The 1989 Thread

20 minutes ago, Super Don-O said:

If it had been a tie I don't think too many people would have complained.

OK, never mind, this is DCP, they would have complained. But there would have been spirited defenses for both corps.

Other shows that year that really resonated with me were the Cadets "Les Mis" show and Freelancers doing John Williams. Madison also.

That Freelancers opening lick for E.T. was pretty sweet. Unfortunately can't find it on YouTube. Plenty of stuff for other years, though.

Oh my gosh! Madison and 'Make His Praise Glorious!'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mfrontz said:

It's going to be a long few months. Because of this, I have decided to start a new series of threads in which we can discuss the last thirty-odd years of drum corps, one year at a time. Talk about your favorite memories of these seasons. Did you march? Tell us your stories. Did you teach? Were you a parent, a volunteer? Were you not born yet? What shows did you attend? 

Any favorite shows, especially ones that may not be as familiar to some? Controversial takes on finals placement? Fun debates on DCP (RAMD, in Drum Corps World)?

Link some videos that we may not have seen. Or that we have seen. I'm reaching here.

I'm beginning with 1989, as the 'Historical' forums (remember those?) are for before 1989.

I was not a DCI 'fan' in 1989, although I dug watching the videos during rainy days at band camp. But when I really got into DCI a year later, Cavaliers and Blue Devils were regulars in my cassette tape player. 

Are the judges ready? Are your memories ready? Drum Corps International proudly presents:1989!

From DCX - Drum Corps Xperience

Here are the 1989 Repertoires to review

http://www.dcxmuseum.org/index.cfm?roomid=1307&view=decade&option=1980

NOTE:

Velvet Knights Repertoire is listed as World Tour - (Repertoire not available)

On page:

http://www.dcxmuseum.org/index.cfm?view=corpslist&Corpsid=23

1989 Velvet Knights Repertoire is listed as follows:
1989 10 87.300 Adventures on Earth (from E.T.) * Cadillac of the Skies (from Empire of the Sun) * Jim's New Life (from Empire of the Sun) * Streets of Shanghai (from Empire of the Sun) * Home and Hearth (from Empire of the Sun) 

1989 I was working in downtown Minneapolis. That July (Aug?) there were a couple nights of shows (Stillwater and Blaine?). Anyway at lunchtime the second day, Phantom did a standstill at ... NSP Plaza I think was the name of it. On the Nicollet Mall. NSP was the local utility which today is XCEL Energy. Anyway imagine standing mere feet away from a 1989 PR standstill at lunchtime in the middle of downtown Minneapolis. With all the curious onlookers. I was completely and totally blown away. To this day it’s in my short list of all time favorites. Even over 2008.  Their take on “Going Home” with the baritone solo at the end. I can close my eyes and I’m there again. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

1989 I was working in downtown Minneapolis. That July (Aug?) there were a couple nights of shows (Stillwater and Blaine?). Anyway at lunchtime the second day, Phantom did a standstill at ... NSP Plaza I think was the name of it. On the Nicollet Mall. NSP was the local utility which today is XCEL Energy. Anyway imagine standing mere feet away from a 1989 PR standstill at lunchtime in the middle of downtown Minneapolis. With all the curious onlookers. I was completely and totally blown away. To this day it’s in my short list of all time favorites. Even over 2008.  Their take on “Going Home” with the baritone solo at the end. I can close my eyes and I’m there again. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

From DCX - Drum Corps Xperience

Here are the 1989 Repertoires to review

http://www.dcxmuseum.org/index.cfm?roomid=1307&view=decade&option=1980

NOTE:

Velvet Knights Repertoire is listed as World Tour - (Repertoire not available)

On page:

http://www.dcxmuseum.org/index.cfm?view=corpslist&Corpsid=23

1989 Velvet Knights Repertoire is listed as follows:
1989 10 87.300 Adventures on Earth (from E.T.) * Cadillac of the Skies (from Empire of the Sun) * Jim's New Life (from Empire of the Sun) * Streets of Shanghai (from Empire of the Sun) * Home and Hearth (from Empire of the Sun) 

I'm almost sure that's Freelancers repertoire. 

Velvet Knights 11 87.000 Yo Mambo * Velvet Knights in Tunisia * Sing Sing Sing * 'Round Midnight * Kansas City  

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 1

For me it was Weds. night of Finals week in Kansas City and my group would go to Blue Devils final run-through. As they were starting we could see hot air balloons flying over. Just so happens that their ballad-If We Were In Love- was taken from a movie (might have been" Yes Giorgio") and in that movie Luciano Pavarotti sings that song while up in a hot air balloon. Still a great memory for me. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Suncoast Sound’s final appearance as a World Class (then DI) corps. I liked their fresh take on Florida Suite. 

Agree. One of Robert Smith's best compositions for our activity IMO.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, denmum said:

For me it was Weds. night of Finals week in Kansas City and my group would go to Blue Devils final run-through. As they were starting we could see hot air balloons flying over. Just so happens that their ballad-If We Were In Love- was taken from a movie (might have been" Yes Giorgio") and in that movie Luciano Pavarotti sings that song while up in a hot air balloon. Still a great memory for me. 

It was indeed 'Yes, Giorgio.' 

• Like 1