The 1990 Thread

I hope you enjoyed the 89 Thread. 

1990 was an amazing year for DCI. Lots of change and innovation. If I'm not mistaken, this was the first year for three-valve bugles in the soprano line. Highlights of the year for me include:

Cadets and their haunting emotional presentation of 'Somewhere...'

Star of Indiana... 'Praise ye!' (the Gods of brass!)

BD changing their game and rocking (although their Pinball Wizard swung hard.)

That baritone line of SCV. Monsters. When I think of a DCI bari/euph line, that's what I think of.

Crossmen big step up with a fresh, coherent, balanced show - and that drumline...

Madison, 'Remembrance'

Dutch Boy, the first Canadian corps in finals.

And so much more!

First place didn't seem especially controversial. Cadets were a strong corps across all captions.

I give you 1990!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

I hope you enjoyed the 89 Thread. 

1990 was an amazing year for DCI. Lots of change and innovation. If I'm not mistaken, this was the first year for three-valve bugles in the soprano line. Highlights of the year for me include:

Cadets and their haunting emotional presentation of 'Somewhere...'

Star of Indiana... 'Praise ye!' (the Gods of brass!)

BD changing their game and rocking (although their Pinball Wizard swung hard.)

That baritone line of SCV. Monsters. When I think of a DCI bari/euph line, that's what I think of.

Crossmen big step up with a fresh, coherent, balanced show - and that drumline...

Madison, 'Remembrance'

Dutch Boy, the first Canadian corps in finals.

And so much more!

First place didn't seem especially controversial. Cadets were a strong corps across all captions.

I give you 1990!

My first thought was Dutch Boy in finals but they weren’t the first Canadian corps to make it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Oops! Which corps was first?

De La Salle Oakland’s in 74

Oakland Crusaders in 75-76

Seneca Optimists in 76-77

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 5

On 4/4/2020 at 12:30 PM, Brian Tuma said:

My first thought was Dutch Boy in finals but they weren’t the first Canadian corps to make it.

Dutch was pretty hot that year though. Things I remember extremely well about that year:

Spirit making finals after a tough season 😊

Magic of Orlando debuts 😊

No more Suncoast Sound 😞

Star with Belshazzar's starts to REALLY show what's about to happen to DCI. Not many shows wowed me that year, but this one really defined things for me. I started out with a "this isn't drum corps" attitude and ended the season with "this is the future of drum corps."

PR and BD tie?!?!?! Whattt?????

Cadets shock me by staying Cadets of Bergen County. For some reason, I thought they were going to pull a Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship/The Jefferson's/Airplane (not the movie....or maybe the movie...I lost count.) 

Dutch Boy marches with Premier Resonator drum heads which are possibly the worst head since Ludwig Silver Dot High Torques and make them sound actually half way decent. They're like playing on a Hefty trashbag...only Hefty bags last longer under high torque.

I start college at UA thinking I'm the hottest thing since sliced bread because I had marched in DCI only to find out that so had EVERYONE ELSE and they had better chops than me 😂

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
Because my memory got foggy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Dutch was pretty hot that year though. Things I remember extremely well about that year:

Spirit making finals after a tough season 😊

Magic of Orlando debuts 😊

No more Suncoast Sound 😞

No more Freelancers 😞

Star with Belshazzar's starts to REALLY show what's about to happen to DCI. Not many shows wowed me that year, but this one really defined things for me. I started out with a "this isn't drum corps" attitude and ended the season with "this is the future of drum corps."

PR and BD tie?!?!?! Whattt?????

Cadets shock me by staying Cadets of Bergen County. For some reason, I thought they were going to pull a Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship/The Jefferson's/Airplane (not the movie....or maybe the movie...I lost count.) 

Dutch Boy marches with Premier Resonator drum heads which are possibly the worst head since Ludwig Silver Dot High Torques and make them sound actually half way decent. They're like playing on a Hefty trashbag...only Hefty bags last longer under high torque.

I start college at UA thinking I'm the hottest thing since sliced bread because I had marched in DCI only to find out that so had EVERYONE ELSE and they had better chops than me 😂

Freelancers were 15th

one of my favorite seasons. 

Cadets kicked it in late and look out....Cavies Rutter 2 and so solid...the emergence of Star...i mean i saw them in early July and they owned the Cadets, but of course the Cadets didn't have the ending in...BD Pinball Wizard...SCV and Carmen...Phantom so solid...and hello Crossmen and the NY Voices show!...Bloo a solid show...Madison has grown on me over time, but placed right...VK was a gas.....Spirit and Tara's theme...and hello Dutch Boy...outside of finals you could see BK growing...i love Boston 90, which to me was the last truly great Conquest...Freelancers a good solid show followed by the debut of Magic...Troop was good...Glassmen was growing, and Sky Ryders were trying to ind heir non Broadway way...and the supersrats of the weekend, Acadamie Musicale winning A60

great venue too. Buffalo's stadium never gets enough love

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Freelancers were 15th

Yep you're right. I guess my memory of that season wasn't as clear as it used to be. I guess Freelancers didn't fold until 94 or 95. You're right about VK, they were fun as always. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever