In The News – Canton Bluecoats Face Uncertainty After DCI Season Canceled

55 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

"The best drum corps are, and always have been the best marching bands"  

If that's true wouldn't it be all Drum Corps and not just the "best ones"?  Your argument is in the realm of semantics in my opinion.  Those outside of the activity, of course, see no difference between the two.  Those inside should know the difference.  

And, of course, there has always been overlap.  Just because a group calls themselves a "Drum Corps" doesn't mean they're automatically better than any high school marching band.  I'm speaking in general terms.  

This I for sure can agree with

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Well what happened?

I thought Drum Corps International was "Marching Music's Major League"?  Using a Baseball  analogy: DCI is to the Majors as High School Marching Band is to a AA or AAA team.  If that's no longer the case then I view it as an indictment on modern Drum Corps.   We WERE superior!  That was the whole point of wanting to be in Drum and Bugle Crops in the first place.  No?

(I know what happened)

DCI is "Marching Music's Major League". There are no HS scholastic bands at the level of the very top corps. 

Don't forget, there are 25,000+ high schools around the country,. Thousands of them compete in drum corps style competitions, at every level of achievement, from beginners through BOA-finalist level. Students who want to do drum corps still do so. First off, many of them are out of HS, so drum corps is their outlet to continue marching/competing. Further, why do concert and jazz bands, as well as orchestras and choirs, have all-state groups? Why does Interlochen exist for summer enrichment? 

Also, there are relatively few HS bands at the BOA-finalist level. You need to live in the school district to march with them. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

And, of course, there has always been overlap.  Just because a group calls themselves a "Drum Corps" doesn't mean they're automatically better than any high school marching band.  I'm speaking in general terms.  

As has always been true, even pre-DCI. There were some good marching bands "back then", and a lot of  low level drum corps at the local level. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

As has always been true, even pre-DCI. There were some good marching bands "back then", and a lot of  low level drum corps at the local level. 

Absolutely!  My first Drum Corp was from the local VFW hall.  Our money  came from whatever the bar tips were, and our "Director" was a stone-cold black-out drunk.  We knew two songs; Semper Fidelis, and Sweet Caroline.  Arcadia H.S. or Los Altos would have creamed us. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

"The best drum corps are, and always have been the best marching bands"  

If that's true wouldn't it be all Drum Corps and not just the "best ones"?  Your argument is in the realm of semantics in my opinion.  Those outside of the activity, of course, see no difference between the two.  Those inside should know the difference.    

No, drum corps are a specific kind of marching bands, that's all. And some drum corps aren't as good as some other marching bands.

10 hours ago, Tim K said:

What you say is happening in many school districts. Schools have been told to prepare as if nothing has changed while being prepared for everything being different. At first glance this may sound contradictory, but it does turn out to be the way that you can offer as many normal services as possible while at the same time not having the unpredictable catch you off guard. 

Regarding this fall, there are many factors. Local shows may not be a problem but traveling could be. Budget cutbacks could also be a factor. While many of the better programs have strong booster programs, not all do, and even with the booster programs if you don’t have a director, you do not have a band. Regarding booster programs, raising funds could be an issue. With unemployment ring so high, every charity will be competing for funds. Another issue is academic performance. Some kids may be behind and will need tutoring that could interfere with band time. These are issues that do not even take into account the possibility of a resurgence of the virus. 

oh i know i talk to band directors daily. however for local shows...how do you socially distance a football stadium?

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

...........................Get off my lawn. 

only when you stop playing your valve rotor at sunrise

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh i know i talk to band directors daily. however for local shows...how do you socially distance a football stadium?

First come, first served for those who sit on the concert side.  Everyone has to sit on their piece of "X tape" which is 6' away and every other row is off limits.  If it's a huge crowd, at some point those ticket holders are going to the opposite side.  No more black plastic at the Oil Can.

This method would only be used for DCI/band shows.  All bets are off for actual football games.

Edited by Ghost