If Current DCI Model Gets Cut Back...

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

After 9-11 the world changed as we knew it. This will be no different...sadly

One big concern I have is that, as has happened many times before, we'll learn all the wrong lessons and keep fighting the last war.

For instance, we'll focus all our disease-prevention efforts on preventing another COVID-like respiratory infection, and we'll let research into new antibiotics (needed for bacterial rather than viral infections) continue to lapse. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

I didn't know we had a resident Seer. How cool that someone can predict the future! 

Your capitalization reminds me of how Haley Joel Osment's character in The Sixth Sense is named Cole Sear.

He's a seer of dead people.

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Your capitalization reminds me of how Haley Joel Osment's character in The Sixth Sense is named Cole Sear.

He's a seer of dead people.

And of course, besides coal, there are also characters named crow and grey.

Hello darkness, my old friend.

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Actually, I have a feeling that the test will show that many more Americans have been infected than came down with symptoms / signs of Covid-19.  Studies will show whether my hunch is correct.

Also, remember that >98% of individuals currently diagnosed survive the infection.

Speaking of seeing dead people, it appears that in New York City, the COVID19 death count is being vastly underreported.

In the week of March 23-29, the thirteenth week of 2020, the official death count from COVID in NYC was 680.

But there were about 4,500 total deaths in NYC that week -- as compared to an average of 3,000 deaths in the thirteenth week in previous years.

So in that location, at any rate, it seems more than twice as many people are dying from the coronavirus than are being reported as doing so.

If that sort of trend is happening nationally, it might or might not support your expectation about the number of infections being higher rather than lower.

(Early tests in other countries suggest the percent infected is pretty low, though. But it is early.)

- - - - - - - - - -

Still, one way or the other, there will be light after this darkness.

And drum corps will survive in some form. But it may take quite some for it to recover. Jim raises good questions. And I do hope there is a 2021 season.

I live in Brooklyn and last night was the first night I didn't hear ambulances racing through my neighborhood since late february..Surreal is an understatement...My neighbor is a nurse at one of the most crowded hospitals ..She's spent but every morning she goes into battle, without assurance of masks, gowns ' and gloves....this  is America?..pray for those on the front line..Peace

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, LabMaster said:

There may be a tour reduction because some corps or show sponsors can’t afford to run the shows. 

That is a possibility.  On the other hand, we have seen a recent shift toward more shows being sponsored by corps, and many more shows being sponsored by DCI, with numerous third-party tour event partners (TEPs) sidelined.  It is also possible that some TEPs could return to fill any gaps that might otherwise open up in the tour.

So reading the comments, I should request a refund for my DCI ticketed events instead of a donation or credit for the 2021 season?  Or in turn, donate it directly to a specific corps?  In the comments, I'm reading that DCI.org may not be around?  😞

Edited by keystone3ply
addition
  • Like 1

From time to time, we need to recognize those who continually attempt to manufacture hysteria are hurting, not helping. Difficult as it may be, ignore providing them opportunities.

Drum corps is NOT ending.

Drum corps, and you, will be making adjustments. This situation is like going on a ‘drum corps diet.’  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Drum corps, and you, will be making adjustments. This situation is like going on a ‘drum corps diet.’  

Yep and part of the reason for the thread was to get people thinking so they can be more prepared for the difference (including me). Just too much wishful thinking in the world where people keep telling themselves their little piece of it won’t be affected or things will go back to where they were before. 

Change Fred? When was the last time we had Red Carpet Association or International Corps Association championships on the Senior side?. (I was in both lol)

Edited by JimF-LowBari