The 1989 Thread

On 3/30/2020 at 8:41 PM, Newseditor44 said:

I marched Freelancers in 1989... we had a chip on our shoulder that season, and were a veteran corps having only lost a handful of age outs from the previous year. The 1989 corps had practically grown up together for the two previous seasons, and after going back and forth with Hutch in 1988 we were battle-tested. '88 was a fun year and we had exceeded expectations, but still felt a little dissed after placing 15th. '89 was much more focused. We started the season strong, but made some major changes after first tour, which included moving pieces from the front of the show to the back half the show.  The hornline was on fire towards the end of the season, at one point beating Cadets. Our finals show was Meh... I think we were all exhausted and just happy to have reached our goal which was making it to Saturday night. But I still think our best show of the year was Semifinals. Just so much #### energy, we left everything on the field that night, and the crowd was really into it. I wish I could find a copy of that semifinals show. 

Yeah... we were en fuego on Friday night. I marched from 87-92 and 1989 semi finals was the ONLY show that I ever did that I honestly don not remember. I remember going onto the field and my next memory was the last horns down. Everything else... a complete blank.

On 5/3/2020 at 4:32 AM, jwillis35 said:

I thought the Blue Devils performed very well on Finals night in 1989. I felt bad for the kid who missed the note in the solo but he was a great player. I don't think that miss had much of an effect on their brass score. 

Yeah....The Frack didn't really change anything...Cavies were too far ahead for one player to change the outcome, no matter HOW badly his features were played.

Sad thing is, he was nails all season long, but picked THAT performance -- the one that lives forever -- to chow it.

If it had been at quarters or semis, it wouldn't be remembered at all.

6 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

If it had been at quarters or semis, it wouldn't be remembered at all.

And these days, DCI would have just edited the performance on the CD's / DVD's.  (Gotta say, when I hear the semis version of the show, it sounds wrong to hear it played right!)

Mike

So I was a rookout with BK in 89.  One of my craziest memories was at finals.  I did not drink all summer (yes I was 21) so I decided to buy a beer at finals.  OK...two beers.  Man, did they hit me hard, and I thought I was going to fall off the upper deck.  Then I heard the infamous BD soprano solo kack, and just blamed it on my beer. 

Edited by W Meldrum
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

And these days, DCI would have just edited the performance on the CD's / DVD's.  (Gotta say, when I hear the semis version of the show, it sounds wrong to hear it played right!)

Mike

They did edit the performance on the CD's. The opener and the closer were from finals. The two middle charts were from semis. 

8 hours ago, mfrontz said:

They did edit the performance on the CD's. The opener and the closer were from finals. The two middle charts were from semis. 

And that's nothing new....the 83 record of SCV is semis, as is 90 Dutch Boy.