In The News – Canton Bluecoats Face Uncertainty After DCI Season Canceled

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Only that..........it disturbs me (like fingernails on a chalkboard)  that band and Drum Corps keeps getting mentioned in the same breath here.

"NO!!!  We're not a marching band, we're a DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS!"

Old habit die hard.

Drum corps are and always have been a form of marching band. Yes, we all had this sense of superiority back in the day., myself included. It was silly then, and it is absolutely crazy to think today.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Kal Dirty Hippy or a Furd? (I'm only assuming because "BD" in your name)

Can't rule out the possibility of a bRUIN either.

But, whatever.  In the activity that really matters - football - you've been dominated by us.

Fight On!  ✌️

Actually, I was a Marching Spaztec at SDSU...and EVERYONE  dominated us in the early 80s!

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

for any band circuit, a lot of it will be when A) schools decide to let groups in, even for rehearsals and B) their fall plans. being an administrator in a circuit, i can tell you, we have plans a-z right now. a is we can go as planned, z being we have to cancel like we did the remainder of indoor

What you say is happening in many school districts. Schools have been told to prepare as if nothing has changed while being prepared for everything being different. At first glance this may sound contradictory, but it does turn out to be the way that you can offer as many normal services as possible while at the same time not having the unpredictable catch you off guard. 

Regarding this fall, there are many factors. Local shows may not be a problem but traveling could be. Budget cutbacks could also be a factor. While many of the better programs have strong booster programs, not all do, and even with the booster programs if you don’t have a director, you do not have a band. Regarding booster programs, raising funds could be an issue. With unemployment ring so high, every charity will be competing for funds. Another issue is academic performance. Some kids may be behind and will need tutoring that could interfere with band time. These are issues that do not even take into account the possibility of a resurgence of the virus. 

2 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Actually, I was a Marching Spaztec at SDSU...and EVERYONE  dominated us in the early 80s!

Ha Ha.  "Spaztec"?  Never heard that one.  

In the early 90's, I forget the year, USC played SDSU in SD.  I went to the game and it ended in a TIE!  The walk back to our car and getting out of the parking lot was very contentious. It remains one of my worst road-game experiences outside of Tempe and Pasadena when occupied by bRUINS.

But I LOVE San Diego!  My favorite town in America.  

Edited by greg_orangecounty

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Drum corps are and always have been a form of marching band. Yes, we all had this sense of superiority back in the day., myself included. It was silly then, and it is absolutely crazy to think today.

Well what happened?

I thought Drum Corps International was "Marching Music's Major League"?  Using a Baseball  analogy: DCI is to the Majors as High School Marching Band is to a AA or AAA team.  If that's no longer the case then I view it as an indictment on modern Drum Corps.   We WERE superior!  That was the whole point of wanting to be in Drum and Bugle Crops in the first place.  No?

(I know what happened)

36 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Well what happened?

I thought Drum Corps International was "Marching Music's Major League"?  Using a Baseball  analogy: DCI is to the Majors as High School Marching Band is to a AA or AAA team.  If that's no longer the case then I view it as an indictment on modern Drum Corps.   We WERE superior!  That was the whole point of wanting to be in Drum and Bugle Crops in the first place.  No?

(I know what happened)

The best drum corps are, and always have been, the best marching bands.

And there has always been some overlap in quality between the top college and high school marchings bands and the bottom drum corps.

There was never a time when both activities existed and there weren't some (non-drum corps) marching bands that were better than some drum corps. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Well what happened?

(I know what happened)

No! was that your purpose? and what we might have been over 40 years ago means what today. If you were in Kingsmen ( who by the way was one of my fav's way back then )  that was then a very long time ago and this is now. Kingsmen were't around very long in the DCI era, folded as you said and you also said you yourself didn't age out so obviously you were't part of any change in the activity that moved the activity forward. 

If you want to blame anyone for the blurred lines of the activity you can not look further than Drum Corps people. AS I said before drum corps, people went over to bands to make the money they couldn't in drum corps , implemented style and design , brought staff as well as members back to drum corps. You are ignoring if not for that erased line between the both there might not be a drum corps activity today, SO maybe you should be thanking them rather than trying to be something superior.

What does superior actually mean. IMO I've learned over the years those who have to claim superiority are small in nature. The truly superior know how they become that way and because of who. Noone does it alone, nor the truly superior don't have to announce it, continually tell people how superior they are and always looking for a reason the put someone or something down to make themselves look bigger.. Oh well

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The best drum corps are, and always have been, the best marching bands.

And there has always been some overlap in quality between the top college and high school marchings bands and the bottom drum corps.

There was never a time when both activities existed and there weren't some (non-drum corps) marching bands that were better than some drum corps. 

"The best drum corps are, and always have been the best marching bands"  

If that's true wouldn't it be all Drum Corps and not just the "best ones"?  Your argument is in the realm of semantics in my opinion.  Those outside of the activity, of course, see no difference between the two.  Those inside should know the difference.  

And, of course, there has always been overlap.  Just because a group calls themselves a "Drum Corps" doesn't mean they're automatically better than any high school marching band.  I'm speaking in general terms.  

Edited by greg_orangecounty

27 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

No! was that your purpose? and what we might have been over 40 years ago means what today. If you were in Kingsmen ( who by the way was one of my fav's way back then )  that was then a very long time ago and this is now. Kingsmen were't around very long in the DCI era, folded as you said and you also said you yourself didn't age out so obviously you were't part of any change in the activity that moved the activity forward. 

If you want to blame anyone for the blurred lines of the activity you can not look further than Drum Corps people. AS I said before drum corps, people went over to bands to make the money they couldn't in drum corps , implemented style and design , brought staff as well as members back to drum corps. You are ignoring if not for that erased line between the both there might not be a drum corps activity today, SO maybe you should be thanking them rather than trying to be something superior.

What does superior actually mean. IMO I've learned over the years those who have to claim superiority are small in nature. The truly superior know how they become that way and because of who. Noone does it alone, nor the truly superior don't have to announce it, continually tell people how superior they are and always looking for a reason the put someone or something down to make themselves look bigger.. Oh well

Oh good grief!!  You're making it personal!  "Superior" is in the context of one group's ability and talents vs. another.  It has nothing to do with me and I was in both. 

29 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Oh good grief!!  You're making it personal!  "Superior" is in the context of one group's ability and talents vs. another.  It has nothing to do with me and I was in both. 

It's an old argument , with no real legs, and where do you think this talent today and for a very long time come from. You have to understand where the activity came from where it was in way of growth and where it is now. Most of all HOW and who got it to where it is. All corps and icons in our activity ( including those from your old corps) are the reason we have such amazing corps today.

I'm not sure and you can correct me but it seems you have a very small understanding of it from a short period of time BUT a time where feelings like yours were very common. Like I said me included

No not personal at all just olddddddddddd! and not factual

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1