The 1990 Thread

this is my favorite mid season video from 90 - in Virginia in early July 

these corps improved A LOT between then and finals

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

9th 8th and 6th..respectively was the placement of BD's drum-line during those years from 91-93. Maybe they arranged the music but it surely didn't reflect in the scoring.

i'll take 91 and 93 over 92 any day of the week

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cainan said:

Thanks Jeff.. I marched that whole season and even though our show was a bag of hot garbage, I was pretty certain we didn't fold in 1990... 

i didn't think it was bad. 10-15 was all very good corps

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Super Don-O said:

For me the highlights were:

Cadets - fast, fun, musical and just pure Cadets

Star - STILL one of my all time favorite brass books...   ever

SCV - that MASSIVE opening hit and one of the most sublime final notes (from the tunnel) of all time

in 2001, DCA had a show in the Buffalo stadium the afternoon of finals. i was teaching Empire, and as we stood in the tunnel waiting to go on, another staff member said "i'm probably standing where a Vanguard member played that final chord in 90".

we were all like "oh ####!"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Continental said:

1990 Star of Indiana

we won the DCA portion of  the Hershey show and they won the DCI portion. We played to them on the field after awards, and when they turned to us and played "When you Wish..." we just wanted to pack up and leave the field.

4 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Not that big on 93 BD, but 91 is under-appreciated.

BD 91 is one of my favorites ever from them. That music book was 20 years ahead of it's time, and the brass was flawless.

• Like 1

While 1989 was my introduction to DCI and won my heart, 1990 was the year it stole my soul.  It was a stacked Finals lineup from top to bottom, for sure!  

I've often said this was one of my favorite Cadets title shows, and I'm still of that opinion.  It had a little bit of everything, and Bernstein and the Cadets are a natural fit.

Star of Indiana looked like a million bucks, and their brass sounded like it.  I wasn't impressed with the 5-man snareline back then, but I grew to appreciate it as I got older.

I'd have put Phantom above Blue Devils by a hair.  Bacchanale - buckle your seat belts.  BD's jazz version of Pinball Wizard was weird, but they brought a take-no-prisoners approach to the battery that I loved!

While I love SCV's Carmen in the "classic DCI" sense, there's no way that slow of a show would get recognized by judges today.  It's long been my gripe that modern tempos tend to automatically exclude some classic repertoire without having to twist them beyond recognition.  Carmen is my exhibit A.

This was the first year (for me) that Crossmen stepped into the Perennial Finalist category, and New York Voices was an awesome group to go to for catchy and bright charts. I still love that show from top to bottom.

Bluecoats brought a mixed bag that year.  Caravan was high energy and entertaining, and then the rest was kind of ... there.  '90 and '91 were transformative years for show design, and I think the 'Coats clearly got caught in the middle of it.

Madison had a *really* borked show that year.  Remembrance was a classic (as evidenced by it's re-use since), but it had nothing to do with the opener and closer, which were a weird strain of laid back bop-jazz.  Much like Bluecoats, I think that they stand out as many of the top groups were starting to look at total packaging, and Madison wasn't there yet.  (They managed to fix that kind of by default with City of Angels, and by '93, pretty much everyone was in on theme shows.)

VK and Spirit were, to me, Classic VK and Spirit, for good and for ill.  VK's charts felt "safe," but they brought the energy.  Spirit put on an intense show, but never cranked it above 8 or lower than about 5.  

Finally, Dutch Boy put together a great set of charts that worked as a full show.  (Once in a Lifetime is still a personal favorite of mine.)

Overall, 1990 felt like both the last gasp of 80's drum corps and a pause before show programming *really* went off the rails.  I submit that Cadets were the last straightfoward bright, old-school-ish music book to win a championship.  The next year Star managed to drag everyone a bit into the future, kicking and screaming. 

Mike

• Like 3

1990 has one of my all-time favorite shows, Phantom Regiment. Especially Saint Saens Symphony #3, the Organ Symphony, not to mention Bacchanale.

I had played the Organ Symphony as a percussionist with the Hanover Wind Symphony. We had an unpublished arrangement for band, with Organ and Piano as well as the ensemble. It was amazing.

Ended up doing the Organ Symphony and Bacchanale with the marching band I taught, in 1995.