If Current DCI Model Gets Cut Back...

10 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Yup, even our dear friend Garfield posted this very irresponsible post less than a month ago. Just terrible misinformation.

LIeIxm2.png

I think probably every COVID post in the various threads here, even those like this one sharing what now appears to be a fairly bad prediction about what would happen (although we haven't reached late April yet, and we may very well be at the peak) was made in good faith. Nobody comes to DCP to deliberately spread misinformation. People were repeating what they'd been told by sources they trust, and they were naturally optimistic, and the situation that subsequently developed was almost too much to conceive in advance. And even their sources of information, for the most part, were acting on the same reasonable motivations.

So for example, when garfield posted, within a day or two of the first coronavirus thread back in late February, that he had good information, from people who stood to lose a lot of money if they were wrong, that a cure was already in development and could be deployed perhaps within as little as six weeks, he wasn't lying to us. He really had heard that from sources he's found to be reliable in the past. He and they both wanted it to be true -- and really, who wouldn't want to believe that?

But (1) they were wrong and (2) even six weeks was enough time for 30,000 Americans to die from this disease.

And those people, like myself, who were pessimistic, probably failed to strike the right tone to get people like garfield to take the possibility of more dire consequences seriously. In my case, the problem was probably...

• Like 2

Just now, Continental said:

I think BOA 2020 is already toast.

Quite likely so. I wonder how secure that organization is financially.

8 minutes ago, Continental said:

Here where I am (Montreal), people are often leaving 20 feet between them and the next person in line. Get too close to someone at a store?  Get hissed at.  Evil eye, raise the mask. 

I was in line at a grocery store earlier in the week and someone got too close walking by to get at the back of the line.

The woman in front of me stretched out her arms and said "back off!"

I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice? :thumbup:

That's good though, I wish people were the same here in the States. I have half a mind to go to the grocery store in a dinosaur suit with a long tail to slap people with if they get too close to me

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

That's good though, I wish people were the same here in the States. I have half a mind to go to the grocery store in a dinosaur suit with a long tail to slap people with if they get too close to me

I’ve been told to take one of the crutches I have in the basement. “6 feet..” poke poke.....

49 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Not much, or so I've heard. It's because many Asian countries had to deal with the SARS outbreak. So they got in the habit of wearing masks in public (and particularly in crowded) places.

I was stationed in Japan in the early 1990s (10 yrs pre-SARS) & face masks worn by the locals was common then

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The American friend(s) I have are very nice and we share so much in common.  i love them so much.  I wish them the best.  I understand that no matter what, we share so much in this.

4 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I was stationed in Japan in the early 1990s (10 yrs pre-SARS) & face masks worn by the locals was common then

Interesting. Did you ever learn the reason?