Boston Crusaders 2021

39 minutes ago, craiga said:

So, I need to revise and extend my prior posts. I actually drove down to Portsmouth, NH last night and watched BAC's full ensemble rehearsal...which ironically was their first using the panels.  I will only say two things in the hope that nothing comes ascross as hype. First, the props work flawlessly and were not nearly as distracting as I had feared. They were actually more complimentary in nature than I had expected, to my great relief.  

As for the show itself, this year's offering from Boston is absolutely the next logical step in the progession from Wicked Games, SOS, and Goliath. The guard is once again a thrill ride (now with 58 of them) and I will say simply that I've never heard a BAC horn line sound like this, especially the trumpets. This is the 5th year (4th show) from this design team and none of this should be surprising to anyone. Last night, Gino and Colin were the primary voices running ensemble and they were teaching as if there was a major regional this weekend.  Also, and this doesn't get mentioned much....it occurred to me last night that almost all of the caption techs on the field are same people who came on board 5 years ago as well.  I've been around Boston since the late 70s and I have never seen anything like the staff retention there is at present.  I think the biggest criticism BAC may face from some quarters this week will be in the form of why have they spent so much creative and financial energy on this show. It seems clear they are playing the long game here.  Regardless, I do believe the corps will be a crowd favorite this season, and the kids are having a blast. One last thing.....for those of us who consider ourselves legacy fans (dinosaurs to some😁) there are musical Easter Eggs throughout the show, including one at the very end which had all the Boston alums in tears last night.  I really hope everyone gets a chance to see them and enjoy the show.

Awesome! and thanks for settling my mind on the props, even though yet to be seen.

I agree wholeheartedly with Craiga’s assessment of BAC’s ensemble rehearsal last night in Portsmouth.  The production is dynamic and exhausting in terms of movement.  The brass line is very very strong and percussion greatly improved.  The guard is incredible and huge.  This is def a fun show for BAC.  Different in a way than past shows but no less creative and demanding.  They are certainly showing they are not backing off of performance or quality levels for this years return to the field.  The video package is done very well.  It does not take over the production and simply adds a little more flavor to the theme.  Keith Potter has done a masterful job incorporating this concept and its execution into the production making it a new element of the visual with it being the dominant element.  This is a great way to see the next thing in DC.  This is a fan friendly production and given the loss of last year and the difficulties of this year,  it is what’s needed.  I hope everyone enjoys it and appreciates this would be a tremendously competitive show.  These kids are real good and having a great time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, craiga said:

I will say simply that I've never heard a BAC horn line sound like this, especially the trumpets.  

The brass has a difficult run early in their show, which Gino posted on instagram, and has to be the most challenging one they've eva had.  It was clean and loud.  My old ears couldn't hear any marbles rolling within each brass section.

8 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

They are certainly showing they are not backing off of performance or quality levels for this years return to the field.   

It's not a quote, but several videos by management/staff for some time have stated they will continue to field shows that will continue to move Boston to the top.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, craiga said:

One last thing.....for those of us who consider ourselves legacy fans (dinosaurs to some😁) there are musical Easter Eggs throughout the show, including one at the very end which had all the Boston alums in tears last night.  I really hope everyone gets a chance to see them and enjoy the show.

No tears for me.  Major chills.

I watched the concert in Boston on video. Must say I think the brass line is truly amazing! This may be their best brass line yet. While I am not a great judge of percussion I thought they sounded absolutely fabulous and fairly clean. Looking forward to seeing Boston. I love the rapper in the show as well. Very cool! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

Thanks for posting this link.  Very impressive for sure.  The video boards could be interesting as well as being a potentially great fund raiser.

This seems to be a great show that I'm sure will be even more impressive when the guard is there.  The rapper was not offensive and how can you go wrong mentioning Dale Earnhardt.  Nice touch with the video board showing the red car racing the bloo car 🙂 

Look forward to seeing this one.

• Like 1

The guard is awesome- again. Percussion is incredible- again. My jury is still out on the video boards. Part of me thought they were a little distracting and not tying into the program very well, plus some of the synch between individual corps members playing live simultaneously with video was off a tad, but the other part of me thought this is truly a neat innovation and could become the next big thing in drum corps.