If Current DCI Model Gets Cut Back...

On 4/15/2020 at 11:11 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

Not much, or so I've heard. It's because many Asian countries had to deal with the SARS outbreak. So they got in the habit of wearing masks in public (and particularly in crowded) places.

Misinformation on your part. Asia has been wearing masks going back to probably before your time. Japan for example was mostly due to allergies. Sars had nothing to do with it. 

https://theculturetrip.com/asia/japan/articles/why-do-japanese-people-wear-surgical-masks/

https://qz.com/299003/a-quick-history-of-why-asians-wear-surgical-masks-in-public/

The custom of facemask-wearing began in Japan during the early years of the 20th century, when a massive pandemic of influenza killed between 20 and 40 million people around the world—more than died in World War I. There were outbreaks of the disease on every inhabited continent, including Asia (where it devastated India, leading to the deaths of a full 5% of the population). Covering the face with scarves, veils and masks became a prevalent (if ineffective) means of warding off the disease in many parts of the world, until the epidemic finally faded at the end of 1919.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, E3D said:

They do wear masks. Goes back for almost who knows how long. I lived there for 4 years. My wife is Japanese. 

Previous to SARS or swine flue / bird flu - almost all of the mask wearing in Japan was sick people not wanting to spread their germs. Now it is both protective and prevention. 

The white gloves is for many jobs even for elevator operators that is still a thing in most upscale department stores. Always very pretty women have that job. 🙂 

10 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

some are already selling themImage may contain: indoor

My daughter & granddaughter made me a tie-dye face mask.

I have seen a Star Wars stormtrooper helmet w/ integral face mask as well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Please show better control. Threatening other posters who might converse with you is taking this too far. Not me, Pal. If you see me at another event you will get a reasonable rebuttal.  This is not the best place to strike fear in others.

It nice to know I have a pal! No threat intended, but sometimes people can get pretty bold behind screen names. Even I do, though a good number of people know me personally. I am willing to walk back my comment and if we do meet, maybe we can wave at each other from a socially safe distance. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

It nice to know I have a pal! No threat intended, but sometimes people can get pretty bold behind screen names. Even I do, though a good number of people know me personally. I am willing to walk back my comment and if we do meet, maybe we can wave at each other from a socially safe distance. 

Good one!  I use my real name to help keep myself under control.  The reality is, if any Drum Corps Planet poster finds themself in the Allentown Area, I’ll probably buy their drinks and dinner!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Plus I thought we had more deaths in the last two days than ever before. And new hot spots cropping up. As for “almost in the clear” let’s cherry pick my home state (PA) our max cases in a day was 1900+. Were down... down to 1100+ each of the last two days. No way almost in the clear. 
On topic: DCI and corps have to be real careful that they don’t think better means things are ok

Annnd back to 1200+ new cases in last 24 hours..... (27k+  total and fifth highest in country). Please don’t get too comfortable folks..... gonna be a while

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Annnd back to 1200+ new cases in last 24 hours..... (27k+  total and fifth highest in country). Please don’t get too comfortable folks..... gonna be a while

I’ve been working from my kitchen table in my robe since March 16.  I can’t get LESS comfortable. I wonder if my car will start?

P.S. I am wearing pants today though. In case you were wondering. I hear there’s been a bit of a problem in Maryland - people making trips to the mailbox not wearing pants. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Not quite sure what was political about my post, please enlighten me. 

The spreading of misinformation, intentionally or not, is dangerous. People are gullible. Maybe one post won’t convince someone but as you browse online and see more and more posts on social media saying “we’re almost in the clear!”, people get complacent. See the image the NE Brigand posted which very perfectly illustrates my point 

We’ll just disagree. You see spreading misinformation. I see expressing hope.  Shouldn’t you be studying root canals or something?  Speaking of which, I read the obit of my small town dentist from WAY back in the day. Back then they did it all. Their knowledge back then was likely “a foot deep and a mile wide”. In other words they dabbled in a little of everything but probably lacked the specialized detailed knowledge you have today. He put in my fillings (plenty of Hg of course - now mostly upgraded to the newfangled studs); he pulled my wisdom teeth. He did it all. Different era for sure. 

Edited by HockeyDad

13 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Speaking of which, I read the obit of my small town dentist from WAY back in the day. Back then they did it all. Their knowledge back then was likely “a foot deep and a mile wide”. In other words they dabbled in a little of everything but probably lacked the specialized detailed knowledge you have today. He put in my fillings (plenty of Hg of course - now mostly upgraded to the newfangled studs); he pulled my wisdom teeth. He did it all. Different era for sure. 

Not that different.

My dentist does everything from cleanings to root canals to implants.

29 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I’ve been working from my kitchen table in my robe since March 16.  I can’t get LESS comfortable. I wonder if my car will start?

P.S. I am wearing pants today though. In case you were wondering. I hear there’s been a bit of a problem in Maryland - people making trips to the mailbox not wearing pants. 

My retirement started 3/1... Got plenty of time and no where to go. Haven’t  filled the gas tank in weeks cuz no where to go except food store. Been living in sweat pants except for weekly trips. Not like anyone would recognize me with the bank robber bandana I wear out. Just me and the dog and so far the dog can still stand me....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, E3D said:

Misinformation on your part. Asia has been wearing masks going back to probably before your time. Japan for example was mostly due to allergies. Sars had nothing to do with it. 

https://theculturetrip.com/asia/japan/articles/why-do-japanese-people-wear-surgical-masks/

https://qz.com/299003/a-quick-history-of-why-asians-wear-surgical-masks-in-public/

The custom of facemask-wearing began in Japan during the early years of the 20th century, when a massive pandemic of influenza killed between 20 and 40 million people around the world—more than died in World War I. There were outbreaks of the disease on every inhabited continent, including Asia (where it devastated India, leading to the deaths of a full 5% of the population). Covering the face with scarves, veils and masks became a prevalent (if ineffective) means of warding off the disease in many parts of the world, until the epidemic finally faded at the end of 1919.

Thank you for the correction.

(Edited to remove extraneous thoughts.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand