Financial Impact of a Lost Season

37 minutes ago, garfield said:

THIS is a GREAT job for the DCI office to coordinate!  Get every corps that agrees to rent it's kitchen to feed the people in the temporary hospitals.

Unfortunately, like food trucks, they'll have to coordinate to prevent people bunching up at the window, but this might be a way to generate income on assets for each corps that has a truck.

HockeyDad will be pleased, and I'm HIGHLY impressed that you (yes, especially YOU :whip:) came up with it.

Well, "they" say that I'm smarter than your average bear.  I'm still trying to identify "they".  :whistle:

Edited by keystone3ply
correction
  • Haha 1

Just now, keystone3ply said:

Well, "they" say that I'm smarter than your average bear.  I'm still trying to identify "they".  :whistle:

As an equipmment trailer driver for a corps.  Food trailers set up at Interstate rest areas would be something that would work. No need to exit and hunt for a drive thru (could not fit anyway). Avoid hunting for service in strange areas. Not having to deviate from destination.  Basic burgers , fresh veggies. The trailers are large enough to give validity, and the method of dispensing food is quite acceptable for the conditions.. getting a vendor and health certificate would not be difficult given the situation. They would be instant highway diners, without leaving the highway and getting into congested areas. Possibly months of revenue for corps.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, garfield said:

Really?  Please describe.

Serious question.

DCI has essentially zero revenue other than the production of shows.  The thundering cry of the masses to "cancel the season" forced them into an action that eliminates their only means of survival.  No shows, no money.

It's like you bring the virus home to your family, and they make you take the pill and off yourself to prevent any of them from getting sick.  The problem is, the whole family was dependent on you to begin with, and now faces starvation. 

Edited by TwoValves
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluehull said:

As an equipmment trailer driver for a corps.  Food trailers set up at Interstate rest areas would be something that would work. No need to exit and hunt for a drive thru (could not fit anyway). Avoid hunting for service in strange areas. Not having to deviate from destination.  Basic burgers , fresh veggies. The trailers are large enough to give validity, and the method of dispensing food is quite acceptable for the conditions.. getting a vendor and health certificate would not be difficult given the situation. They would be instant highway diners, without leaving the highway and getting into congested areas. Possibly months of revenue for corps.

While I LOVE the creativity and thoughtfulness of this idea, we have to remember that even in a crisis situation, we still live in a society filled with bureaucratic rules and petty government enforcers.  No way in hell would they ever allow this to happen.  Health Departments would swoop in and shut them down for not getting permits, passing inspections, etc.  It would be great if we had the common sense to suspend those kinds of regulations in serious times, but we don't.  

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, TwoValves said:

While I LOVE the creativity and thoughtfulness of this idea, we have to remember that even in a crisis situation, we still live in a society filled with bureaucratic rules and petty government enforcers.  No way in hell would they ever allow this to happen.  Health Departments would swoop in and shut them down for not getting permits, passing inspections, etc.  It would be great if we had the common sense to suspend those kinds of regulations in serious times, but we don't.  

If each corps desiring to do this approached a government agency to run the operation, either local or FEMA, then the above would really not be an issue. Similar types of things where companies are loaning trucks and trailers are already being done.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

My first thought was that FEMA could hire their food trucks to possibly feed health care workers at the field hospitals that are being set up on both the East & West coasts.  Of course, the Army Corps of Engineers may already have this covered.    

10 hours ago, garfield said:

THIS is a GREAT job for the DCI office to coordinate!  Get every corps that agrees to rent it's kitchen to feed the people in the temporary hospitals.

Unfortunately, like food trucks, they'll have to coordinate to prevent people bunching up at the window, but this might be a way to generate income on assets for each corps that has a truck.

HockeyDad will be pleased, and I'm HIGHLY impressed that you (yes, especially YOU :whip:) came up with it.

The way Salvation Army, Red Cross & many other relief groups run kitchens is to just show up & start feeding people.

I personally witnessed this after 9-11 at Pentagon - they just showed up & started feeding responders, construction workers (who also 'just showed up').  Same thing in Louisiana after Katrina - they drove south until they couldn't get any further & that is where they first set up shop.

Dealing with some local gov't to 'rent' our food truck is likely way down the priority list for governments.

If a Corps has a lot of food on hand that will go bad before the 2021 season they could load up the truck & go to the nearest Covid-19 hotspot.  But they shouldn't expect reimbursement.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
1-tick for English execution
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, TwoValves said:

Yes, you do raise valid points, and yes these people would establish hurdles. Maybe or maybe not these could be surmounted given the situation, especially the logistics of maneuvering a 53' trailer (70' total length)  off a ramp into a specified area to get take out. Of course regulations would have to be followed. If this was a two week thing it might not be worth a try, but it at the moment seems indefinite.   Just thought we might beat someone else to the punch giving it a try

After being ‘anonymously’ tipped-off about the cancellation of the 2020 tour, The Allentown Morning Call today includes a lengthy article about the loss of revenue to the area. I can’t provide a direct link at this moment. Someone else please do.

I can say, the total tourism income loss here will be much greater than the new Tourism Bureau director states. 

I think that if you are getting some of this relief money from the federal government ( $1200 or $2400) and you do not really need it for your family maybe some of it can be donated to the corps of your choice. I know everyone really doesn't need this money, so maybe this could be  way to help a struggling corps.