The 1989 Thread

34 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I was in the middle of my Drum Corps coma in 1989, but it looked like a really good year.  I also notice the absence of props and everything looked

just

fine. 

I guess you missed VK, SCV, The Marauders, etc......

I was barely alive.  

One of Phantom's best shows of all time if not their absolute best. This show is absolutely amazing and probably the biggest standout of 1989.

VK also had a fun show but not as memorable as 87,88,92.

I really enjoy SCV and think this show is a classic.  A do-over would never fly today though, let alone win.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

The Blue Devils Premiers with the Yamaha stickers on them. :thumbup:

To be fair, they had yamaha badges on them too lol. My thought at the time, was that they were Yammy shells with no holes drilled....just a badge / air vent inside a Premier frame. They had Yamaha throw offs from the old "Field Corps" 12 luggers as well from what I remember. But they had the warm (hollow,) deep (clunky) sound of the Premier HTS. 

I will say this though....you could crank the s### out of 'em. Instead of the old 80s big hair "tease it to Jesus" we used to say "crank it to the moon." We even double rimmed one once to see if we could make it collapse....but we only managed to break the drum key. 

My HTS sounds great BTW. But only because I worked for a drum builder for a while and learned how to recut bearing edges.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, supersop said:

I guess you missed VK, SCV, The Marauders, etc......

In terms of props, what Santa Clara did in 1989 is nothing like what I see today.  I did miss Velvet Knights (along with everyone else) because I don't care for them.  

I don't know who the Marauders are.  

34 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

The Blue Devils Premiers with the Yamaha stickers on them. :thumbup:

I almost forgot that PR used those crazy Pearl Criterions with the Ludwig HV style split shell too. An odd year for battery percussion for sure. 

8 hours ago, denmum said:

But remember what happened at Finals on sat. night with BD's ballad?

The Frack, awful as it was, would not have changed things....the point differential between BD and Cavies was too much to begin with, even if he'd nailed it like at prelims.

BD would still end up in 4th.

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

The Frack, awful as it was, would not have changed things....the point differential between BD and Cavies was too much to begin with, even if he'd nailed it like at prelims.

BD would still end up in 4th.

You're probably right.