The 1989 Thread

16 minutes ago, MikeN said:

This was also the year that Blue Devils used Premier prototype free-floating snares, if I remember correctly.  Star did too.

Mike

Premier HTS 484's. Oh look!! I happen to have one of their snares!! My brother was going to school at Valpo that year and I went to Bloomington for a college visit. I specifically wanted to march Star. I made some connections up there and managed to buy one of the snares in '94. I recovered it and put one of the newer premier stickers on it probably 15 or so years ago.

20200330-172633.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I nearly Forgot ... Star had a small snare line, but every tenor had a snare in the center (where a Spock usually sits) that had the "Scottish" tamber.

16 minutes ago, supersop said:

I nearly Forgot ... Star had a small snare line, but every tenor had a snare in the center (where a Spock usually sits) that had the "Scottish" tamber.

Correct. They were fixed top snares like the 200 had.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
Forgot it was 200 not 284

Cavies: this show was visually stunning and well deserving of finishing in 3rd. I do believe this show propelled and prepared them for their first two championships.  

Phantom: their closer was insanely powerful and that hornline was crisp. How crisp? Like that nice crispy thin crust pizza that you might have cooking in your oven right now. 

SCV: Ok, this show still had my favorite contra line in DCI history. I am not a big fan of Phantom of the Opera, but this show practically has one dynamic.... and it's ffff...... and I love it.

I remember there was a show in Appleton during second tour and the Velvet Knights were there. They took the field with a skeleton corps as most of the members were on the buses with a severe case of the tour plague. I still remember seeing some of their members walking off the bus covered in blankets and puking. :25_money_mouth:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, supersop said:

Star won field drums in Semi Finals 14.7 to 14.6 over SCV

SCV won drums on Finals night and Star ended up 3rd because of that fuzzy roll in the opener.

I think Ream is thinking about 1990. Although, Cadets were winning Drums for most of the year in 1989, until the week of Finals.  Still a mystery on how they slotted down to 6th at Quarters, 4th at Semis and 4th Finals night.

Here is the Field Perc. tape from Star at Semis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Premier HTS 484's. Oh look!! I happen to have one of their snares!! My brother was going to school at Valpo that year and I went to Bloomington for a college visit. I specifically wanted to march Star. I made some connections up there and managed to buy one of the snares in '94. I recovered it and put one of the newer premier stickers on it probably 15 or so years ago.

20200330-172633.jpg

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

This was also the year that Blue Devils used Premier prototype free-floating snares, if I remember correctly.  Star did too.

Mike

What is a free floating snare drum?  Do they levitate? 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

What is a free floating snare drum?  Do they levitate? 

The tension rods aren't mounted to the shell the way that traditional drums were previously. The tension rods are instead attached to the rims and a tension ring creating a free floating "cage." That eliminates the excessive tension caused by Kevlar and what we used to call "double rimming" heads. 

I remember my first year in corps, we collapsed probably at least 5 shells during the season and we didn't use free floaters. I also remember someone coming to tryouts with Spirit with a Remo Power Stroke III head and Scott Brown hating the sound so much that he jammed a drumstick through it. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, craiga said:

So, I can virtually name those guys you were speaking with in 1990.  Eric G was the DM.  Jimmy C was the contra section leader, and those two "Old School" baris were most likely the Dorchester/Milton boys...Chris H and Matt R.

For the record, Jimmy C is now the President of the Inspire BOD and Chris H is none other than Christopher Holland, Exec Director of the Boston Crusaders.

Hmm.....interesting...no?

Actually, Jimmy was already DM by 1990.  Don't know what I was thinking. Eric was DM 88 & 89.