Sketchbook Podcast, Ep. 28, Part 1: Chris Komnick (Executive Director, Madison Scouts D&BC)

Greetings!

For about six months now I have hosted Sketchbook Podcast which focuses on creativity, preparation, & effort with artists, creators, & educators. Part 1 of the interview with Chris Komnick, executive director of the Madison Scouts, releases at midnight on April 13th. I fully realize that to many, Komnick and/or the Scouts tend to incite some polarizing posts and threads. But this episode is drum corps related and so I thought I would make sure to publicize here.

Ep. 28, Part 1: Chris Komnick (Executive Director, Madison Scouts D&BC)

So that you have an idea of what exactly we talked about, here are the bullet points for Part 1:

• Personal Profile
    • Life, Education, and career
  • Komnick's path from marching member to executive director.
  • Is drum corps too expensive?
    • Increase in costs, where does the tuition go, & how much does member tuition actually cover.
  • The effects of BAC assembling their "super group" of designers and staff in 2016 & the California Wage & Hour Laws on DCI.
    • Have the two coasts altered the financial landscape of DCI?
    • Does the cancellation of the 2020 season function as a "financial reset" for DCI?
  • The timeline and process behind deciding to become gender-inclusive.

To some, this may not seem we got too deep into DCI and/or the Madison Scouts. But I assure you that Part 2 will definitely focus on the highs and lows of the Madison Scouts. Part 2 will release later this week.

Sketchbook Podcast is available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, & wherever fine podcasts are downloaded.

Ep. 28, Part 1: Chris Komnick (Executive Director, Madison Scouts D&BC)

• 11 months later...

There is still an enormous presence of Covid 19 on all levels, not to mention its variants.  A 2021 season

is not practical, or possible.  It may serve your organization (formerly known as the Madison Scouts) best

to use this spring/summer season to create a unique identity for your upstart organization.   In each of the

series, you are focused on the image, and history of the World Class Madison Scouts.   This upstart group

needs to find their own way, in all ways.  The real Madison Scouts have their own identity.  Wishing you

well with your musical upstart.