The 1989 Thread

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

when you hit it right, the sound it makes sounds like "spock". i think it's a Hardimon thing

You cats never called them gocks or gook drums Jeff? Maybe it's just a southern thing lol.

3 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

You cats never called them gocks or gook drums Jeff? Maybe it's just a southern thing lol.

oh we have used everything. spock, gock, gok, popper, 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

FWIW, our drum instructor marched 1982 BD; he referred to them as 'gock' drums.  Maybe gock evolved to spock or vice versa?

Ha!! I knew I wasn't completely insane! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 

Ok maybe I'm going insane...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

FWIW, our drum instructor marched 1982 BD; he referred to them as 'gock' drums.  Maybe gock evolved to spock or vice versa?

Probably gock to Spock. Gock could be misinterpreted slightly more easily (though I never remember punches being pulled in drum corps lol.)

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Now just imagine how nasty heavy the septoms from SOA in 1977 were lol. I wanna say they were 10-12-12-14-14-16-16 from what I was told. I don't even know what you could even call the "Spock" really. 

CCF00011905_00007.jpg

For a while they marched North drums, inc snares.  Got rid of them quick - weighed too much and made ticks much easier to hear.

• Like 1

89...top 2 both great. i liked Phantom better than SCV...i think the 88 SCV versionw as far better, but Phantoms drums on the ride part...oh my god live it was hideous

Cavies....looking back you can see where it was going...BD...that solo....Cadets...man if they had had that ending...Star...good show, but top to bottom didn't have the oomph future years did..

Maidson...just didn't and still don't like it....Bloo....about usual for them...Suncoast...fun, i liked 85 better...Freelancers welcome back!!...VK so much fun, and Crossmen welcome back, so love that show, tho i do like 88 better....

under the top 12...I LOVE Spirit and Sky Ryders

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

For a while they marched North drums, inc snares.  Got rid of them quick - weighed too much and made ticks much easier to hear.

I remember seeing the north drums and then of course BD brought them back for part of the show in 86'. I also know Jeff and a few others marched Stingrays which were pretty much the same thing. I had to play on a Remo Legato at PAS one year for some show and it was pretty hefty for being made of what appeared to be cardboard and tinfoil.

Tenor part difficulty evolved SO much from the mid to late 80s and then into the 90s. Tenor players now (because there's no tick system I'm guessing) play a lot more notes. I remember vividly the tenor parts between 87 and 90 and they're nothing like today lol. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I almost forgot that PR used those crazy Pearl Criterions with the Ludwig HV style split shell too. An odd year for battery percussion for sure. 

Oh, man - I *loved* those split shells.  They did it again in '91 with the free floaters - it was beautiful.

Mike

• Like 2