The 1989 Thread

57 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'll comment on the percussion spread, having been there all 3 days

finals night was deserved.

As was I. Neither of us had our heads in front of those drumlines. Today’s system chops everything in half and usually prevents one number from gashing a corps (BD ‘08 excepted).

1 minute ago, Tad_MMA said:

As was I. Neither of us had our heads in front of those drumlines. Today’s system chops everything in half and usually prevents one number from gashing a corps (BD ‘08 excepted).

rarely do i use the cd as a justification, but it also bears it out. i was 50, 14 rows up. it was audible. My dad, a diehard Phantom Phan looked at me after the ballad and said "drums calls it"

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

rarely do i use the cd as a justification, but it also bears it out. i was 50, 14 rows up. it was audible. My dad, a diehard Phantom Phan looked at me after the ballad and said "drums calls it"

It wasn't dirty by any means but it wasn't as crisp as it had been. There were some fuzzy transitions front to back and I'm still convinced that the tuning at finals sounded a bit different in the tenor line. Again, great line and I auditioned for it so I have nothing bad to say. I just think there were some very minor differences that made for the gap. I won't comment too much on the cymbal ride part in the ballad except to say it wasn't my favorite percussion moment of the season. Still, a very fine line. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

I think ZIngali wrote the 1985 Star drill. It really looks like him. Of course, he wrote '86 before returning to Garfield in '87. Sylvester wrote Suncoast '86, I think. Really? Klesch went back to Cadets from 1990-1992? I'd no idea. Who wrote Star's 1993 horn book?

Marc Sylvester wrote for 27th Lancers in 86.

1989 was the year I met George Zingali. He sat down near me when the Blue Knights took the field in semis. I had no idea who he was but his enthusiasm prompted me to strike up a conversation with him after their performance. I had played Punchinello in high school band so appreciated George’s armchair conducting during that segment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

1989 was the year I met George Zingali. He sat down near me when the Blue Knights took the field in semis. I had no idea who he was but his enthusiasm prompted me to strike up a conversation with him after their performance. I had played Punchinello in high school band so appreciated George’s armchair conducting during that segment. 

Hilarious. I think it was Quarters in '89 where he stood against the front of the overhang and body-conducted them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

I think ZIngali wrote the 1985 Star drill. It really looks like him. Of course, he wrote '86 before returning to Garfield in '87. Sylvester wrote Suncoast '86, I think. Really? Klesch went back to Cadets from 1990-1992? I'd no idea. Who wrote Star's 1993 horn book?

Jim Prime was the brass arranger for Star of Indiana in '93.