It's been two years

4 hours ago, Slingerland said:

There has been one in place for several years now. 

https://www.dci.org/static/complaints-and-concerns

Thanks.  That’s good but I was thinking more along the lines of an 800 number to call anytime.  The DCI process outlined still asks for initial contact to corps leadership or similar upper management person.  That may be felt to be problematic by a victim.  And it may take some time for it to reach DCI avenues of help.  My thought was to raise it to the top first, so when it is looked into from the top, there is more pressure for it to be looked at by the corps and hopefully subsequent and appropriate action taken.  Lose a loophole or a “crack” so to speak.  I appreciate the reply.  Thanks.

17 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Interesting as a channel on Dish Network was showing block of Clash of the Corps yesterday. Wonder if someone had their eye on the calendar 

i dont even know where that is on my cable

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

i dont even know where that is on my cable

Sorry should have said DishTV and not Dish network. If you’re in boonie land and no Verizon, Comcast or whatever you need a dish in the yard or hanging off the house. Sis lives waaaay off the main road so no cable to the house

Edited by JimF-LowBari

8 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Thanks.  That’s good but I was thinking more along the lines of an 800 number to call anytime.  The DCI process outlined still asks for initial contact to corps leadership or similar upper management person.  That may be felt to be problematic by a victim.  And it may take some time for it to reach DCI avenues of help.  My thought was to raise it to the top first, so when it is looked into from the top, there is more pressure for it to be looked at by the corps and hopefully subsequent and appropriate action taken.  Lose a loophole or a “crack” so to speak.  I appreciate the reply.  Thanks.

DCI says that because the WC corps all have whistleblower hotlines themselves, and in every corps I know of, the complaint goes to Board level review, it doesn't go to the ED or Corps Director directly or exclusively. That being said, DCI should require that Board review be part of the process for every member corps, if they don't already. If a corps member feels that their notification either wasn't heard or wasn't taken seriously, they have the option to elevate it to the DCI level - something that would have been necessary in the case of Hopkins' old YEA Board of sycophants.

There have been efforts made at the corps level to get the corps members to understand that the whistleblower policies are in place for issues where health and safety are in danger, and not because a member is unhappy because a corps ran out of bananas at the breakfast table (something that actually happened). But compared to 5 or 6 years ago, when very few corps had any sort of whistleblower policies in place, this is a sea change in terms of oversight from the Boards of the various corps.

9 hours ago, LabMaster said:

I’ve taken comments directly to DCI, so going to the corps first is not the only option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

DCI says that because the WC corps all have whistleblower hotlines themselves, and in every corps I know of, the complaint goes to Board level review, it doesn't go to the ED or Corps Director directly or exclusively. That being said, DCI should require that Board review be part of the process for every member corps, if they don't already. If a corps member feels that their notification either wasn't heard or wasn't taken seriously, they have the option to elevate it to the DCI level - something that would have been necessary in the case of Hopkins' old YEA Board of sycophants.

There have been efforts made at the corps level to get the corps members to understand that the whistleblower policies are in place for issues where health and safety are in danger, and not because a member is unhappy because a corps ran out of bananas at the breakfast table (something that actually happened). But compared to 5 or 6 years ago, when very few corps had any sort of whistleblower policies in place, this is a sea change in terms of oversight from the Boards of the various corps.

What happens when the ED of a Corps is part of the problem?  Like, say he or she knowingly hired an educator, perhaps a brass instructor who had a record of sexual misconduct w/ students, & then engaged a firm to 'scrub the internet' of any record of the misconduct.

Some Corps are More Equal than Other Corps.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

What happens when the ED of a Corps is part of the problem?  Like, say he or she knowingly hired an educator, perhaps a brass instructor who had a record of sexual misconduct w/ students, & then engaged a firm to 'scrub the internet' of any record of the misconduct.

Some Corps are More Equal than Other Corps.

Yep that was always part of our prevention of sexual harassment training at work. First resource to go to is your immediate supervisor. But... if they are the problem then go to.... instead

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 1:07 AM, Jeff Ream said:

two years ago today, the link below shared the article that rocked the drum corps world.

while we know rumors of past abuses and abusers abound...and we aren't going into that...but is DCI safer and better run in regards to this?

Absolutely. The world at large is generally safer for victims and potential victims because this issue is at last being taken seriously, with a number of famous powerful people having lost their jobs or even their freedom (e.g., Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein), and in drum corps likewise it is now known that you may face serious consequence for engaging in or covering up bad behavior.

And just because not all wrongdoers have been punished doesn't mean that they feel the same sort of freedom to engage in their improper activity that they once did. They're on edge, and they should be. The world changed for the better.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MikeN said:

DCI will move on submissions to them in less than 24 hours.  Seen it firsthand.

Mike

Exactly.