If Current DCI Model Gets Cut Back...

9 hours ago, skevinp said:

Would it be fair to say that many of the same concerns people have about restarting DCI would also apply to restarting school?  So if they are valid, are high schools and colleges going to be open next year?  Are they going to close every time a student tests positive?  Will everything be done online?  

Yup, definitely. Already schools are starting to make changes.

Boston University announced that they're considering not re-opening the school until January 2021 (I assume they will be online until then)

Colleges are now starting to consider removing the requirement for SAT and ACT scores due to testing centers being closed for the foreseeable future. 

I suspect public high schools will be even more cautious since they all fall under the jurisdiction of state governments, which will surely affect DCI for next season. 

The reality is that until reliable and efficient testing methods are developed, the education system in our country is going to need to make some dramatic changes. I just hope that happens before next summer. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I am in dental school who, before all this craziness, was treating patients on the daily. As a healthcare provider, I am well aware of the effects this disease is having on our healthcare system. I live it. 

The mask decision was puzzling, but I suspect the reason for it was mainly due to concerns about supply. Once hospitals started becoming overloaded, the concern shifted over to flattening the curve, hence the mask recommendation. 

I take issue with your 99+% efficiency, seems like it was pulled more out of your ### than from a poll or study. The governor of North Dakota is still refusing to issue a stay at home order for his state. 

The economy is no doubt a concern and lives will be impacted if we stay at our current course. They already are. 

But this virus is something very different from what we've seen before. Not sure if you've been following the experiments being done, a team in France recently discovered that even when the virus is heating to 140 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour, some strains of the virus were able to survive and replicate. Now, I'm not going to go into conspiracy theories about this being a lab created virus, but this is something very different than what we are used to. We're finding out every day just how much deaths are being under-reported. I understand the cries for opening the economy back up, but I'm afraid things will only get worse if we do.  

agreed. there's so much unknown, and governments everywhere were caught with their pants around their ankles, and even early moves to contain and flatten have shown not to be 100% successful when things open up.

trust me, i worry about my income. i'm getting stir crazy at home. but i'd rather live...i can rebuild finances, i did 12 years ago.i can't rebuild my life if this disease takes it, and apparently i just have to be around other people to get it.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

agreed. there's so much unknown, and governments everywhere were caught with their pants around their ankles, and even early moves to contain and flatten have shown not to be 100% successful when things open up.

trust me, i worry about my income. i'm getting stir crazy at home. but i'd rather live...i can rebuild finances, i did 12 years ago.i can rebuild my life if this disease takes it, and apparently i just have to be around other people to get it.

Yeah, I still feel like I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. I just signed a contract that has me tentatively starting at the end of May. Based on that, my loan broker was to move forward today— we actually may be able to close on our house. (It was supposed to be at the beginning of this month. He said it’s going to the underwriter today. Lord help us...) But they’ll STILL need to see my first paycheck. Which means donning the PPE and firing up a handpiece once again. It’s always come with a degree of risk but I’ve always felt it was manageable. For the first time, though, I’ll be a little nervous about it. But I’m also anxious to get our lives back to some semblance of “normal.” But if I catch this ###### thing, I could also put it all in jeopardy. (Not to mention, my life. As a type II diabetic, I’m at higher risk.) One day I feel like I want to barricade myself in the house and the next I just want to get on with it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The mask decision was puzzling, but I suspect the reason for it was mainly due to concerns about supply. Once hospitals started becoming overloaded, the concern shifted over to flattening the curve, hence the mask recommendation.

Yeah, this does seem to have been a mistake. It would have been better had authorities recommended homemade masks from the start, emphasizing that they probably have some efficacy but that proper masks were scarce and desparately needed for health care workers.

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

North Dakota is still refusing to issue a stay at home order

Hadn't heard about North Dakota, but in South Dakota, they're shaping up to have a big outbreak in Sioux Falls. It appears that more than 500 workers in a pork-processing plant that employs about 4,000 have tested positive. The plant has been shut down, but people there are still able to gather and mingle.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Thanks 2

So, I’ll say it... we still have a ways to go, but as of this moment 2021 looks improbable. I think it’s most likely 2022 before we have a realistic chance of getting back on the field. If that’s the case, I don’t see how many of these organizations, including DCI can survive with little to no revenue. There is a very good possibility that DCI will return in a much revamped fashion or as a regional activity. But I truly feel that we might have seen the last of the  National touring model for quite sometime. I hope I’m wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I am in dental school who, before all this craziness, was treating patients on the daily. As a healthcare provider, I am well aware of the effects this disease is having on our healthcare system. I live it. 

I take issue with your 99+% efficiency, seems like it was pulled more out of your ### than from a poll or study. The governor of North Dakota is still refusing to issue a stay at home order for his state. 

The economy is no doubt a concern and lives will be impacted if we stay at our current course. They already are. 

But this virus is something very different from what we've seen before. Not sure if you've been following the experiments being done, a team in France recently discovered that even when the virus is heating to 140 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour, some strains of the virus were able to survive and replicate. Now, I'm not going to go into conspiracy theories about this being a lab created virus, but this is something very different than what we are used to. We're finding out every day just how much deaths are being under-reported. I understand the cries for opening the economy back up, but I'm afraid things will only get worse if we do.  

"99+%" comes from my own observations.  Or to use your words - as one of the 99+%, I am well aware of the effects this disease is having on our social distancing behaviors.  I live it. 

Honestly, people who could not even form a checkout line two months ago now demonstrate their mastery of every "slow the spread" recommendation and then some.  Voluntarily.

If I learn that there are 3.3 million people in America doing the exact opposite of every single recommended behavior (or 33 million defying 10% of the measures, etc.), that will change my outlook.  Until then, I do not think it is overreaching to say 99+%.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

So, I’ll say it... we still have a ways to go, but as of this moment 2021 looks improbable. I think it’s most likely 2022 before we have a realistic chance of getting back on the field. If that’s the case, I don’t see how many of these organizations, including DCI can survive with little to no revenue. There is a very good possibility that DCI will return in a much revamped fashion or as a regional activity. But I truly feel that we might have seen the last of the  National touring model for quite sometime. I hope I’m wrong. 

At least we do not have a "time to cancel the 2021 season" thread yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

If I learn that there are 3.3 million people in America doing the exact opposite of every single recommended behavior (or 33 million defying 10% of the measures, etc.), that will change my outlook.  Until then, I do not think it is overreaching to say 99+%.

Not going to guess percentages but have seen many people not following social distancing, etc and my guess is not even thinking about it (or even thinking) at the time. I mostly go out for food shopping and tried the Senior hour when stores first open. One store only sells fresh meat at a counter so people mobbed together so not to lose their place in line. Other store had pics of people mobbed waiting for doors to open. No line, no distancing, just clogging door waiting for it to open. This was before masks were recommended for all so very few masks worn either. (I gave up senior hour due to the crowds. Would rather grab what is left on the shelves with less people)

After mask was recommended sister and I checked how many were wearing in public. Low was about 10% at a farmers market and Max was little over 50% at a supermarket. 

Then there is my one in law who invited me to Easter brunch. Along with some members who cannot remain in place because of their jobs. Nice I was thought of but....

These people are probably not ignoring every recommendation or going against them. But they are sure not following 100%.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

On 4/10/2020 at 2:31 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

..... will they come...

Let us say 2021 there is a DCI season. But due to expenses and lost 2020 revenues Corps (some/many/most) cut back on touring, instructors, etc. Will younger people still want to join a corps like before? Will we still see hundreds come out like before? And if some corps can still do full tour, will people just try out for those corps and stay home if they don’t make it?

As a wild card how much will the economy and money losses in 2020 affect people trying out for corps?

Been wondering how long would DCP continue to exist if there were no more drum corps and everything here was a "historical" forum?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Not to interrupt your rant, but that’s what they’re in the process of doing.  This is not some simple task. One billion test kits with all the supporting paraphernalia take time to develop. 

Then, if you want to create a drug, you're talking an even longer time frame and higher RD costs.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_development