William Walton (92) and William Walton Returns (93)

It's always seemed a little odd to me that the Freelancers played all William (Don't Call Me Bill) Walton in 1992. Then their NoCal neighbor, the Santa Clara Vanguard, played All Walton, All the Time in 1993. They didn't play the same content, but they played shows with themes that were literally "We're Playing William Walton" (i.e., The Music of Sir William Walton in 92, A Walton Trilogy in 93). 

There were plenty of borrowed reps in the old days, but this one in particular always stuck out to me because (i) that sort of thing was going out of fashion a bit by then, and (ii) the Freelancers were a top 12 corps in 1992 (e.g., this wasn't a 22nd place Colts playing In the Spring in 91, then 1st place Cadets playing it in 93). 

Anyone have insight on the 1993 selection by SCV? Were they inspired by the Freelancers? Were they competitively one-upping the Freelancers? Totally unrelated? 

Not sure SCV was inspired by The Freelancers but, the 1989 Star of Indiana “British Invasion” is one of my most memorable shows and, likely the most memorable field show featuring Walton (and Holst).  It was an attention getter.  

FWIW - On their finals comeback, The Freelancers did a very innovative and avant garde John Williams (composer) themed show that was also memorable.  

39 minutes ago, Land_Surfer said:

FWIW - On their finals comeback, The Freelancers did a very innovative and avant garde John Williams (composer) themed show that was also memorable.  

I dont think I've seen that one, but the 91 show was, to me, pretty wild musically.

William Walton's music played by various drum corps through the years:

A Walton Trilogy (1993 Santa Clara Vanguard - Santa Clara CA)
Show Title Sir William Walton (1998 Phoenix Regiment - Tokyo)
Show Title Songs From A Modern Kingdom - The Music of Holst, Arnold and Walton (2001 North Star (Scotland) - Renfrewshire)
Show Title The Music of Sir William Walton (1992 Freelancers - Sacramento CA)
Repertoire Agincourt Song (from Henry V) by William Walton
Repertoire Battle of Britain by William Walton
Repertoire Belshazzar's Feast by William Walton
Repertoire Crown Imperial by William Walton
Repertoire First Symphony by William Walton
Repertoire Gallop Final by William Walton
Repertoire Henry V by William Walton
Repertoire Johannesburg Festival Overture by William Walton
Repertoire Overture to the Globe Playhouse from Henry V by William Walton
Repertoire Portsmouth Point Overture by William Walton
Repertoire Praise Ye (from Belshazzar's Feast) by William Walton
Repertoire Praise ye the God of Gold (from Belshazzar's Feast) by William Walton
Repertoire Presto with Malice (from the First Symphony) by William Walton
Repertoire Richard III by William Walton
Repertoire Song of Tears (from Belshazzar's Feast) by William Walton
Repertoire Spitfire Prelude by William Walton
Repertoire The Orb and the Scepter by William Walton
Repertoire Then Sing Aloud (from Belshazzar's Feast) by William Walton
Repertoire Then sing aloud to God our strength (from Belshazzar's Feast) by William Walton
Repertoire Touch Her Soft Lips and Part (from Henry V) by William Walton

7 hours ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

Star also played Walton in 1990, admittedly with a more specific theme (Belshazzar's Feast), but that's still quite a lot of Walton in a few years.

Excellent point - I didn't think about Star 1990 because of how thematic it was. 

19 hours ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

Star also played Walton in 1990, admittedly with a more specific theme (Belshazzar's Feast), but that's still quite a lot of Walton in a few years.

1990 Star is one of my all time favorites.  Amazingly advanced both musically and visually... ahead of its time as usual.  

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 9:34 PM, kdaddy said:

It's always seemed a little odd to me that the Freelancers played all William (Don't Call Me Bill) Walton in 1992. Then their NoCal neighbor, the Santa Clara Vanguard, played All Walton, All the Time in 1993. They didn't play the same content, but they played shows with themes that were literally "We're Playing William Walton" (i.e., The Music of Sir William Walton in 92, A Walton Trilogy in 93). 

There were plenty of borrowed reps in the old days, but this one in particular always stuck out to me because (i) that sort of thing was going out of fashion a bit by then, and (ii) the Freelancers were a top 12 corps in 1992 (e.g., this wasn't a 22nd place Colts playing In the Spring in 91, then 1st place Cadets playing it in 93). 

Anyone have insight on the 1993 selection by SCV? Were they inspired by the Freelancers? Were they competitively one-upping the Freelancers? Totally unrelated? 

Since it was all different music, I’d say there was no connection. That’d be like a corps playing Cats one year, and the next year a corps playing Jesus Christ Superstar. I wouldn’t think they’re related.