Boston Crusaders 2021

3 hours ago, bluehull said:

At Castleton, it was very much a show atmosphere. The stands were full and two deep standing above the seating..  Do not know the capacity, but it was comparable to a show on tour. The corps got a standing ovation  parking lots were full, and I observed license plates from ten states.  That training facility is a home run.

It is a beautiful stadium, however it is very tiny with 1,600 seats.  A BAC buddy of mine and I tried to get a drum corps show there a couple years ago. DCI said no, but would consider a D2 show.

8 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I looked back a couple pages and didn't see this posted. This is some next level stuff.

https://twitter.com/bostoncrusaders/status/1420490175487037441?s=20

They look realy good. But i am concern they might be distracting

• Confused 1

The digital screens will be interesting. Definitely the next area to explore. When Tarpon Springs used them a couple years ago at BOA I was disappointed in what they added to the show.

If used effectively I think they essentially add another dimension to the show whether they should be allowed I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

The digital screens will be interesting. Definitely the next area to explore. When Tarpon Springs used them a couple years ago at BOA I was disappointed in what they added to the show.

If used effectively I think they essentially add another dimension to the show whether they should be allowed I don't know.

it's a terrible idea IMO

I've got to say that I am reserving judgement until I see them live in use next week. Although as I said I have seen almost the whole show live while they were in Vermont, I did not experience the screens.  They seem to have the technology figured out, but I hope we don't get too mesmerized by the bright screens and end up missing the really cool elements of the show.  The good news is that the show is not dependent on the screens and really stands very well on its own.  I am very supportive of BAC trying new things but it will be interesting to see how these work out in a real performance venue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Also, I suspect that these will be more effective in huge venues like Lucas, where you can look down from section 640 and see the entire field in a glance.  In smaller shows (like Quincy and Lawrence next week) I can imagine having to choose between looking at the hornline forms and amazing guard stuff or the screens.  Don't want to be the moth attracted to the flames....but more than willing to give it a chance.  I do have reason to believe the content they have planned will be pretty cool.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, I need to revise and extend my prior posts. I actually drove down to Portsmouth, NH last night and watched BAC's full ensemble rehearsal...which ironically was their first using the panels.  I will only say two things in the hope that nothing comes ascross as hype. First, the props work flawlessly and were not nearly as distracting as I had feared. They were actually more complimentary in nature than I had expected, to my great relief.  

As for the show itself, this year's offering from Boston is absolutely the next logical step in the progession from Wicked Games, SOS, and Goliath. The guard is once again a thrill ride (now with 58 of them) and I will say simply that I've never heard a BAC horn line sound like this, especially the trumpets. This is the 5th year (4th show) from this design team and none of this should be surprising to anyone. Last night, Gino and Colin were the primary voices running ensemble and they were teaching as if there was a major regional this weekend.  Also, and this doesn't get mentioned much....it occurred to me last night that almost all of the caption techs on the field are same people who came on board 5 years ago as well.  I've been around Boston since the late 70s and I have never seen anything like the staff retention there is at present.  I think the biggest criticism BAC may face from some quarters this week will be in the form of why have they spent so much creative and financial energy on this show. It seems clear they are playing the long game here.  Regardless, I do believe the corps will be a crowd favorite this season, and the kids are having a blast. One last thing.....for those of us who consider ourselves legacy fans (dinosaurs to some😁) there are musical Easter Eggs throughout the show, including one at the very end which had all the Boston alums in tears last night.  I really hope everyone gets a chance to see them and enjoy the show.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2