If Current DCI Model Gets Cut Back...

45 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Not sure which "freak out" you are referring to, so here are the top three.

1.  First issue with uncounted cases is that it inflates the apparent mortality rate of the virus.  If* decisions are made on that basis, they would tend to be overreactive.

2.  Both the containment and "slow the spread" phases of our efforts are harder to execute when we are not identifying who has the virus.

There are people saying things are not as bad as they seem because not all cases and deaths are counted. Freak out is angry way it is said as if don’t trust what is reported by medical people. What is not said is that underreporting is true of ANY flu type epidemic.

Agree with #2 and this is heart of the threads topic. If no one knows what areas still have cases and could flare up then how can DCI safely send corps out on tour. Health and lawsuit concerns come to mind very quickly. What would happen to DCI if middle of tour everything gets cancelled or a corps comes down with the virus. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

36 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Agree with #2 and this is heart of the threads topic. If no one knows what areas still have cases and could flare up then how can DCI safely send corps out on tour. Health and lawsuit concerns come to mind very quickly. What would happen to DCI if middle of tour everything gets cancelled or a corps comes down with the virus. 

Yes.  Those concerns are going to be topics of discussion for months to come.

If quarantine/isolation remain our primary responses to health concerns for lack of treatments, prophylactics or vaccines, restarting drum corps gets very complicated.  You can imagine drum corps may be one of the last things to reopen.

Regarding lawsuits, there will be certain new safety/hygiene practices required of drum corps, and it would be a liability issue if they fail to do so... just like any other failure to keep people safe.

• Like 1

Some good news: per this story, two of the world's leading vaccine manufacturers, Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline, have announced that they will collaborate on developing a COVID19 vaccine.

Some not so good (but unsurprising) news: "they aim to complete all of the work required to file for regulatory approval by the second half of 2021".

In other words, those big companies don't think there will be a vaccine ready during (part of? all of?) the 2021 drum corps season.

Doesn't mean there can't be a 2021 season, depending on what else happens.

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Some good news: per this story, two of the world's leading vaccine manufacturers, Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline, have announced that they will collaborate on developing a COVID19 vaccine.

Some not so good (but unsurprising) news: "they aim to complete all of the work required to file for regulatory approval by the second half of 2021".

In other words, those big companies don't think there will be a vaccine ready during (part of? all of?) the 2021 drum corps season.

When developing a vaccine, part of the process is looking for antibodies in (volunteer) test subjects some months after the vaccine is administered.  And it takes 6 months of waiting until you can get a 6 month data point.  

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So True...."IF" there is a 2nd wave of this , of ANY KIND 2021 will also be a challenge for all of the activity. High Schools are the life blood of WGI and many parts of our activity. You know HSs will impact either way with their decisions

Edited by GUARDLING

5 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

But they do a lousy job of defining what they mean by pre-existing medical condition. If I have hypertension well controlled by medication, do I have a pre-existing medical condition?  That describes many millions of Americans yet I’ve not seen an answer. Seems like a very basic question too. DCI. Haircuts. 

A large number of older people have those conditions, and since most of the victims are older, that may be inflating the apparent significance of the conditions.

Would it be fair to say that many of the same concerns people have about restarting DCI would also apply to restarting school?  So if they are valid, are high schools and colleges going to be open next year?  Are they going to close every time a student tests positive?  Will everything be done online?  

Just now, skevinp said:

Would it be fair to say that many of the same concerns people have about restarting DCI would also apply to restarting school?  So if they are valid, are high schools and colleges going to be open next year?  Are they going to close every time a student tests positive?  Will everything be done online?  

Colleges are accepting applications. I think all schools are at least making contingency plans for a lot of distance teaching. We partner with a university to train acting students, and after an extended spring break, they're taking their classes remotely.

8 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I think you will see things turn to an alternative way of schooling for some. I have already seen TV ad's on free on line schooling K-12. I do think schools may re- open for sure BUT I might be a longer haul for large events or things that take students out of town. Out least in the beginning. As I said "IF" there is a 2nd wave of this it will only make such changes inevitable. 

Like after 9/11, life as we knew it changed, Sadly for many this will be no different. Unfortunately IMO there are also those who forget , or  choose 2

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1