In The News – Canton Bluecoats Face Uncertainty After DCI Season Canceled

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Yes.  Someone here posted a link to one of the top-current high school marching bands.  Kennedy?, Reagan?, some President, I forget.  I was SHOCKED how good they were!!!  They probably could beat some Corps.

It is odd for me to hear high school bands influence Drum Corps.  It used to be the other way around.  We made fun of them (even though we all came from band ourselves). 

Yes we did BUT remember it is the drum corps people ( for money in a lot of cases ) brought the drum corps influence to bands decades ago. As the lines became blurred the same people brought the bands and people back to drum corps. You can debate the good or bad of that BUT can not debate the influence and maybe survival of the activity itself now depends on the relationship of both.

Edited by GUARDLING

44 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Yes.  Someone here posted a link to one of the top-current high school marching bands.  Kennedy?, Reagan?, some President, I forget.  I was SHOCKED how good they were!!!  They probably could beat some Corps. 

Ronald Reagan, from San Antonio, is indeed the top high school marching band at present whose school is named for a President.

(Another Texas band named for a First Lady, Claudia Taylor Johnson, is a regular finalist at major shows over the past several years.)

In my estimation, the top high school bands would score in the high 70s in DCI.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, crownisking said:

If you’re looking for a “simple” and “less produced” show then I don’t know what to tell you. The activity evolved from that decades ago and it’s not going back now, nor should it. 

The activity changed from that. I don’t know if that was evolution or devolution. 

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

The activity changed from that. I don’t know if that was evolution or devolution. 

The record setting attendance would suggest that it was an evolution. Band/drum corps is more popular now than it’s ever been and it’s trending upward despite funding cuts to music education. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, crownisking said:

The record setting attendance would suggest that it was an evolution. Band/drum corps is more popular now than it’s ever been and it’s trending upward despite funding cuts to music education. 

A number of people mention "record setting attendance".

What exactly does that refer to ,and from when to when ?

Attendance at specific drum corps competitions may have grown ,

especially at regional events.

But,could that be because there are a lot less competitions to go to then years ago ?

These DCI events  generate large crowds.

But ,and I don't  think there is any way to do this,what is the overall per season attendance now, compared to say all the competitions  for a

season in the 70's/80's.

I first started following drum corps back in the mid 70's.

There used to be a couple of  local competitions in the area I lived in North Jersey almost every weekend. 

Obviously small venues,but they were packed.

Now,we get one show in Clifton or Metlife.

Add up the attendance for all the small venues shows  nationwide,for a full season, back then, and you'll get a pretty big number.

Just don't know anyway to do it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crownisking said:

That’s an interesting take. I don’t agree with any of it but ok. 

Anyone know the attendance at DCI Finals last few seasons? 

I’d say MB more popular going by crowds and number of shows. But lot less interest in DC than back in my day. 

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’d say MB more popular going by crowds and number of shows. But lot less interest in DC than back in my day. 

Could cost be one of the issues with MB vs. DCI attendance?

I'm looking at some of the discussion on DCI ticket refunds and there are people who are spending a shiatload of money on DCI tickets.

Are MB tickets as expensive?  

1 minute ago, Continental said:

Could cost be one of the issues with MB vs. DCI attendance?

I'm looking at some of the discussion on DCI ticket refunds and there are people who are spending a shiatload of money on DCI tickets.

Are MB tickets as expensive?  

No idea. I’m thinking of the local shows (not national finals) which mean travel expense for people watching is just gas and meal somewhere...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Found a thread with DCI attendance from ca 1975-2016. Recently crowds about 20k and max was late 70s (Denver/Birmingham) low 30k. I remember from the DCA albums liner notes that DCA was 13-15k during that time.

Edited by JimF-LowBari