The 1989 Thread

49 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Oh, man - I *loved* those split shells.  They did it again in '91 with the free floaters - it was beautiful.

Mike

I got to play with one of the Ludwig Challenger HV's once. It made this satisfying "creaking" noise everytime you would crank the head that let you know that imminent shell collapse was just around the corner.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I remember seeing the north drums and then of course BD brought them back for part of the show in 86'. I also know Jeff and a few others marched Stingrays which were pretty much the same thing. I had to play on a Remo Legato at PAS one year for some show and it was pretty hefty for being made of what appeared to be cardboard and tinfoil.

Tenor part difficulty evolved SO much from the mid to late 80s and then into the 90s. Tenor players now (because there's no tick system I'm guessing) play a lot more notes. I remember vividly the tenor parts between 87 and 90 and they're nothing like today lol. 

i only played bass, so i avoided the Stingray wedge. in facts we didn't use them that long and went back to regular styled Stingrays.

remember...Stingray...the best reason to play Pearl! ( or yamaha, Premier, Ludwig, Dynasty, trash cans, bus seats.....)

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i only played bass, so i avoided the Stingray wedge. in facts we didn't use them that long and went back to regular styled Stingrays.

remember...Stingray...the best reason to play Pearl! ( or yamaha, Premier, Ludwig, Dynasty, trash cans, bus seats.....)

Hey I played a season on Corders....I have seen the end times..lol.corder-fibes-jasper-shell-marching_360_9

Just reading this thread makes my brain play that thrilling trumpet call from New World Symphony. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Hey I played a season on Corders....I have seen the end times..lol.corder-fibes-jasper-shell-marching_360_9

did you have to triple hoop the snares?

20 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

did you have to triple hoop the snares?

They still would have sounded like s###....and then exploded out of additional spite lol. 

21 hours ago, corps8294 said:

The Blue Devils Premiers with the Yamaha stickers on them. :thumbup:

You are correct!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

They still would have sounded like s###....and then exploded out of additional spite lol. 

so they were rejected Stingrays

• Haha 1