In The News – Canton Bluecoats Face Uncertainty After DCI Season Canceled

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Good grief.  I've lived in towns with less people!

I'll ask again; for whom does Drum Corps exist?  

todays member.....it is 2020  member ...2021?

Back in the day if they told us shut up and sit in the corner....we did

If they told us to push the death trap of a bus we rode on...we did it

If they fed us dunkin donuts and orange soda and called it breakfast.....we ate it

different world these past several decades

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

todays member.....it is 2020  member ...2021?

Back in the day if they told us shut up and sit in the corner....we did

If they told us to push the death trap of a bus we rode on...we did it

If they fed us dunkin donuts and orange soda and called it breakfast.....we ate it

different world these past several decades

I love the health, wellness-safety and food improvements, that’s a great change.  But 16 Brass Instructors, 12 percussion, 12 color guard, and 12 “visual education”!!??  Are you kidding me!?

Someone familiar with Drum Corps and with an MBA from an accredited university needs to look at these staffing levels.  I bet you could cut them by 75% and no one in the audience would notice.

Then lower the membership fees for the kids and their parents. 

22 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I love the health, wellness-safety and food improvements, that’s a great change.  But 16 Brass Instructors, 12 percussion, 12 color guard, and 12 “visual education”!!??  Are you kidding me!?

Someone familiar with Drum Corps and with an MBA from an accredited university needs to look at these staffing levels.  I bet you could cut them by 75% and no one in the audience would notice.

I am guessing that most of these instructors, as in other corps I’m more familiar with, work 1 week or so in the summer and a couple spring camps and get a stipend that barely covers their transportation costs to show up.  Calling them “employees” is quite the stretch.  They are contract employees getting 500 bucks to tech for a week...

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

I am guessing that most of these instructors, as in other corps I’m more familiar with, work 1 week or so in the summer and a couple spring camps and get a stipend that barely covers their transportation costs to show up.  Calling them “employees” is quite the stretch.  They are contract employees getting 500 bucks to tech for a week...

Thank you, DrummerParent.  That makes more sense.  

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Fee's do seem very out of control BUT feed, house, transport from sometime in May to Aug. it's cheap. I have friends that spent more to have their kid be a dancing bumble bee in a dance recital . 

I also have taught in the old days so to speak as well as now, When I started one staff person had to know how to basically do everything. NOT today. Even to have a very small winter program ( size wise ) is nothing like back in the day. I have spent thousands just trying to find a space to practice. Nothing is the way it was. Should it be? ok debatable, Can it be? NO!

• Like 1

I certainly hope every corps makes it through but ... likely all will not. 
For me .. it is not necessary to have these over produced electronic extravaganzas for it to be enjoyable Drum Corps. Travel is a huge expense but there is no way the 2919 show was not mega expensive to design produce transport and execute for 10 weeks. Is all that really necessary ?  Why stress your org so much financially?  

I liked the show .. but I also like the much simpler less produced shows too. Maybe there is a reset of sorts.  Idk. 

8 minutes ago, BWise said:

I certainly hope every corps makes it through but ... likely all will not. 
For me .. it is not necessary to have these over produced electronic extravaganzas for it to be enjoyable Drum Corps. Travel is a huge expense but there is no way the 2919 show was not mega expensive to design produce transport and execute for 10 weeks. Is all that really necessary ?  Why stress your org so much financially?  

I liked the show .. but I also like the much simpler less produced shows too. Maybe there is a reset of sorts.  Idk. 

I think 2019 Bluecoats (with both endings) was worth every penny. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, LabMaster said:

The cost of sound guys is probably one of the lower costs.  Think of putting the following on the road from ST to Finals:

154 MM’s, 50-70 instructional staff (designers, techs For a full tour or in & out), food staff, medical staff, misc admin staff, 4-5 busses, 4-5 semis, vehicle insurance, vehicle leasing, souvie staff, souvies and souvie truck/trailer, brass & percussion instruments, electronics, props, licensing, show sponsorship costs. And two big ones; food and fuel.  $2.5m for a top 12 corps is not outlandish.  Super high yes, but not for a top tier competitive touring corps.

you forgot housing

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dbc03 said:

You can also see the 100 or so people on their staff https://bluecoats.com/staff

and they aren't all there all day every day

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I think 2019 Bluecoats (with both endings) was worth every penny. 

Point being .. is it worth possibly shuttering your corps?