The 1990 Thread

On 4/8/2020 at 6:51 AM, mfrontz said:

Two thoughts:

That DCI Midwest Finals reaction would have been a sight to behold. Was anyone there? 

The DCI Midwest tour + DCI tour must have been a marathon. They were going about a week to ten days longer than the East corps. 

Plus one: Glad SCORPSboard still has its place on the web. 

Read my story about DCI Midwest on July 28. It was a sight to behold and The Cavaliers stunned the crowd and other corps with a performance that was as hot as HOT can get. As great as DCI Finals were in 1990, and I loved the entire season, that whole day in Whitewater in 1990 (prelims and finals) was really the highlight of the summer for me. It remains one of my most fond drum corps stories.

• Like 2

Monday, August 13, 1990 Hornell, NY DCI Maple City Sound 1 Crossmen 88.9 2 Bluecoats 88.2 3 Madison Scouts 87.5 4 Boston Crusaders 83.7 5 Spirit of Atlanta 82.7 6 Blue Knights 82.0 

In 92, we were in Hornell, NY in early July. A veteran was telling the story of how at the 1990 show, during retreat,  the pit percussion of both the Madison Scouts and the Bluecoats were waiting just outside the gate to see who would be playing that night's victory concert. Imagine their surprise when they both had to make way for the Crossmen pit, which had to come all the way from the parking lot.

Edited by mfrontz

On 4/17/2020 at 8:54 AM, mfrontz said:

Monday, August 13, 1990 Hornell, NY DCI Maple City Sound 1 Crossmen 88.9 2 Bluecoats 88.2 3 Madison Scouts 87.5 4 Boston Crusaders 83.7 5 Spirit of Atlanta 82.7 6 Blue Knights 82.0 

In 92, we were in Hornell, NY in early July. A veteran was telling the story of how at the 1990 show, during retreat,  the pit percussion of both the Madison Scouts and the Bluecoats were waiting just outside the gate to see who would be playing that night's victory concert. Imagine their surprise when they both had to make way for the Crossmen pit, which had to come all the way from the parking lot.

I remember that night, I was in the Crossmen drumline.  We had already performed and changed.  Members were wondering all over the place, in the stadium, parking lot, talking walks etc.  When they announced the scores we were literally taken by surprise.  No one really knew what to do, I don't think we had played an encore that season, or in several seasons.  We were in shorts, tee shirts and flip flops.  World went around quickly to meet back at the truck we were going to play.  The staff told us to grab any corps jackets or Crossmen clothes we had and meet up.  We warmed up in the arc and let a run of the show fly.  I don't think it was that good, and some members were not in top form as they were already "relaxing" for the night.  I'm not even sure if everyone even got word we won or were doing an encore.  A version of this story comes up at every alumni get together with people from 90, a great memory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2020 at 12:34 PM, Yorkvillain said:

A couple of no namers were there in 91 - Paul Rennick & Fred Sanford. 

92 & 93 were arranged by some guy named Dave Glyde. 

Look at the recap. Their drum scores were abysmal. That was really Rennick/Sanford? Yikes.

GE: 8.6 (9th); Field: 8.7 (9th) Ensemble: 8.5 (10th) Had they TIED w/ Star in those three captions, their score would have been 96.8 (Star: 97.0). With '94's line, they probably would have won the '91 title. (WouldaCoulda...)

Man, add 1981 and 2008 to that (both dismal drum scores), and we're looking at 21 or 22 championships.

• 1 year later...

I'm glad this thread got bumped.  I marched & aged out with Black Gold in 1990, with the corps squeaking into Quarterfinals (which was still an accomplishment back then), with a great guard, a solid drum line, and a horn line that had maybe 8-10 strong players and a lot of dirt).  Met & marched with who is my best friend to this day.  This was my 2nd Finals, as I'd gone to KC for my first in 89.  Have never missed a Finals (2020 aside) since.

Cadets were the clear winner that year - just incredible performances and a haunting, beautiful "Somewhere."  Cavaliers were glorious, and OMG, OMG, OMG - Star was just amazing.  That is still one of my top 3 all time favorite shows, brass performances and music books.  

I absolutely loved Tommy, and I fell in love with Phantom that year, with that dark, rich symphonic sound - and that hair-raising Bacchanal.  I loved that these 2 corps tied.  Santa Clara Vanguard was another favorite for me, and a show I still love.  That tunnel ending was pure goose bumps.  What a top 6 that year.

Harvey

• Like 4