Let's Have Some Fun.

16 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Remember inspection for Illinois State show?

Indeed. During the "hairy" times of the 70s the guys were either all in hair nets or claiming to the inspectors to be Latvian Orthodox.

Last minute dry shaves in the warmup areas were common. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I have never understood how you cats managed inspection when it's 100 degrees outside and wearing the older style uni's. That HAD to be simply miserable as h###. Even mid and late 80s uni's were stupid hot. 

I know people complain about the look of the new uniforms, but just imagine how nice and comfy they must be by comparison. 

They gave us salt pills and told us not to lock our knees.

We passed out anyway.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

They gave us salt pills and told us not to lock our knees.

We passed out anyway.

Yup!

Lined wool uniforms in July and August were  “no bueno“.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Yup!

Lined wool uniforms in July and August were  “no bueno“.

The other thing about the old-style cadet uniform is that we would naturally sweat in them.  The uniforms would be put away while still……moist and packed tightly together on the truck.  They never really dried out in the high humidity places and it would cause mold patterns to grow on the inside around the back of the shoulders.

We would do Rorschach tests and compare our mold patterns.  “Look, mine looks like dragon”, “Hey, mine looks like South America”!

It was so gross. 

• Haha 4

First stadium you performed in: Calder Stadium - Menasha, WI. 1989

Last stadium you performed in: Rich Stadium (old Buffalo Bills Stadium) Buffalo, NY. 1990

(But did the Madison Alumni Corps  performance at Camp Randall Stadium in August of 2006)

Best stadium you performed in: Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City MO. August 1989

Worst stadium you performed in: Manning Bowl, Lynn MA. July 1990. It was a baseball stadium...you had to march

over the pitcher’s mound, and the entire crowd was off to your left and ridiculously far away!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

The other thing about the old-style cadet uniform is that we would naturally sweat in them.  The uniforms would be put away while still……moist and packed tightly together on the truck.  They never really dried out in the high humidity places and it would cause mold patterns to grow on the inside around the back of the shoulders.

We would do Rorschach tests and compare our mold patterns.  “Look, mine looks like dragon”, “Hey, mine looks like South America”!

It was so gross. 

2005 Corpsvets. We did Winston Salem the last week of July and then packed up the uniforms into the trailer where they stayed until Kingston NY and then back in the trailer until St. Cloud Florida. Now, these things we're already...moist...from Winston Salem. By the time we got down to Florida they had been marinating in that uni trailer in the Atlanta summer heat for basically a month and a half. When I went to go get my top half, I could literally taste the funk in the air. It was about a bazillion degrees and then just as we went on, it started pouring that funky smelling Florida rain. I'm pretty sure that even after marching DCI, THAT specific day is when my immune system got bumped up to hyper active. That's why I can still teach in a class full of sick people. 

Oh....and the banana spiders were ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1