Boston Crusaders 2021

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

The video boards should have been placed in the back of the field. They force the corps to perform almost all the show to the right of the 50 yard line. We'll see how many corps copy this trend next year.  

Corps do that now, whether it is right side or left side or front.  I don’t believe BD went past the back hashes in their past shows.  And the diner closed of a hood part of the field.

and Boston’s guard is behind the screens for a big chunk that may not read as much from a low vantage point, but will from LOS.

I find myself ignoring the boards most of the time - except when they aren't functioning properly.  I think it's a good lesson for the manufacturer as to what Drum Corps can do to equipment - and this is a SHORT season!!  The wear & tear is incredible!  My concern for using them in the future would be the setup time.  BAC, or any other corps for that matter, would most certainly have received a time penalty for the amount of time it takes to get this bad boys ready.  Great in theory, but I know this corps is better than needing a distraction on the field.  They are pure power this year, especially that horn-line!!

BAC has what it takes - and the design staff is incredible.  It just needs to happen at the right time.  Next year could be it (which would be awesome), but it's that magic combination that just comes together at the right moment.  I think the members are ready, I know the staff are ready, and the age-outs are 100% ready.  Let's do this BAC!  Let's B-the-C!!!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Corps do that now, whether it is right side or left side or front.  I don’t believe BD went past the back hashes in their past shows.  And the diner closed of a hood part of the field. 

Not all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3X1lIUzg2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7pOVHHjD_U

And check out 12-14

8 hours ago, LabMaster said:

In response to your observations & hopefully providing some points to consider:  “very little cohesion to the performance”; there is a mix of things happening here.  The video content is telling a story relative to the theme of Zoom. It is also accentuating some of the written brass and percussion writing.  Watch the screens alone while listening to the music.  Ignore the visual movement of the corps proper for a moment.  The screens themselves become part of the visual picture at the end of a production with the video content finishing off a brass line visual move.  My point is, there is a lot going on with the content interplay with music AND visual movement.  The storytelling element shows the winter zoom rehearsals coming together at ST, then to the field today.  Given this is the first time something like this has been brought to the field in DC, it’s pretty good and very interesting to see it being done.  A lot is being learned.  I believe once this show gets to Indy, a much higher viewpoint will give the performance/design a different look; which may negate the field blockage you believe is a problem.  I thought a lot of BD and Bluecoats props in recent years had a high degree of field blockage. I’m thinking of a diner and ramp backdrops.  

As far as the “new” BAC AS YOU PUT IT, having a Crown influence in the look and style;  Well, yeah!  The visual staff is from Crown.  Why wouldn’t there be?  It’s not a bad thing.   However,  the program growth is Boston.  I see it as not a Crown look, but a Keith Potter, Leon May and Michael Townsend look, that has become Boston’s look.

Im not sure what an expectation of groundbreaking drill or book might be but the screens to me would fall into that category. 

Fair enough .. that is a lot of dots to connect to come up with the relevance of the video boards. It seems pretty simple. They thought it would be cool and different  .. for me it doesn’t deliver on the small screen. 
I disagree on the visual repetition from Crown .. those individuals are talented and know more than “verbatim” repetition from their previous corps. I mean seriously you can’t even find a new show font between Relentless and Goliath ?  The puffs of smoke on the video boards’ visual content  .. everything their doing basically is what they did at Crown resorted .. it’s just a bit much for me. I don’t look at Crown now and think .. wow they look just like the Cadets.  Just my observation  my opinion  ..  that’s all.  

It really is the “new” BAC because they are a completely different corps with the  new staff. I like their shows now .. but I fear like Crown .. that type of show just maxes out .. this  particular staff has problems getting VA and GE and music all sync’ed into a championship show. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BWise said:

Fair enough .. that is a lot of dots to connect to come up with the relevance of the video boards. It seems pretty simple. They thought it would be cool and different  .. for me it doesn’t deliver on the small screen. 
I disagree on the visual repetition from Crown .. those individuals are talented and know more than “verbatim” repetition from their previous corps. I mean seriously you can’t even find a new show font between Relentless and Goliath ?  The puffs of smoke on the video boards’ visual content  .. everything their doing basically is what they did at Crown resorted .. it’s just a bit much for me. I don’t look at Crown now and think .. wow they look just like the Cadets.  Just my observation  my opinion  ..  that’s all.  

It really is the “new” BAC because they are a completely different corps with the  new staff. I like their shows now .. but I fear like Crown .. that type of show just maxes out .. this  particular staff has problems getting VA and GE and music all sync’ed into a championship show. 

I agree that the video is a hard read on the small screen.  There is more impact live.  And my first viewing I thought the screens themselves were cool.  I reviewed a performance video and focused on the screens and listened to the music and got a better feel for the coordination and what they offer.  Still hard to read it all together.  Much more work needed for finding the right integration of video content and the visual/music design.

it is the new BAC because they took a huge leap forward in total program changes when the new staff came on board.  But you could say the music program has “Cadet” influences as much as visual has “Crown” influence, but I still believe design and production have staff influences because they (staff) design and teach as they always have and do, wherever they are.  Potter, May and Townsend created the Crown look that Crown was most recently known for.  Now they are doing it with Boston.  That’s  just my opinion.  All that said, I think there is a lot more new things this team has not shown yet.  We’ll see in the seasons to come.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I agree that the video is a hard read on the small screen.  There is more impact live.  And my first viewing I thought the screens themselves were cool.  I reviewed a performance video and focused on the screens and listened to the music and got a better feel for the coordination and what they offer.  Still hard to read it all together.  Much more work needed for finding the right integration of video content and the visual/music design.

it is the new BAC because they took a huge leap forward in total program changes when the new staff came on board.  But you could say the music program has “Cadet” influences as much as visual has “Crown” influence, but I still believe design and production have staff influences because they (staff) design and teach as they always have and do, wherever they are.  Potter, May and Townsend created the Crown look that Crown was most recently known for.  Now they are doing it with Boston.  That’s  just my opinion.  All that said, I think there is a lot more new things this team has not shown yet.  We’ll see in the seasons to come.

Yeah .. agree to a certain extent. But that was like 16 years at Crown for many of those folks so I think they developed together and Crown helped make them who they are today. ..  so it’s a two way street .. and maybe they could stretch a little out of their Crown box for BAC. 

2 hours ago, BWise said:

Yeah .. agree to a certain extent. But that was like 16 years at Crown for many of those folks so I think they developed together and Crown helped make them who they are today. ..  so it’s a two way street .. and maybe they could stretch a little out of their Crown box for BAC. 

How about THEY made Crown who they are!  Is Crown who they were 4 years ago visually?  Or are they different?  It’s not a Crown thing at Boston.  It’s a Potter, May, Townsend thing, that is becoming a Boston thing.

10 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

The video boards should have been placed in the back of the field. They force the corps to perform almost all the show to the right of the 50 yard line. We'll see how many corps copy this trend next year.  

The boards take up only a little more visual space than the “attic walls” Prop cadets are using and no one complains about that placement. 

1 hour ago, Den8uml said:

The boards take up only a little more visual space than the “attic walls” Prop cadets are using and no one complains about that placement. 

Agreed. 

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

How about THEY made Crown who they are!  Is Crown who they were 4 years ago visually?  Or are they different?  It’s not a Crown thing at Boston.  It’s a Potter, May, Townsend thing, that is becoming a Boston thing.

We shall see .. Crown is a mix of their past present and future. And if the Boston thing is ok throwing out everything they were over their many years and becoming what another corps was .. nothing wrong with that. I am just bringing the point up.. 

• Confused 1