If Current DCI Model Gets Cut Back...

On 4/10/2020 at 10:11 PM, Terri Schehr said:

Meaningless. They don't even state who they polled. Sports fans? Non-sports fans? How many games a year do these poll-takers normally attend a year? Not to mention the miniscule sample size

Regardless, I am glad those 762 people polled seem to be taking social distancing seriously. 

4 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Maybe for soldiers globally.  But the lack of personal automobiles, good roads, proliferation of air travel, high speed rail  and cruise ship industry, would limit the global travel we see today.  So for the everyday person and businesses in general,  there WAS NOT a lot of travel.

Indeed. It's a give and take. Medicine was not what it is today during the Spanish Flu (such a stupid name for a virus that did not even originate in Spain) which led to the high mortality, yet the world was not even close to as interconnected back then as it is today.  It's going to be an interesting year. 

14 hours ago, Poppycock said:

in the works

uncertain the future is, always in motion

so after the evening news portion of this thread, with accusations of political leanings and other stuff tat got other threads shut down...back to DCI....

17 hours ago, Continental said:

I note what N.E. Brigand posts and see if it integrates with whatever I am hearing on the news - from more than one source and more than one network.  

He's been attacked often on here and all he does is report what he sees.   We have the choice to pay attention or ignore him. 

Disagreeing with someone’s opinion is not an attack.  Pointing out the flaws in an argument is not an attack.  Pointing out the appearance of a consistent bias is not an attack.  

An attack would be, say, accusing someone of not caring whether older people die.

• Like 2

My expectation of a small group of ‘Elite’ organizations (the G-7 reference) emerging to create a better-functioning 2021 season that CAN keep everyone on track for future years is further explained.

A single-tour of extensive travel, all roads ending in Indianapolis, for a 1-2 day Championship, can produce significant revenue. The key will be income from that ‘smaller’ re-entry back to normal. An attractive Championship Weekend will continue income from admissions, souvenir sales, and digital media products. Sponsor exposure and benefits remain.

I believe a smaller, but adequate, number of existing DCI corps (if that’s where this goes) can conduct a travel schedule without requiring public school housing. Deals on hotel lodging can be made, particularly in Indianapolis. Our bigger organizations can cover the use of hotels. Remember school housing, itself, is more expensive then many realize.

Perhaps this.

A 15-17 corps total assemblage in Indy, featuring ‘day-camp’ travel distance corps and those ‘elite’ touring ‘overnight’ groups.

At least 2 Premier Tour Events included along two routes of travel, leading into . . .

Friday Indy Prelim event.   

Saturday Indy Finals event.  

A “Road to Indy Tour” must happen in 2021.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The people who are taking this situation lightly or are clamoring for businesses to open back up in the coming weeks are naive fools. 

I am clamoring for businesses to open back up in the coming weeks.

Granted, what I am clamoring for is a bit more nuanced:

- not this coming week; not the following week; not even the week after that

- not all businesses right away

- not in all areas

No, what I clamor for is that we improve circumstances so that businesses can reopen safely.  That means several things:

a.  Testing, testing, and testing.  Testing so many people that we can determine trends instead of making wild guesses at them.  Testing every medication that might be an effective treatment for the sick, or a prophylactic for the healthy.  And testing the properties of the virus and the effects of every form of mitigation so that we know precisely how to stop it from spreading.

b.  Ramping up production and deployment of all the above treatments, PPE and testing supplies like this is a wartime effort.

c.  Applying the above to each specific occupation and business to determine how they must adapt to operate safely.  Those who adapt can reopen. 

d.  If treatments/prophylactics succeed in stopping the epidemic earlier than the projected date of vaccine availability, reopen and ease restrictions.

That is what I clamor for.  Does that make me a naive fool?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

14 hours ago, Continental said:

Complacency as a result of less than expected results or areas relaxing restrictions too quickly. 

Time will tell.  

Yes time will tell. And who is the judge of “too quickly”?  What is considered success?  No deaths but widespread unemployment?  How about some suicides?  Would that be acceptable?  To suggest that even to have a discussion on such things means we are being complacent is ridiculous. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Indeed. It's a give and take. Medicine was not what it is today during the Spanish Flu (such a stupid name for a virus that did not even originate in Spain) which led to the high mortality, yet the world was not even close to as interconnected back then as it is today.  It's going to be an interesting year. 

Wrong. Medicine is pretty much as ineffective against Covid today as it was against influenza in 1918. And ironically, although you would be correct about lack of interconnectedness in that era, 1918 was a very different year. We were very interconnected. Young people from all across America were thrown together in the military, crammed into troop ships together, sent to Europe, came back home, dispersed. It was, sadly, a perfect storm to spread the influenza.