The 1989 Thread

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

What did they end with before?  So frustrating that there's so little footage from midseasons back when.  (I know, I know, VHS, etc.)

Mike

they had at least 7 different endings that season

1 hour ago, craiga said:

1989 was one of my favorite seasons. I was teaching and on the road with BAC that summer.  I think they came in 17th...not bad for only 40 horns!  And, if my memory serves me (it WAS over 30 years ago after all), I have the distinct recollection that Boston was on late at night in semis, wedged right between PR and BD.  I know this sounds preposterous, but I am 99% sure that's when we went on.  Anyway, the corps was very tight and extremely clean that summer, with a very visceral vintage Boston show.  It was a pleasure to teach them!

a very underrated year for BAC

10 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

89 was an interesting year. Star of Indiana came west and actually beat BD in a few shows. To be honest the 88 SCV doing Phantom of the Opera was better as a viewer at least for me than 89 Phantom of the Opera. Actually really didn't care for the 89 version. Technically yes it was better but it just didn't connect. Actually my favorite corp that year was the Cavaliers. The opener Gloria was splendid.

They did! To me it was an example of room to improve. I don't necessarily thing Star peeked early, but BD had a lot more room to grow into their show score wise. It's like the battle for 12th place now. If you're on the bubble, you HAVE to have some points up your sleeve to grow into. 

16 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Definitely felt bigger than 0.3.  There was a massive leap in complexity between Star and Cadets.  But then a massive leap between the bottom 6 and Star too.

Mike

Star was cleaner...cadets was GE to the max. again constantly changing the ending held them back

I marched Freelancers in 1989... we had a chip on our shoulder that season, and were a veteran corps having only lost a handful of age outs from the previous year. The 1989 corps had practically grown up together for the two previous seasons, and after going back and forth with Hutch in 1988 we were battle-tested. '88 was a fun year and we had exceeded expectations, but still felt a little dissed after placing 15th. '89 was much more focused. We started the season strong, but made some major changes after first tour, which included moving pieces from the front of the show to the back half the show.  The hornline was on fire towards the end of the season, at one point beating Cadets. Our finals show was Meh... I think we were all exhausted and just happy to have reached our goal which was making it to Saturday night. But I still think our best show of the year was Semifinals. Just so much #### energy, we left everything on the field that night, and the crowd was really into it. I wish I could find a copy of that semifinals show. 

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Star was cleaner...cadets was GE to the max. again constantly changing the ending held them back

Star outscored Cadets in drums that year as well. I kinda miss the old Premier Resonators. I think SCV used them in the late 80s as well...maybe 86 or 87.