The 1989 Thread

It's going to be a long few months. Because of this, I have decided to start a new series of threads in which we can discuss the last thirty-odd years of drum corps, one year at a time. Talk about your favorite memories of these seasons. Did you march? Tell us your stories. Did you teach? Were you a parent, a volunteer? Were you not born yet? What shows did you attend? 

Any favorite shows, especially ones that may not be as familiar to some? Controversial takes on finals placement? Fun debates on DCP (RAMD, in Drum Corps World)?

Link some videos that we may not have seen. Or that we have seen. I'm reaching here.

I'm beginning with 1989, as the 'Historical' forums (remember those?) are for before 1989.

I was not a DCI 'fan' in 1989, although I dug watching the videos during rainy days at band camp. But when I really got into DCI a year later, Cavaliers and Blue Devils were regulars in my cassette tape player. 

Are the judges ready? Are your memories ready? Drum Corps International proudly presents:1989!

• Like 2

I’m not a fan of historical forum. There are so few regulars on DCP to begin with. Why separate the group?  So go for it IMO. 

Edited by HockeyDad

9 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I’m not a fan of historical forum. There are so few regulars on DCP to begin with. Why separate the group?  So go for it IMO. 

I agree we don’t need to separate the group though from time to time I enjoy the historical thread. I always thought the cut off for the historical thread should have been 1978. If you watch 1979, you see more of the roots of what drum corps evolved into, whether you like it or loathe it and it further develops in 1980. 

For me, 1989 is a great year to begin. Two of my favorite shows are 1989 SCV and 1989 Phantom. I agree with those who say Phantom was robbed and if SCV had placed second, I would have agreed with those who would be saying SCV was robbed. Talk about taking both sides!😀

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 2

I enjoy a discussion like this, but have a problem.

Although I was very active all around the country in 1989, at my age . . . I have trouble remembering much of it accurately !

🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If it had been a tie I don't think too many people would have complained.

OK, never mind, this is DCP, they would have complained. But there would have been spirited defenses for both corps.

Other shows that year that really resonated with me were the Cadets "Les Mis" show and Freelancers doing John Williams. Madison also.

• Like 1