In The News – Canton Bluecoats Face Uncertainty After DCI Season Canceled

7 hours ago, BWise said:

Point being .. is it worth possibly shuttering your corps? 

If you’re looking for a “simple” and “less produced” show then I don’t know what to tell you. The activity evolved from that decades ago and it’s not going back now, nor should it. 

Edited by crownisking
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BWise said:

Point being .. is it worth possibly shuttering your corps? 

Nothing is certain, of course, but the chances are pretty good that Bluecoats will emerge on the other side of this pandemic. Their next production may or may not be scaled back, but I am optimistic they won’t be shuttered. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, crownisking said:

If you’re looking for a “simple” and “less produced” show then I don’t know what to tell you. The activity evolved from that for decades ago and it’s not going back now, nor should it. 

You sure......?  I think it will be forced on Drum Corps.  I don't mean going back to entering from one end zone, exiting the other, and color presentations, I mean a simpler version with less theatrics, production and props.  It's much cheaper, just as entertaining, and some might even argue..........

🤭

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

You sure......?  I think it will be forced on Drum Corps.  I don't mean going back to entering from one end zone, exiting the other, and color presentations, I mean a simpler version with less theatrics, production and props.  It's much cheaper, just as entertaining, and some might even argue..........

🤭

DCI will continue to evolve because BOA and WGI continue to evolve. The most dramatic change on the field you might see is corps going back to 3-4 year cycles with the same uniform with slight alterations to fit each year’s show. The corps already own all the electronics and effective props aren’t as expensive as you might think. Ask BD. 

19 minutes ago, crownisking said:

DCI will continue to evolve because BOA and WGI continue to evolve. The most dramatic change on the field you might see is corps going back to 3-4 year cycles with the same uniform with slight alterations to fit each year’s show. The corps already own all the electronics and effective props aren’t as expensive as you might think. Ask BD. 

The props might not be that expensive but transporting them is a big expense. 

15 minutes ago, crownisking said:

I don't know what a BOA is, but I DO know what WGI is as I marched with their Executive Director. 

Not changing uniforms every five minutes would be a nice start.

8 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Fair point. 

9 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I don't know what a BOA is, but I DO know what WGI is as I marched with their Executive Director. 

Not changing uniforms every five minutes would be a nice start.

Bands of America is as close to “professional” high school marching band league as you can get. Some bands are better than others but the top bands could probably give some of the smaller corps a run for their money. 

22 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

And how many xylophones, vibes, marimbas, etc. does Drum Corp really need?  I can’t believe the size of Pits!  They’re annoying because they’re so loud, overbearing, and the camera is always on them. How many trucks does it take to support all that?  Is it worth it?

Less is more.

25 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Bands of America is as close to “professional” high school marching band league as you can get. Some bands are better than others but the top bands could probably give some of the smaller corps a run for their money. 

Yes.  Someone here posted a link to one of the top-current high school marching bands.  Kennedy?, Reagan?, some President, I forget.  I was SHOCKED how good they were!!!  They probably could beat some Corps.

It is odd for me to hear high school bands influence Drum Corps.  It used to be the other way around.  We made fun of them (even though we all came from band ourselves). 

Edited by greg_orangecounty