In The News – Canton Bluecoats Face Uncertainty After DCI Season Canceled

It was one of the hardest and most emotional phone calls Mike Scott has made. With about 300 Canton Bluecoat corps members, staff and family on the call, the organization’s chief executive officer delivered the season-ending news. Drums Corps International had canceled the 2020 summer tour. Read the rest of the article here.

View the full article

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DCP NewsFeed said:

It was one of the hardest and most emotional phone calls Mike Scott has made. With about 300 Canton Bluecoat corps members, staff and family on the call, the organization’s chief executive officer delivered the season-ending news. Drums Corps International had canceled the 2020 summer tour. Read the rest of the article here.

View the full article

This makes me sad because I know more articles like this are coming.  How many corps will be left by this time next year?  

But is this a typo?  "laying off their nearly 200 employees"

Modern Drum Corps have THAT many employees!!??  How can that be?

Edited by greg_orangecounty
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

This makes me sad because I know more articles like this are coming.  How many corps will be left by this time next year?  

A lot of it is admin, not instructional....takes a lot of behind-the-scenesfolks.

30 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

A lot of it is admin, not instructional....takes a lot of behind-the-scenesfolks.

So it takes more than 1 paid support position for every marching member.....!?  

Something's wrong.  Who exists for whom?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Probably a lot of part-time people. The performing arts company I work for let about 115 people go, around 70 of whom worked 5-20 hours per week, with another 10 or so who were full-time but on short-term contracts.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

So it takes more than 1 paid support position for every marching member.....!?  

Something's wrong.  Who exists for whom?  

I work in a theater. Any given show typically has fewer than a dozen performers, but there are, or were, carpenters, painters, stage electricians, props artisans, costumers, sound and projections technicians, stage managers, directors, designers, production assistants, ticket sellers, house managers, and more I'm not thinking of just connected directly to the shows, and then office staff including a marketing team, fundraisers, a business office, maintenance staff, and more besides, who collectively vastly outnumber the performers.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I work in a theater. Any given show typically has fewer than a dozen performers, but there are, or were, carpenters, painters, stage electricians, props artisans, costumers, sound and projections technicians, stage managers, directors, designers, production assistants, ticket sellers, house managers, and more I'm not thinking of just connected directly to the shows, and then office staff including a marketing team, fundraisers, a business office, maintenance staff, and more besides, who collectively vastly outnumber the performers.

Bluecoats are also staffing an event space/bingo hall, correct? I wonder how much of their 2.5 million budget is payroll.

8 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Bluecoats are also staffing an event space/bingo hall, correct? I wonder how much of their 2.5 million budget is payroll.

Might not some of the workers at bingo's be volunteers from the group running it?

• Thanks 2

They are fortunate that they have a BINGO operation. It may be shuttered now, but that is presumably temporary. At least they can look forward to that reopening and generating some income during 2020. I'm sure there are some other corps without a source of income other than corporate sponsorships, member fees, show money and donations. Those corps will be in even deeper financial trouble this year...   😞 

12 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

200 people?  One, they could be counting every person who gets some money from the BlueCoats, every advisor, prop designer, summer tech, etc, plus bingo hall workers. I know Carolina Crown and Phantom Regiment each have 2 or 3 full time employees everyone else is contracted for their specific job. With season canceled I don't know how liable they are to continue paying those folks. If MM can be released from their contracts  I imagine the corps could also cancel instructor contracts.