Let's Have Some Fun.

7 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

That Pittsfield, Mass place doesn’t sound so great. 

I forgot about this but when we got to the Division II/III prelim site in Westminster, Maryland in 2000, the grass was about a foot high.  Big Al, longtime volunteer for DCI, had to hop on a riding mower and mow that cow pasture.  There were grass clippings everywhere.   Fun times in Div. II/III.

You mean Al Lamert?

7 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Oh geez, completely forgot about the Il State Fair. 

"Ok, everyone. Today we're going to rehearse doing the drill taking eenie tiny steps through horse dung and mud". 

Remember inspection for Illinois State show?

13 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Remember inspection for Illinois State show?

I have never understood how you cats managed inspection when it's 100 degrees outside and wearing the older style uni's. That HAD to be simply miserable as h###. Even mid and late 80s uni's were stupid hot. 

I know people complain about the look of the new uniforms, but just imagine how nice and comfy they must be by comparison. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Ghost said:

Can't recall if it was the Braintree Braves, Warriors, or Boston Crusaders, but the inside of the Norwood, MA Arena race track was used for at least one contest in the early 60's.  Could have been an exhibition before the figure 8 races which were before the stock car races.  All I know is the field was a mine field.

http://www.norwoodarena.com/Track-Facts/Track/Track.History.html

Had many rehearsals in the parking lot there in the mid 70’s.  Drum line used to do roll exercises circling the track.

First Stadium -  Randall's Island, Bronx, NY - 1960 - Ultimate rookie experience, Corps equivalent of landing in Oz.

Last                   - Frontier Field, Rochester, NY - Alumni Spectacular - Hot fun in the Summer Time

Best                  - Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ - National Dream Contests - Great acoustics, Most enthusiastic

audiences

Worst              - Memorial Stadium, Baltimore, MD - Pitcher's mound, disorienting outfield wall, audience seated in 

neighboring time zone                 

Edited by ironlips
layout
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ironlips said:

First Stadium -  Randall's Island, Bronx, NY - 1960 - Ultimate rookie experience, Corps equivalent of landing in Oz.

Last                   - Frontier Field, Rochester, NY - Alumni Spectacular - Hot fun in the Summer Time

Best                  - Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ - National Dream Contests - Great acoustics, Most enthusiastic

audiences

Worst              - Memorial Stadium, Baltimore, MD - Pitcher's mound, disorienting outfield wall, audience seated in 

neighboring time zone                 

I forgot about Randall's Island...practicing on the pavement at night under the bridge was crazy..great acoustics though

4 hours ago, ironlips said:

neighboring time zone                 

1975 Westshoremen did preshow exhibition there. We were judged and you heard the beer and hot dog salesmen yelling on the tapes (and judges swearing about it). They shut up during the competition. And that dirt pitchers mound and Yankee Rebels cream colored pants. Sure lot of dry cleaning bills for anyone on the part of the field.

1978 there for Colts home opener. Busted bottles on the part of the parking lot where we ran thru the show. Still remember DM yelling “Don’t kneel” at the end of the run thru.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I have never understood how you cats managed inspection when it's 100 degrees outside and wearing the older style uni's. That HAD to be simply miserable as h###. Even mid and late 80s uni's were stupid hot. 

I know people complain about the look of the new uniforms, but just imagine how nice and comfy they must be by comparison. 

I can attest to this. the junior corps I marched with had very similar jackets to 1972 Anaheim Kingsmen only ours were red. They were a  "West Point" style uniform modeled after the United States Military Academy West Point uniforms and were constructed out of ripcord type fabric which is extremely hot to wear because it did not breath well. Most of our shows were always in the central valley of California which is extremely hot. Even VFW Nationals in Seattle Washington was a bear. Inspection was done next to the large fountain at the World's Fair and it seemed like inspection took forever. Thankfully, the competition was in the cool of the evening.

Marching in DCA, my uniform was the Bolero type blouse which was much cooler to perform in.

• Like 1

The Drum Corps activity will continue to grow and the size of competing drum corps is sure to continue to increase along with more instrumentation allowed in competition.

Check out this video of:

Spartan Marching Band: Homecoming Halftime | MSU vs. Indiana: 9.28.2019
https://www.facebook.com/spartanmarchingband/videos/436300697278750/
Spartan Marching Band
about 6 months ago

An unforgettable moment in MSU band history! Our tremendous MSU Alumni Band join us totalling over 1200+ performers on the field to commemorate 150 years of bands at Michigan State University.

• Like 1