Let's Have Some Fun.

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

In 74, Kilties rehearsed at the condemned Manning Bowl.  I always laugh when I think of that. 😂 

On June 24, 1966, The Rolling Stones kicked off their US tour in Manning Bowl.  Just a bit of trivia.

• Like 1

In similar inform, LabMaster, I encourage everyone to check out the history of entertainment events at, now demolished Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ.  Once home to the National Dream Contest. Those of us privileged to have attended many can tell you how “rock concert-like” those drum corps shows were. Electric atmosphere, itself an uplifting factor that pushed our pastime forward.

Edited by Fred Windish

10 hours ago, LabMaster said:

On June 24, 1966, The Rolling Stones kicked off their US tour in Manning Bowl.  Just a bit of trivia.

I lived in Lynn from 1996-2002, within walking distance to the Manning Bowl. I attended quite a few shows at Manning Bowl, most notably the World Open. I was in a CYO band and CYO circuit used to have competitions at Manning Bowl (late 70’s). I know the stadium itself was in horrible condition due to lack of upkeep (you think conversations on DCP gets heated, just get some Lynners talking about the decaying of the Manning Bowl and you have WW III, and they’re correct). The neighborhood was a bit sketchy though it was not the worst section of Lynn (I know, little consolation if they broke in your car). A plane heading to Logan could interfere with your show, but was it that bad a field to march on? 

Today Manning Bowl is gone, Manning Field has taken its place, and it’s a wonderful facility. The seating can be a bit tight, but it’s great for high school activities. The Beanpot is also held at Manning Field, always a great show with the best concession stand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Ha! That probably was the beginning of the end for that stadium!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Ha! That probably was the beginning of the end for that stadium!

Lol saw Rilling Stones kick off Voodoo Lounge tour at RFK stadium in DC. See that’s slated to be knocked down too.

Memorable for me as we got lost and homeless guy at gas station gave me directions to the beltway. 

7 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I lived in Lynn from 1996-2002, within walking distance to the Manning Bowl. I attended quite a few shows at Manning Bowl, most notably the World Open. I was in a CYO band and CYO circuit used to have competitions at Manning Bowl (late 70’s). I know the stadium itself was in horrible condition due to lack of upkeep (you think conversations on DCP gets heated, just get some Lynners talking about the decaying of the Manning Bowl and you have WW III, and they’re correct). The neighborhood was a bit sketchy though it was not the worst section of Lynn (I know, little consolation if they broke in your car). A plane heading to Logan could interfere with your show, but was it that bad a field to march on? 

Today Manning Bowl is gone, Manning Field has taken its place, and it’s a wonderful facility. The seating can be a bit tight, but it’s great for high school activities. The Beanpot is also held at Manning Field, always a great show with the best concession stand. 

A friend in Melrose says Lynn is no longer called Lynn,Lynn the City of Sin. Is that true?

• Haha 1

First...Shea Stadium..1964..St. Rocco's..Last..Roosevelt Stadium( jersey city),1970..N.Y. Skyliners                                                                      Best...Roosevelt Stadium...Worst....Shea Stadium 

• Like 1

OKAY DRUM CORPS PEOPLE... Let's play!
First stadium you performed in: __Canton OH, 1985, no clue as to what stadium, don't think it was nfl hall of fame place, but a HS_______
Last stadium you performed in: ___Madison, WI 1987 Badger Stadium____
Best stadium you performed in: ___Busch Stadium 1986 STL, Hometown show 😉_____hot as hades that day, also really loved Whitewater WI
Worst stadium you performed in: this wins by a landslide:  the IL state fair standstill on the race track and the inspection, had to remove my earring, tuck in my mullet, and removed my gold mouthpiece (HA).....it was like being transported into the 1950's

Edited by The Dog
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

A friend in Melrose says Lynn is no longer called Lynn,Lynn the City of Sin. Is that true?

People still know that expression, which supposedly dates back to the 1890’s when a little girl was murdered and the crime went unsolved. Some credit a newspaper which used it as a headline, others credit a minister. There is also a store that sells motorcycle equipment called Sin City Cycles, which is located near the Manning Bowl. That being said, to travel from Boston to Lynn, the direct route involved driving through Revere. As you went through Revere you passed an old dog track, a strip joint, seedy bars, questionable people on street corners, and the Wonderland Ballroom which always seemed to have drug busts, abductions, and a murder or two. Lynn was the City of Sin? No wonder why the 27th Lancers were such tough competitors. They had to be to survive the streets of Revere! 😀

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, The Dog said:

OKAY DRUM CORPS PEOPLE... Let's play!
First stadium you performed in: __Canton OH, 1985, no clue as to what stadium, don't think it was nfl hall of fame place, but a HS_______
Last stadium you performed in: ___Madison, WI 1987 Badger Stadium____
Best stadium you performed in: ___Busch Stadium 1986 STL, Hometown show 😉_____hot as hades that day, also really loved Whitewater WI
Worst stadium you performed in: this wins by a landslide:  the IL state fair standstill on the race track and the inspection, had to remove my earring, tuck in my mullet, and removed my gold mouthpiece (HA).....it was like being transported into the 1950's

I’m glad you mentioned the track at the state fair.  In 72, they had prelims in a horse barn. That was even worse.  

• Haha 2