The 1989 Thread

1989 is my favorite year of drum corps.

• Like 4

On 3/30/2020 at 1:18 PM, Brian Tuma said:

Suncoast Sound’s final appearance as a World Class (then DI) corps. I liked their fresh take on Florida Suite. 

Then Open Class.  Division I wasn't until 1991

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 1:21 PM, troopers1 said:

Every night, Conquest, huge response.

I had an incredible convo with the DM, contra section leader, and a couple of old-skool baritones in the Allentown lot in 1990 the about the 1986 Malden parade.  They were awesome guys, and bad@sses in the best sense of the word.

Surprised that someone still knows about the Malden Parade. Parade's back then were dangerous for people who got drunk and went after "the band" from Boston. 

On 3/30/2020 at 3:40 PM, craiga said:

So, I can virtually name those guys you were speaking with in 1990.  Eric G was the DM.  Jimmy C was the contra section leader, and those two "Old School" baris were most likely the Dorchester/Milton boys...Chris H and Matt R.

For the record, Jimmy C is now the President of the Inspire BOD and Chris H is none other than Christopher Holland, Exec Director of the Boston Crusaders.

Hmm.....interesting...no?

My recollection of the Dorchester Boys were of them being so young and always goofing around. They were very close friends from what I remember. 

Eric was a great DM 

Everyone of my memories from those years are the best. 

3 hours ago, E3D said:

Surprised that someone still knows about the Malden Parade. Parade's back then were dangerous for people who got drunk and went after "the band" from Boston. 

I was in Troopers that summer.  We waited in the parade staging area for a loooooooong time.   We found out why at the show that night, when the 'Saders showed up with their various slings etc.  

On 3/30/2020 at 1:28 PM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

My dad told me MANY years after this that he had been approached by Suncoast in 88 or 89 to help "reinvent" how their food trucks were to be run. He was a district manager for ARA back then and had drum corps ties from his niece (who marched Bridgemen) and of course, through me. I never did find out if he did anything with them besides a few phone calls. 

So that Suncoast truck went to Carolina Crown, then Jersey Surf.  It's still on the road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1