The 1990 Thread

1 hour ago, Continental said:

1990 Cavaliers

Romeo Casiple on the right, correct?

A few thoughts from 1990:

I went to an early show in Canton with 2 friends (the old Fawcett Stadium) to see Bluecoats, Phantom, Star, and others. The show was held June 16.

We were mostly excited to see Bluecoats after their 1989 production, and perhaps even more excited to see Phantom Regiment after their fantastic 1989 production. Phantom won the show by a BIG margin (5+ points); but it was Star of Indiana that BLEW US AWAY! Just watching them march onto the field in those uniforms was attention-getting, but then they hit you with that sound and by the end of the opener our jaws were in our laps. It only took a minute into Star's show to realize they were making a move on top 3 despite the huge gap between them and PR. PR had to follow Star and they were much cleaner and ready for the season, but you could tell Star's show was going to surpass them at some point. 

Scores from the June 16 show in Canton:

Canton, OH                                     DCM

1 Phantom Regiment                           72.7
    2 Star of Indiana                            66.9
    3 Bluecoats                                  64.3
    4 Northern Aurora                            40.0
    5 Limited Edition                            36.1
    6 Northmen-WI                                17.1

I drove to Columbus, OH on June 18 to see some of the same units plus Glassmen and a few others. By then Star had cut the lead to around 4 points, and my opinion had not changed. I still felt Star was going to be a top 3 corps. 

Columbus, OH                                   DCM

1 Phantom Regiment                           73.0
    2 Star of Indiana                            68.9
    3 Bluecoats                                  65.2
    4 Glassmen                                   53.9
    5 Pioneer                                    38.3
    6 Northern Aurora                            35.7
    7 Limited Edition                            34.7
    8 Northmen-WI                                26.8

Blue Devils were undefeated on the West Coast and were the first to score an 80, registering an 80.5 on June 23 in Riverside. SCV was about 2.7 points behind them. The only way to follow other corps news was through DCW magazine or you could call a phone number to get scores. Madison had gone west that summer and were at that Riverside show, sitting in 3rd about 2.7 points under SCV. 

My next live show was Hershey, PA on July 7.  It was the first match, I think, between Cadets and Star, plus Crossmen and Bluecoats were there. Again Star looked incredible and were cleaning nicely, but we were impressed with Cadets. My buddy in particular felt Cadets were marching a killer visual book and he felt Cadets legs and overall body technique was quite a bit stronger than Star. Cadets percussion section was also a beast. Cadets were also not finished with their show and that caused some of the difference in point total. I was still more impressed with Star, but I could see where Cadets were going with that show. Crossmen also blew me away. I love that show. Their percussion section was driving and fun and staged so perfectly. Great charts...I think this was their NY Voices show (or was that 91?). 

Hershey, PA                                    DCE
   Hershey Spectacular                               

1 Star of Indiana                            81.9
    2 Cadets of Bergen Cty.                      80.3
    3 Crossmen                                   73.5
    4 Bluecoats                                  72.6
    5 Florida Wave                               52.6
    6 Limited Edition                            48.3

By July 14 scores were all over the place, and if you were following DCW and scores by phone all you knew was this: BD and Phantom were still undefeated. Star was cleaning and looking very strong. Cadets were cleaning as well, and SCV and Cavaliers were also in the game. Here is a look at scores from July 14-15:

JULY 14

• In Georgia Star was at an 85.7 and Cadets an 83.5
  • in Madison, WI Phantom was sitting at an 86.2 and Scouts at an 80.6
  • In Concord, CA BD was sitting at an 85.6 and SCV at an 83.6
  • Dutch Boy had scored an 81.2 with Ventures at 72.6 in Ontario, Canada

JULY 15

• On the 15th Phantom's scored dipped to 84.2 and the Cavaliers were at an 83.1

JULY 16

• In Ogden, UT BD also dropped some to 84.1 and SCV was at an 82.5. VK was sitting at a 73.6 and beginning to clean what would be a fun and excellent show.
  • Cadets hit an 84.7 in Columbia, SC

JULY 18

• Cadets scored and 86.1 in Virginia and looked to be putting some major polish on a most difficult show
  • Star on the same day in Illinois scored an 83.0 to Bluecoats 75.1

Scores were all over the place and it was most difficult to tell who had the show, who had GE, Visual, Brass, Guard, Percussion, etc. I was still confident Star had the brass and that they were a top 3 candidate, but I kept up with scores and it seemed the top 6 or 7 corps were all sporting fantastic shows.

JULY 19

• At College Park, MD the Cadets knocked out an 89.7 to Dutch Boy's 79.3
  • Interesting note, while Cadets did not have some of the other top contenders at this show to truly compare scores, my buddy (who lived in Philly at the time) had gone to this show. He called me and said "Look out...here come the Cadets." He was most impressed again with the visual program and the level of marching and overall execution of the show. I believe he said this was one of the first shows that they performed the full closer with a Z-pull that reversed and went into an S-pull. He said the crowd went nuts. There score would come down over the next few shows, but not by much and it was clear they were in the running.

On Saturday, July 28 I attended the Drum Corps Midwest prelims and finals in Whitewater, WI. I drove up (from Ohio) with 3 other friends. My buddy from Philly was one of them who drove in to make the trip with us. This was to be a battle, at least many thought, between Phantom and BD. Both were still undefeated even though Star, Cavaliers, SCV, and Cadets were all beginning to score well. We could not have predicted what we would be witness to, but to this day it remains one of my favorite drum corps trips. 

After prelims BD had won with an 88.1, Phantom was 2nd with an 87.3, and Cavaliers were only .3 behind Phantom. Bluecoats were sitting in 4th and Crossmen in 5th. VK and Blue Knights were in 6th and 7th after Prelims. Of all the corps that morning, I thought Crossmen had my favorite show, but I fell in love with BD's play on Tommy. Still one of my favorite Blue Devils shows. During the break between prelims and finals our conversations were all over the place in terms of what we thought from an enjoyment standpoint and competition. My buddy from Philly was clear that Cadets would eventually beat everyone at this show and that their visual mastery, cleanliness, and complex musical book would ultimately put them ahead. I was still thinking Star was the best thing I had seen, but I also fell in love with the Cavaliers show and thought they might pass Phantom at DCI Midwest finals later that night. I thought BD was the clear-cut winner from prelims. Another friend was all Phantom and was ###### that BD had topped them.  Here is a rundown of how Prelims played out:

Whitewater, WI                                 DCI
   DCI Midwest Prelims                               

1 Blue Devils                                88.1
    2 Phantom Regiment                           87.3
    3 Cavaliers                                  87.0
    4 Bluecoats                                  80.5
    5 Crossmen                                   78.5
    6 Velvet Knights                             75.9
    7 Blue Knights                               74.0
    8 Dutch Boy                                  71.8
    9 Spirit of Atlanta                          70.7
   10 Troopers                                   67.5
   11 Colts                                      63.0
   12 L'Insolite                                 62.6
   13 Marauders                                  58.0
   14 Limited Edition                            50.8

What happened at MIdwest Finals is one of the great stories for the ages in DCI. Everybody performed their hearts out, including Bluecoats, Crossmen, and Velvet Knights who had some amazing energy and shows that I fell in love with. VK was a gas, and Crossmen continued to be perhaps my 2nd favorite show after Star. But when it came to the top 3 at this contest, it was the Cavaliers who rose-up and slaughtered the competition. I could not believe how well they were performing. They must have received 5 or 6 ovations. Talk about being "ON FIRE." The scores reflected what they had done. The Cavaliers jumped over Phantom and BD and won the show by 2.5 over Phantom (who jumped BD) and 2.6 over BD. And to be honest, not a single person in the stands that night seemed to be surprised. The Cavaliers won every caption. That might have been shocking, but I do believe they deserved it. It had become clear at that point that all the talk of BD and Phantom being undefeated and potentially being the top 2 corps of the summer was no longer the story. Now the story was 1) are the Cavaliers in the lead?, 2) where do Star and Cadets fit into this, and 3) how about SCV? Things were still unclear, but what WAS CLEAR was that The Cavaliers were likely a top 3 corps to be reckoned with. And just like that the narrative on the season had shifted in a dramatic way. Below are Finals scores from Midwest.

DCI Midwest                                       

1 Cavaliers                                  89.4
    2 Phantom Regiment                           86.9
    3 Blue Devils                                86.8
    4 Bluecoats                                  82.8
    5 Crossmen                                   81.3
    6 Velvet Knights                             79.7
    7 Dutch Boy                                  76.0
    8 Blue Knights                               73.7
    ^ Spirit of Atlanta                          73.7
   10 Troopers                                   69.7

I'll update part 2 of my reflections later on. Thanks for reading. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

A few thoughts from 1990:

I went to an early show in Canton with 2 friends (the old Fawcett Stadium) to see Bluecoats, Phantom, Star, and others. The show was held June 16.

We were mostly excited to see Bluecoats after their 1989 production, and perhaps even more excited to see Phantom Regiment after their fantastic 1989 production. Phantom won the show by a BIG margin (5+ points); but it was Star of Indiana that BLEW US AWAY! Just watching them march onto the field in those uniforms was attention-getting, but then they hit you with that sound and by the end of the opener our jaws were in our laps. It only took a minute into Star's show to realize they were making a move on top 3 despite the huge gap between them and PR. PR had to follow Star and they were much cleaner and ready for the season, but you could tell Star's show was going to surpass them at some point. 

Scores from the June 16 show in Canton:

Canton, OH                                     DCM

1 Phantom Regiment                           72.7
    2 Star of Indiana                            66.9
    3 Bluecoats                                  64.3
    4 Northern Aurora                            40.0
    5 Limited Edition                            36.1
    6 Northmen-WI                                17.1

I drove to Columbus, OH on June 18 to see some of the same units plus Glassmen and a few others. By then Star had cut the lead to around 4 points, and my opinion had not changed. I still felt Star was going to be a top 3 corps. 

Columbus, OH                                   DCM

1 Phantom Regiment                           73.0
    2 Star of Indiana                            68.9
    3 Bluecoats                                  65.2
    4 Glassmen                                   53.9
    5 Pioneer                                    38.3
    6 Northern Aurora                            35.7
    7 Limited Edition                            34.7
    8 Northmen-WI                                26.8

Blue Devils were undefeated on the West Coast and were the first to score an 80, registering an 80.5 on June 23 in Riverside. SCV was about 2.7 points behind them. The only way to follow other corps news was through DCW magazine or you could call a phone number to get scores. Madison had gone west that summer and were at that Riverside show, sitting in 3rd about 2.7 points under SCV. 

My next live show was Hershey, PA on July 7.  It was the first match, I think, between Cadets and Star, plus Crossmen and Bluecoats were there. Again Star looked incredible and were cleaning nicely, but we were impressed with Cadets. My buddy in particular felt Cadets were marching a killer visual book and he felt Cadets legs and overall body technique was quite a bit stronger than Star. Cadets percussion section was also a beast. Cadets were also not finished with their show and that caused some of the difference in point total. I was still more impressed with Star, but I could see where Cadets were going with that show. Crossmen also blew me away. I love that show. Their percussion section was driving and fun and staged so perfectly. Great charts...I think this was their NY Voices show (or was that 91?). 

Hershey, PA                                    DCE
   Hershey Spectacular                               

1 Star of Indiana                            81.9
    2 Cadets of Bergen Cty.                      80.3
    3 Crossmen                                   73.5
    4 Bluecoats                                  72.6
    5 Florida Wave                               52.6
    6 Limited Edition                            48.3

By July 14 scores were all over the place, and if you were following DCW and scores by phone all you knew was this: BD and Phantom were still undefeated. Star was cleaning and looking very strong. Cadets were cleaning as well, and SCV and Cavaliers were also in the game. Here is a look at scores from July 14-15:

JULY 14

• In Georgia Star was at an 85.7 and Cadets an 83.5
  • in Madison, WI Phantom was sitting at an 86.2 and Scouts at an 80.6
  • In Concord, CA BD was sitting at an 85.6 and SCV at an 83.6
  • Dutch Boy had scored an 81.2 with Ventures at 72.6 in Ontario, Canada

JULY 15

• On the 15th Phantom's scored dipped to 84.2 and the Cavaliers were at an 83.1

JULY 16

• In Ogden, UT BD also dropped some to 84.1 and SCV was at an 82.5. VK was sitting at a 73.6 and beginning to clean what would be a fun and excellent show.
  • Cadets hit an 84.7 in Columbia, SC

JULY 18

• Cadets scored and 86.1 in Virginia and looked to be putting some major polish on a most difficult show
  • Star on the same day in Illinois scored an 83.0 to Bluecoats 75.1

Scores were all over the place and it was most difficult to tell who had the show, who had GE, Visual, Brass, Guard, Percussion, etc. I was still confident Star had the brass and that they were a top 3 candidate, but I kept up with scores and it seemed the top 6 or 7 corps were all sporting fantastic shows.

JULY 19

• At College Park, MD the Cadets knocked out an 89.7 to Dutch Boy's 79.3
  • Interesting note, while Cadets did not have some of the other top contenders at this show to truly compare scores, my buddy (who lived in Philly at the time) had gone to this show. He called me and said "Look out...here come the Cadets." He was most impressed again with the visual program and the level of marching and overall execution of the show. I believe he said this was one of the first shows that they performed the full closer with a Z-pull that reversed and went into an S-pull. He said the crowd went nuts. There score would come down over the next few shows, but not by much and it was clear they were in the running.

On Saturday, July 28 I attended the Drum Corps Midwest prelims and finals in Whitewater, WI. I drove up (from Ohio) with 3 other friends. My buddy from Philly was one of them who drove in to make the trip with us. This was to be a battle, at least many thought, between Phantom and BD. Both were still undefeated even though Star, Cavaliers, SCV, and Cadets were all beginning to score well. We could not have predicted what we would be witness to, but to this day it remains one of my favorite drum corps trips. 

After prelims BD had won with an 88.1, Phantom was 2nd with an 87.3, and Cavaliers were only .3 behind Phantom. Bluecoats were sitting in 4th and Crossmen in 5th. VK and Blue Knights were in 6th and 7th after Prelims. Of all the corps that morning, I thought Crossmen had my favorite show, but I fell in love with BD's play on Tommy. Still one of my favorite Blue Devils shows. During the break between prelims and finals our conversations were all over the place in terms of what we thought from an enjoyment standpoint and competition. My buddy from Philly was clear that Cadets would eventually beat everyone at this show and that their visual mastery, cleanliness, and complex musical book would ultimately put them ahead. I was still thinking Star was the best thing I had seen, but I also fell in love with the Cavaliers show and thought they might pass Phantom at DCI Midwest finals later that night. I thought BD was the clear-cut winner from prelims. Another friend was all Phantom and was ###### that BD had topped them.  Here is a rundown of how Prelims played out:

DCI Midwest Prelims                               

1 Blue Devils                                88.1
    2 Phantom Regiment                           87.3
    3 Cavaliers                                  87.0
    4 Bluecoats                                  80.5
    5 Crossmen                                   78.5
    6 Velvet Knights                             75.9
    7 Blue Knights                               74.0
    8 Dutch Boy                                  71.8
    9 Spirit of Atlanta                          70.7
   10 Troopers                                   67.5
   11 Colts                                      63.0
   12 L'Insolite                                 62.6
   13 Marauders                                  58.0
   14 Limited Edition                            50.8

What happened at MIdwest Finals is one of the great stories for the ages in DCI. Everybody performed their hearts out, including Bluecoats, Crossmen, and Velvet Knights who had some amazing energy and shows that I fell in love with. VK was a gas, and Crossmen continued to be perhaps my 2nd favorite show after Star. But when it came to the top 3 at this contest, it was the Cavaliers who rose-up and slaughtered the competition. I could not believe how well they were performing. They must have received 5 or 6 ovations. Talk about being "ON FIRE." The scores reflected what they had done. The Cavaliers jumped over Phantom and BD and won the show by 2.5 over Phantom (who jumped BD) and 2.6 over BD. And to be honest, not a single person in the stands that night seemed to be surprised. The Cavaliers won every caption. That might have been shocking, but I do believe they deserved it. It had become clear at that point that all the talk of BD and Phantom being undefeated and potentially being the top 2 corps of the summer was no longer the story. Now the story was 1) are the Cavaliers in the lead?, 2) where do Star and Cadets fit into this, and 3) how about SCV? Things were still unclear, but what WAS CLEAR was that The Cavaliers were likely a top 3 corps to be reckoned with. And just like that the narrative on the season had shifted in a dramatic way. Below are Finals scores from Midwest.

DCI Midwest                                       

1 Cavaliers                                  89.4
    2 Phantom Regiment                           86.9
    3 Blue Devils                                86.8
    4 Bluecoats                                  82.8
    5 Crossmen                                   81.3
    6 Velvet Knights                             79.7
    7 Dutch Boy                                  76.0
    8 Blue Knights                               73.7
    ^ Spirit of Atlanta                          73.7
   10 Troopers                                   69.7

I'll update part 2 of my reflections later on. Thanks for reading. 

DuuuuUUUuuuuDe!  You were just getting to the good part 😞. Like how 12 days before Prelims ... Cadets were losing to the corps that would finish 6th at Finals.

5 minutes ago, supersop said:

DuuuuUUUuuuuDe!  You were just getting to the good part 😞. Like how 12 days before Prelims ... Cadets were losing to the corps that would finish 6th at Finals.

It's coming. The back half of the 1990 season was crazy with seemingly 6 contenders that didn't want to go down without a fight. 

Reflections on 1990 - Part 2:

So as I look at the back half of the 1990 season, and I remind myself of show scores using scorpsboard.com, several things were evident: 1) what a fabulous season it was with so many great shows, and 2) we still didn't know who would win. In fact, although the Cavaliers had made perhaps the biggest statement of the season with their dramatic win at DCI Midwest Finals, what we did not have yet was a contest with all top 6 corps in one place.  This is something we don't see today due to how regional shows are scattered and how the tour operates. In 1990, at no time until DCI World Championship Finals week did all the corps finally match-up. This is something that would probably drive people crazy today. 

What ensued after the Cavaliers thriller on July 28 (detailed in my part 1 reflections) was simply chaos among the top 6, and plenty of excitement for the fans with all the corps performing so well. 

On July 29, one day later in Normal, IL, the Cavaliers would meet The Cadets (CBC at that time) and they would beat them as well, continuing their magic from the night before. I was not at this show. We drove home after DCI Midwest Finals - through the night. We were not tired however as we had so much to talk about. Of note with the Normal, IL show is Dutch Boy's score. They were clearly making their case for top 12 status and they had a beast of a trumpet soloist that year.  Scores below from the Normal, IL show.

Normal, IL                                     DCI
   Prairie Brass Review                              

1 Cavaliers                                  88.6
    2 Cadets of Bergen Cty.                      87.6
    3 Dutch Boy                                  76.7
    4 Blue Knights                               76.3
    5 Spirit of Atlanta                          73.2
    6 Orlando Magic                              72.1
    7 Troopers                                   71.0

The scores from this point onward began to show just how close everybody was among the top 6 groups.

• On July 30 Phantom Regiment scored an 88.6
  • On July 31 Cadets hit an 88.0 in Ohio. The Blue Devils scored 88.6 in a win over the Cavaliers who scored 88.2 in Indiana. Star of Indiana beat Santa Clara 88.8 to 88.1 in Louisiana. 
  • August 1 had the Cavaliers beating Phantom 89.9 to 88.5
  • August 2 saw the Cavaliers top BD 88.8 to 88.2, with SCV scoring an 89.5 in Arkansas 
  • August 4 featured DCI South in Alabama and SCV topped the Cadets and Star in prelims 90.4 to a tie 90.1 (Cadets & Star), at Finals SCV won the show with 91.4 followed by Star at 90.9 and Cadets at 90.8
  • August 4 also featured DCI Canada: BD won prelims 90.1 to Cavaliers 90.0 and Phantom's 89.7. BD won finals 90.6 to Cavaliers 90.0 with Phantom in 3rd at 89.6. The scores for this show below:
Hamilton, ONT                                  DCI
   DCI Canada                                        

1 Blue Devils                                90.6
    2 Cavaliers                                  90.0
    3 Phantom Regiment                           89.6
    4 Madison Scouts                             83.2
    5 Dutch Boy                                  78.7
    6 Blue Knights                               77.4
    7 Orlando Magic                              76.3
    8 Boston Crusaders                           75.3

I did attend DCI Canada in 1990. This used to be one of my favorite shows to attend. It was a great drive to upstate NY for wings and a visit to Lake Chautauqua, then up to Buffalo and Niagara for some sight-seeing, and then a full day of drum corps on Saturday. Obvious I had seen all three of the top corps at this show back in Wisconsin at DCI Midwest. Despite BD's win (and I loved their show) I still felt they did not have the room to grow where Cavaliers still astounded me. My gut feeling was that Cavaliers were still top 3 in the end. Phantom's performers were amazing and that is largely what kept them in the race, but from a design point I felt they had the weakest design among these 3, Star, and Cadets. Keep in mind I had not seen SCV yet, and I only saw Cadets once (in Hershey) and while impressive their show was unfinished and not very clean. 

More scores:

• August 5: Cadets beat SCV in Atlanta, GA 90.3 to 90.0 and Cavaliers beat Phantom 91.0 to 90.4 in Michigan

Putting the Spit & Polish on their Show

August 6: At the Night Beat show in Charlotte, NC the Cadets beat Star of Indiana for the first time that year. Cadets scored 91.6 to Star's 90.3, and although I likely did not get these scores until later you can argue this was the turning point for Cadets. My friend insisted to me all summer that their stunning marching excellence, visual design, fantastic music book, killer percussion and top-rated guard would ultimately be the difference as they cleaned their show. I was not at this show so it is difficult to say if the spread was true and if Cadets were on fire, but it seemed from here on out that the judges had called their shot.  The Cadets would not lose another show and as we followed scores into DCI East and DCI Finals it was apparent that The Cadets were in the no. 1 slot. 

On August 11 I drove to Allentown to meet my buddy who lived in Philly and we enjoyed DCI East prelims and finals. Prelim scores were as follows:

Allentown, PA                                  DCI
   DCI East Prelims                                  

1 Cadets of Bergen Cty.                      93.6
    2 Blue Devils                                92.1
    3 Phantom Regiment                           91.4
    4 Madison Scouts                             87.9
    5 Crossmen                                   87.0
    6 Freelancers                                83.6
    7 Dutch Boy                                  82.6
    8 Boston Crusaders                           82.2
    9 Troopers                                   78.5
   10 Orlando Magic                              77.8
   11 L'Insolite                                 72.6
   12 Marauders                                  69.8
   13 Colts                                      69.6
   14 Black Gold                                 66.3
   15 Carolina Crown                             59.9

Keep in mind that Cavaliers, Star, and SCV were not at this show as they were at DCI Mid-America in Bloomington, IN. It was a long day of drum corps but I loved just about everyone. The Cadets were really impressive. The 1990 show is not my favorite Cadets show, nor do I think it's one of their legendary shows from an entertainment perspective, but all the things my buddy had detailed to me (he had seen them plenty of times that year) were really apparent. Compared to BD or Phantom, and even over what I could remember from seeing Star and Cavaliers, The Cadets marching, legs, upper body, intervals, complex visual design and tempo adjustments...it all seemed to be so professionally polished and seamless. The music book was wonderful with what I thought would likely be a top 3 brass line, perhaps the best percussion on the field, and best guard as well. It was clear they would be very difficult to beat. 

Of course, come DCI East Finals the Blue Devils put up a fight (as they always do) and Cadets had some major flubs that night. They still seemed like the better corps to me, even with the mistakes, but scores were much closer.  Cadets would win 93.0 to BD's 92.7, with Phantom in 3rd at 92.3. 

At DCI Mid-America (also on August 11) Star of Indiana pulled by the Cavaliers and SCV. Scores below:

Bloomington, IN                                DCI
   DCI Mid-America                                   

1 Star of Indiana                            92.5
    2 Cavaliers                                  92.2
    3 Santa Clara Vanguard                       90.3
    4 Bluecoats                                  86.5
    5 Velvet Knights                             84.0
    6 Spirit of Atlanta                          80.9
    7 Blue Knights                               80.3
    8 Glassmen                                   72.9
    9 Sky Ryders                                 72.6
   10 Florida Wave                               65.5
   11 Limited Edition                            62.9

To this point it was becoming more clear that Cadets might win Finals, but who would end up in 2nd and 3rd was totally up for grabs. 

• On August 12 The Cavaliers returned the favor and beat Star 93.2 to 92.6.
  • Also on August 12 The Cadets showed some real muscle in a win over BD 94.0 to 92.5 in Endicott, NY

The following are how scores came out for quarterfinals in Buffalo:

-------------  Thursday, August 16  ------------- 

Buffalo, NY                                    DCI
   Quarter Finals                                    

1 Cadets of Bergen Cty.                      96.0
    2 Cavaliers                                  95.9
    3 Blue Devils                                95.6
    4 Star of Indiana                            95.1
    5 Santa Clara Vanguard                       94.2
    6 Phantom Regiment                           93.6
    7 Crossmen                                   90.6
    8 Bluecoats                                  90.3
    9 Madison Scouts                             89.6
   10 Velvet Knights                             87.8
   11 Spirit of Atlanta                          85.9
   12 Blue Knights                               85.7
   13 Dutch Boy                                  84.8
   14 Freelancers                                84.7
   15 Boston Crusaders                           84.0
   16 Orlando Magic                              82.8
   17 Troopers                                   81.1
   18 Glassmen                                   79.5
   19 Sky Ryders                                 75.9
   20 Ventures                                   74.7
   21 L'Insolite                                 74.4
   22 Academie Musicale                          73.9
   23 Colts                                      72.8
   24 Marauders                                  72.7
   25 Black Gold                                 70.0

Talk about close. Cadets were up by .1 over Cavaliers, BD was .3 back of Cavies and Star was .5 back of BD. I was happy Crossmen were in 7th since they had one of my favorite shows that year, and Bluecoats in 8th also made me very happy. I highlighted BK, Dutch Boy, and Freelancers because the next day would be interesting.

Here are semifinal scores:

--------------  Friday, August 17  -------------- 

Semi-Finals                                       

1 Cadets of Bergen Cty.                      96.8
    2 Cavaliers                                  96.2
    3 Star of Indiana                            95.4
    4 Blue Devils                                95.3
    5 Phantom Regiment                           94.1
    6 Santa Clara Vanguard                       94.0
    7 Madison Scouts                             90.8
    8 Crossmen                                   90.6
    9 Bluecoats                                  90.3
   10 Velvet Knights                             88.5
   11 Spirit of Atlanta                          86.9
   12 Dutch Boy                                  86.3
   13 Blue Knights                               85.1 1.2 down to DB
   14 Boston Crusaders                           84.1
   15 Freelancers                                83.9 were only .1 behind DB at quarters but judges hit them hard at semis
   16 Orlando Magic                              83.2
   17 Troopers                                   79.4

Cadets opened their lead a little, Star made a move over BD and Phantom jumped SCV.  I felt as if Star or the Cavaliers could have been 2nd place and Finals were going to be fun.

-------------  Saturday, August 18  ------------- 

DCI World Championship                            

1 Cadets of Bergen Cty.                      97.7
    2 Cavaliers                                  96.9
    3 Star of Indiana                            96.5
    4 Phantom Regiment                           95.3
    ^ Blue Devils                                95.3
    6 Santa Clara Vanguard                       94.0
    7 Crossmen                                   89.6
    8 Bluecoats                                  89.2
    9 Madison Scouts                             88.7
   10 Velvet Knights                             87.3
   11 Spirit of Atlanta                          83.4
   12 Dutch Boy                                  82.2

I'll say it again, 1990 is not my favorite Cadets show but it's a darn good one. I don't consider it one of their legendary shows like 83, 84, 85, 87 or 2000, 2011 and a few others. That aside, WOW did they perform. You had to be their live. Video does this no justice. They put the spit and polish on the visual and musical package and performed their best show of the season. The Cavaliers were stunning and seemed to have the crowd pulling for them (at least where I sat). Star took brass as I thought they might and were also stunning. In the end I think Star had my favorite show that year. Crossmen were a close 2nd, then Cavaliers, Cadets, BD, Velvet Knights, SCV, and Bluecoats. But in all honestly there was no show that I did not enjoy. Finals in 1990 was a fun ride with lots of entertainment, and at no time did all the top 6 corps meet at one show until Quarterfinals during world championship week. There was plenty of suspense, great competition, and the scores were all over the place. I loved it. 

Thanks for reading. I had some fun times that summer and attended a good number of shows (not all of which I detailed here). I was younger and could travel more in the summer, and for me this was one of the best. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 6

Great read.  I have to say, Endicott NY was an interesting day as a Cadet.  We watched almost an entire block of BD that day (Something we NEVER EVER EVER EVER did) ... I believe they were doing a clinic of some sort.  They were definitely pumped when they saw was strolling in and wanted to show us what was up in 100% BD fashion.  I'd say the outcome was the opposite of the desired effect.  Leaving it there ..............

• Like 2

being in a DCA corps, i saw the Hershey show after we performed, the night after in Red Lion, then finals week, but I followed along in DCW, and got calls from friends on the road. it was definitely a crazy season and by the time the top 6 were set to perform at quarters, no one really knew what would happen.

• Like 1