The 1990 Thread

For me the highlights were:

Cadets - fast, fun, musical and just pure Cadets

Star - STILL one of my all time favorite brass books...   ever

SCV - that MASSIVE opening hit and one of the most sublime final notes (from the tunnel) of all time

• Like 1

8 hours ago, supersop said:

Rennick I believe

91 was Fred Sanford I think 

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Freelancers were 15th

Thanks Jeff.. I marched that whole season and even though our show was a bag of hot garbage, I was pretty certain we didn't fold in 1990... 

19 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Yep you're right. I guess my memory of that season wasn't as clear as it used to be. I guess Freelancers didn't fold until 94 or 95. You're right about VK, they were fun as always. 

Dude...

We freaking made finals in 91 and 92... 

Folded in 95. Good to know we were so memorable!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Cainan said:

Dude...

We freaking made finals in 91 and 92... 

Folded in 95. Good to know we were so memorable!

Again, my apologies. I made an error. It was 30 years ago. If you read down just under Jeff's post, I acknowledged my error.

EDIT: Original post edited. I fell into a drum corps black hole from 91 through about 2000 while trying to get my career off the ground so those years I don't have a lot of knowledge of except very specific shows. Again, apologies for the error. It's been corrected and no offense intended.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Super Don-O said:

For me the highlights were:

Cadets - fast, fun, musical and just pure Cadets

Star - STILL one of my all time favorite brass books...   ever

SCV - that MASSIVE opening hit and one of the most sublime final notes (from the tunnel) of all time

That's what I'm talking about. Can't find it on the Internet but it's burned into my memory (at least from the CDs, would have loved to hear it live.)

Edit: Here it is!!!

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm9872975

Edited by mfrontz
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

That's what I'm talking about. Can't find it on the Internet but it's burned into my memory (at least from the CDs, would have loved to hear it live.)

Edit: Here it is!!!

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm9872975

In '90 a buddy and I drove up from Connecticut to Buffalo on Friday night. We slept in the car (we were kids with no money for a hotel) and got to the stadium early the next morning.

We spent a few hours watching warmups and buying t-shirts and then made our way into the show.

Back then there was no YouTube, no recordings being shared during the season. You saw what you could live, if you were lucky enough to have shows within driving distance, otherwise the only descriptions of shows you got came from the weekly Drum Corps News newspaper.

We had seen the Cadets and Blue Devils and a few other top corps that had been at some of the Northeast shows that year, but we had not seen SCV. We went into that finals performance knowing nothing but the title. It blew us away. The opening hit was monstrous, just the biggest sound we had ever heard. That show was pure joy all the way through. And when the finale came, and the corps ran off the field, and we thought it was over.....  and then that final chord came floating out of the tunnel....  well you can imagine we just lost it. The recording can't capture the magic of that moment. I will never forget that show.

Edited by Super Don-O
  • Like 7