Brass fixes for shut-ins

Love to hear some top shelf brass playing that is off the beaten path.  The more obscure, the better.

Here's a start:

Example #1. The stratospheric trumpet obbligato on Bobby Sherman's Julie, do you love me.   If you hold your nose on the pop song and focus on the trumpet, it is pretty impressive!

Example #2. The Chuck Mangione style flugelhorn playing on a few tasty moments of  "Bye Bye Life" with Ben Verneen at the end of the movie ALL THAT JAZZ.  Caution, I am not sure of this movie's rating, it has been a while since I have seen it.

What do ya got?

"keep calm and carry a tune"

8 minutes ago, Rudy Wiedoeft said:

Love to hear some top shelf brass playing that is off the beaten path.  The more obscure, the better.

Here's a start:

Example #1. The stratospheric trumpet obbligato on Bobby Sherman's Julie, do you love me.   If you hold your nose on the pop song and focus on the trumpet, it is pretty impressive!

Example #2. The Chuck Mangione style flugelhorn playing on a few tasty moments of  "Bye Bye Life" with Ben Verneen at the end of the movie ALL THAT JAZZ.  Caution, I am not sure of this movie's rating, it has been a while since I have seen it.

What do ya got?

"keep calm and carry a tune"

All That Jazz is rated R. Have that in my dvd collection with the “not that widely known but really good” collection not to be confused with the “wth did you find this time?” collection. 

Still can’t believe that’s Roy Schieder channeling Bob Fosse

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Rudy, I do the same. Try on youtube-Tower of Power's 40th Anniversary rendition of "Time Will Tell" at around the 53 minute mark I think. You will love what the trumpets do in the background. What a ballad that could be for BD.

Try some Louis Dowdeswell on youtube if you haven't yet. 

1 hour ago, Drumcorpdad62 said:

Fanfare for the Common Man -- Opening

Take a letter Maria -- R.B. Greaves during the chorus

Opening to “Ring of Fire” Johnny Cash.... 

• Like 1

To me anyway, this was off the beaten path. For some reason I found myself watching a YouTube vid of 1970 Blessed Sacrament. Their closer - I had never heard that song before. Turns out it was “Free Again”, a late ‘60s song done by Barbra Streisand (and others too). OH MY - the soprano solo!  I don’t know who that was (but I bet some of you do) but so smooth as butter and soaring. If you haven’t heard it, you really must check it out. 

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

To me anyway, this was off the beaten path. For some reason I found myself watching a YouTube vid of 1970 Blessed Sacrament. Their closer - I had never heard that song before. Turns out it was “Free Again”, a late ‘60s song done by Barbra Streisand (and others too). OH MY - the soprano solo!  I don’t know who that was (but I bet some of you do) but so smooth as butter and soaring. If you haven’t heard it, you really must check it out. 

That's OK HD, I'll do it!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAj7356WCD8

7 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Anything by Bill Chase.

YES! I was VERY fortunate to chauffeur Bill and members of his band when they had a brass clinic and concert at NC State BITD. Great group of guys. I was a big fan since "Get It On" and am still a fan. Gone too soon. 

• Like 1