Financial Impact of a Lost Season

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

If each corps desiring to do this approached a government agency to run the operation, either local or FEMA, then the above would really not be an issue. Similar types of things where companies are loaning trucks and trailers are already being done.

More importantly, who will do the cooking in the cramped, non-social-distancing-compliant space of a food truck?  

21 minutes ago, garfield said:

H1B visas from China are probably out of the question, huh?

Aren't food workers covered by H2B visas?

59 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

After being ‘anonymously’ tipped-off about the cancellation of the 2020 tour, The Allentown Morning Call today includes a lengthy article about the loss of revenue to the area. I can’t provide a direct link at this moment. Someone else please do.

I can say, the total tourism income loss here will be much greater than the new Tourism Bureau director states. 

Is it this one?

https://www.mcall.com/coronavirus/mc-nws-coronavirus-drum-bugle-20200327-r5a3fid3ojgyzhcxw4upywli4i-story.html

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Must be.  I can’t find it by link because I’m locked behind their pay wall and only get to see about a dozen free articles. I did read a hard copy. 

Thank you for getting this up!

45 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Interesting link. For years I have gone to Allentown but it’s easy to forget that for a good number of us, it is a weekend event that is held at night which means hotels and a good amount of free time which most likely includes spending money. It may not a be a huge blow in all places, but in a city like Allentown which struggles, every little bit helps and any loss hurts. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Aren't food workers covered by H2B visas?

Probably?  Maybe?  Don't know.  Didn't look it up.

See, it was a joke.  Supposed to be funny.  

You remember what that was like, before the world was coming to an end, don't you?

It was a happy time.  (Still is.)

We can go back there!  Come along!  It'll be fun!

:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Tim -

YES !

Few understand the true financial spin-offs associated with an event like Allentown. Unless they are a hotel owner, a restaurant, etc., they have no idea how this all impacts collectively. Like a corps staff who spends $1000 at a local grocery store for ingredients, hundreds of coin-op wash loads. 

What’s always been a marketing key for me is the amount of NEW money brought in by drum corps. This is money spent in the Allentown Area that would not have been spent here otherwise. Allentown is a mostly, non-local crowd. I estimate 80% to be visitors to the area, at minimum.

The amount of lost revenue can be much greater than folks understand in most small and medium markets.

Huge cities are featured on official tourism industry graphs. Nearby Philadelphia uses a tourist spending multiplier at about $275 per day, per person, on average. Prices for all relevant items are no different in Allentown than in Philadelphia. Philadelphia hotel prices are frequently lower, actually.

If a show sponsor can snare many LOCAL sponsors, and the ‘right’ sponsors speak out, bigger things can happen!

Most tourism agencies exaggerate things. Today’s announcement is FAR from reality.

Edited by Fred Windish

7 hours ago, garfield said:

THIS is a GREAT job for the DCI office to coordinate!  Get every corps that agrees to rent it's kitchen to feed the people in the temporary hospitals.

Unfortunately, like food trucks, they'll have to coordinate to prevent people bunching up at the window, but this might be a way to generate income on assets for each corps that has a truck.

HockeyDad will be pleased, and I'm HIGHLY impressed that you (yes, especially YOU :whip:) came up with it.

i said it a few days in a thread somewhere on here. it's happened before...Surf i believe after Sandy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Probably?  Maybe?  Don't know.  Didn't look it up.

See, it was a joke.  Supposed to be funny.  

You remember what that was like, before the world was coming to an end, don't you?

It was a happy time.  (Still is.)

We can go back there!  Come along!  It'll be fun!

:rolleyes:

EUOI4vPXgAE3Pxn?format=jpg&name=small

• Haha 2