In The News – Canton Bluecoats Face Uncertainty After DCI Season Canceled

34 minutes ago, Ghost said:

This method would only be used for DCI/band shows.  All bets are off for actual football games.

HAHAHAHAH!!! Yeah... I'm imagining someone telling our football crowd where to sit....

*shiver*  

19 hours ago, MikeD said:

Drum corps are and always have been a form of marching band. Yes, we all had this sense of superiority back in the day., myself included. It was silly then, and it is absolutely crazy to think today.

Wow ok if you say so. 

I have not seen a band show that comes close to world class shows. 

• Like 2

On 4/17/2020 at 10:55 PM, crownisking said:

DCI will continue to evolve because BOA and WGI continue to evolve. The most dramatic change on the field you might see is corps going back to 3-4 year cycles with the same uniform with slight alterations to fit each year’s show. The corps already own all the electronics and effective props aren’t as expensive as you might think. Ask BD. 

The BD props don’t look expensive but they execute everything so precisely that I would guess those are costly.  They are professionally designed and built and maintained .  But they do a lot with “simple” props.  I keep mentally going back to Jagged Line and that massive construction on the field. That thing had to expensive to produce maintain and transport. 
Then I look at Crown .. and they execute props so poorly I would not even use them. And I’m a Crownie. 

Is BOA and WGI really driving DCI evolution?  I only see a few BOAs that get close to DCI world class. WGI probably has pushed more dance to DCI .. but small room shows translate poorly to big field shows. I think you can see that translational issue in some of the DCI corps with lots of WGI staff.

but I’m just talking. I really don’t know. But cutting costs will be top of mind in 2021. 

3 hours ago, BWise said:

The BD props don’t look expensive but they execute everything so precisely that I would guess those are costly.  They are professionally designed and built and maintained .  But they do a lot with “simple” props.   

Maybe the chairs they used were extra ones from their Bingo halls.

• Haha 2

On 4/18/2020 at 3:16 PM, Tim K said:

What you say is happening in many school districts. Schools have been told to prepare as if nothing has changed while being prepared for everything being different. At first glance this may sound contradictory, but it does turn out to be the way that you can offer as many normal services as possible while at the same time not having the unpredictable catch you off guard.

It's the Stockdale Paradox, basically planning for the worst while hoping for the best.

https://www.jimcollins.com/media_topics/TheStockdaleParadox.html

18 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh i know i talk to band directors daily. however for local shows...how do you socially distance a football stadium?

The stadium is the easy part. Block off every other row and mark seats off where people are at arm’s length. I know of one school planning on doing that and it is a potential plan for houses of worship. The difficult thing to me would be how does a band socially distance itself during a show? What about football huddles and basketball games? I’m finding breath8mg through masks a challenge. What about student evens where more air is needed. Would wearing masks be safe? 

On 4/19/2020 at 12:27 AM, Jeff Ream said:

oh i know i talk to band directors daily. however for local shows...how do you socially distance a football stadium?

Here in "Southern Football Country", bands regularly travel to all away games & playoff/championships.  Traveling on 5 buses, I can maybe see those trips cut being cut out as a precaution.  But that might actually be a blessing in disguise plus a help to the budget.  Home games only with fans spaced wearing masks.  Could be interesting. :satisfied:  

Edited by keystone3ply
correction