If Current DCI Model Gets Cut Back...

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Yup, even our dear friend Garfield posted this very irresponsible post less than a month ago. Just terrible misinformation.

LIeIxm2.png

A little over the top on that reaction Cappy. According to IHME website that everyone uses, peak hospital bed demand was five days ago and peak death per day was two days ago. Gar said early April. Not sure that was terribly or irresponsibly wrong. Also I’m pretty sure the decision makers around the country weren’t relying on Gar’s post on DCP to drive their decisions. Geeze this thread drove into a political ditch pretty fast. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’ve been told to take one of the crutches I have in the basement. “6 feet..” poke poke.....

I just had my groceries delivered.  I’ve been doing that for about a month now.

I did go clean an elderly friend’s house this morning after she called yesterday and said it killed her back to vacuum.   We social distanced. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I just had my groceries delivered.  I’ve been doing that for an a month now.

I did go clean an elderly friend’s house this morning after she called yesterday and said it killed her back to vacuum.   We social distanced. 

🙂👍👍👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

A little over the top on that reaction Cappy. According to IHME website that everyone uses, peak hospital bed demand was five days ago and peak death per day was two days ago. Gar said early April. Not sure that was terribly or irresponsibly wrong. Also I’m pretty sure the decision makers around the country weren’t relying on Gar’s post on DCP to drive their decisions. Geeze this thread drove into a political ditch pretty fast. 

I've already noted above that garfield's prediction might well have been correct about the national peak being in April.

But right now, as I type this at 1:45 p.m. (EDT) on Apr. 15, the page you're citing says this at the top: "Last updated April 13, 2020". That was two days ago. The day with the most U.S. COVID19 deaths so far was yesterday, Apr. 14. In other words, we just don't know yet.

And we really don't know whether the country will be in a position a month from now that would have allowed DCI to have a season.

Also, let me say once more that garfield wasn't trying to mislead anyone! Nor was anyone else who presented a relatively cheery view of how this outbreak would play out.

For example, here's a post someone else made on March 14. I have changed two words to make sure it's not political:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Conspiracy theories are based on speculation. The idea that the MSM has an agenda and will stop at nothing to further that agenda and achieve their goal is a widely accepted fact. Heck, they don't even try to hide or dispute it. It is right their on display in plain sight every day and night.

H1N1 Swine flu, 10 years ago, 12,000 deaths, 300,000 hospitalized, 60 million infected. Nothing cancelled, no one cared, [authorities were] praised for the way this was handled. 

COVID 19, 41 deaths, 1500 infected with minimal hospitalizations, 125K infected. All sporting and entertainment events cancelled, schools closed.  Widespread hysteria, panic and paranoia. Stores shelves are empty,"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've omitted the person's name (as you know, it's not you) to spare them the embarrassment of their words being confronted by reality. They just didn't know what was coming, even if the epidemiologists whose guidance led to the shut-down orders being mocked did know. This person made an honest mistake.

But a potentially dangerous mistake too, if anyone here believed what that person (and others making similar arguments) wrote and didn't take steps in their lives to minimize contact with others. (I am reminded of an ironic story I read the other day. There was a judge in one state who last month mocked a lawyer who asked the judge to take steps to protect people in the courtroom from COVID19. That judge has since contracted and died of the disease. I do not wish that fate on this DCP contributor or anyone!)

And the danger was compounded by not only claiming that was there nothing to worry about in comparison to the 2009-10 H1N1 Swine Flu, which killed 12,000 but didn't shut down the economy, but making the further claim that there was a campaign to deliberately lie to us to make COVID19 seem worse that it was. The message was: Those people advising you to protect yourself? Don't trust them!

Here we are just 30 days later, with more than twice as many Americans dead just in the time since that post was made as died in the entire first year of the H1N1 Swine Flu outbreak, and my message is this: Those people who were advising you not to worry? They meant well, but don't trust them!

EVla8ZeWAAQFuTm?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice? :thumbup:

That's good though, I wish people were the same here in the States. I have half a mind to go to the grocery store in a dinosaur suit with a long tail to slap people with if they get too close to me

I was suddenly reminded of this gem from "The Far Side":

gary-larsen.png

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, gak27 said:

I was suddenly reminded of this gem from "The Far Side":

gary-larsen.png

Well my nephew is manager of gun dept of a sporting goods store. He was REAL busy selling ammo. Actually PA reported lot of people tried to buy guns during the crisis. Few thousand got turned down too. Not surprised as he ran checks at his old place that was few blocks from the local police station. “Is he still there? Can you hold him for a few minutes?”. He’d tell the guy the system is running slow or he is on hold then turn his back while watching the mirror (Which faced the front door). “Oh yeah here the plainclothes men.” Arrested because there was an open warrant on the person.. go figure

Edited by JimF-LowBari

7 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

At least we do not have a "time to cancel the 2021 season" thread yet.

no just months of people with medical degrees earned from WebMD surfing to post thoughts

4 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I find the prospect of a smaller, more regionally focused touring model to be very appealing. Imagine the anticipation and excitement of a model where all the corps come together only at finals week. As it exists today, you are pretty well assured of knowing who the champion will be before quarterfinals even starts. I find that boring. 

I see spring training drastically reduced. but the regional tour still has costs, because you house, feed, fuel and have insurance even if just in the region.

lopping spring training to 2 weeks probably saves corps a WHOLE lot of money, even if housing costs go up

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Quite likely so. I wonder how secure that organization is financially.

probably better than DCI, because revenue doesn't go back out to the corps

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well my nephew is manager of gun dept of a sporting goods store. He was REAL busy selling ammo. Actually PA reported lot of people tried to buy guns during the crisis. Few thousand got turned down too. Not surprised as he ran checks at his old place that was few blocks from the local police station. “Is he still there? Can you hold him for a few minutes?”. He’d tell the guy the system is running slow or he is on hold then turn his back while watching the mirror (Which faced the front door). “Oh yeah here the plainclothes men.” Arrested because there was an open warrant on the person.. go figure

the fear of looting to get TP i guess is real

• Haha 1