The 1989 Thread

6 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

The judges were NOT watching.

But remember what happened at Finals on sat. night with BD's ballad?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Suncoast Sound’s final appearance as a World Class (then DI) corps. I liked their fresh take on Florida Suite. 

My dad told me MANY years after this that he had been approached by Suncoast in 88 or 89 to help "reinvent" how their food trucks were to be run. He was a district manager for ARA back then and had drum corps ties from his niece (who marched Bridgemen) and of course, through me. I never did find out if he did anything with them besides a few phone calls. 

'89 was a great year. I actually auditioned for PR in '89 and didn't make it. So many good shows that year but the SCV / PR battle to the end was great. It's also the last time that I remember a corps doing a repeat show of the year before....but I may be wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

My dad told me MANY years after this that he had been approached by Suncoast in 88 or 89 to help "reinvent" how their food trucks were to be run. He was a district manager for ARA back then and had drum corps ties from his niece (who marched Bridgemen) and of course, through me. I never did find out if he did anything with them besides a few phone calls. 

'89 was a great year. I actually auditioned for PR in '89 and didn't make it. So many good shows that year but the SCV / PR battle to the end was great. It's also the last time that I remember a corps doing a repeat show of the year before....but I may be wrong.

Madison did City of Angels in 91/92

Just now, mfrontz said:

Madison did City of Angels in 91/92

You're right!! I forgot about that! I'm getting old /sigh

• Haha 1

1989 was my introduction to DCI!  (I also was the one that decided the year DCP's Historical Forum split.  😈  At the time, we were trying to keep it 15-ish years behind the current events, but at some point we just let it go.  Honestly, if I was given my choice I'd move everything prior to 2000 and the Bb split there now...)

This is still sentimentally one of my favorite years.  I still think Phantom should have won - I think, especially with experience behind me now, that their "on" game was stronger than Vanguard's slightly sterile performance. 

The Cavaliers brought an insanely gorgeous visual production out - that first minute of drill alone is worth the price of admission. 

The Blue Devils played three of my favorite tunes of theirs ever - Ya Gotta Try, If I Were In Love, and Johnny One Note.  (Sorry, Allegre) 

Cadets played a very Not-Cadets show, but managed to capture the music almost better than the original.  (And their version of At the End of the Day was pretty much the band standard for literally decades). 

Star adapted some pretty sophisticated band literature fairly spot on, and Dargason is a classic. 

Madison's "Make His Praise Glorious" broke speed records for the year, I'm pretty sure, bringing Higher, Louder, Faster to everyone's attention. 

Bluecoats, while feeling a bit like BD Lite that year, had a hit ballad in My Funny Valentine, for sure. 

Knowing that this was Suncoast Sound's last Finals, their closer to Florida Suite does feel a bit like a farewell.  

VK brought a "classic" VK show, keeping it lighthearted while playing some fairly straight music.  

And while I don't like Crossmen's look that year (though you can see the genesis of their wonderful 90-95 jackets there), they have a greeeeat sound.  How High the Moon was the highlight of their show.

I'm going to have to go back and watch some of these again now.  I'm glad we can talk about it!  Overall, it was a top-to-bottom good year, but not a great one.  I think there was a definite gap between the top 5 and everyone else.  I think 1990 and 1992 in particular had much stronger lineups from 1-12.

Mike

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, denmum said:

But remember what happened at Finals on sat. night with BD's ballad?

It wasn't until the late 90's that I, for the first time, heard the ballad the way it was supposed to be played.  After all of these years, hearing it correct sounds wrong!

Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

The judges were NOT watching.

yeah they were

if cadets had the ending they ended with a month earlier, look out

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Great point. I always thought GH was a master at late cleaning.

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

What did they end with before?  So frustrating that there's so little footage from midseasons back when.  (I know, I know, VHS, etc.)

Mike