IMO BILL COOK

4/15/2011
A great read for those who did not know him well and even for those who do. - https://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/26/business/26cook.html?fbclid=IwAR2eH-GurR3k1q_mj0Sr00Ki0lRmRtr-6Od3gs2XafHBIg_uW2ZLs7OI90o 

I wonder what he would think about the activity today?

Do you have a Bill Cook story?

Edited by njthundrrd

24 minutes ago, njthundrrd said:

4/15/2011
A great read for those who did not know him well and even for those who do. - https://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/26/business/26cook.html?fbclid=IwAR2eH-GurR3k1q_mj0Sr00Ki0lRmRtr-6Od3gs2XafHBIg_uW2ZLs7OI90o 

This is sad news. RIP Bill. Thoughts and prayers to the cook family. 

no story to share but I absolutely hated Star but it was born from jealousy of the business he created. They were good and it was fun during those early years to live through the comments from other corps and members reaction to them joining the tour. 

51 minutes ago, njthundrrd said:

4/15/2011

He sent a CD to me in the 90’s of Star with the brass group whose name escapes me right now.  Nice man.  Salt of the earth.  No pretension from him. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, E3D said:

This is sad news. RIP Bill. Thoughts and prayers to the cook family. 

no story to share but I absolutely hated Star but it was born from jealousy of the business he created. They were good and it was fun during those early years to live through the comments from other corps and members reaction to them joining the tour. 

It’s old news, from 2011.

Why did you dislike Star so?  Because they were so young and raced to the top?  If you have money, use it to do great things, and Star did.  They hired the best staff purchased the best equipment, etc.  I have no qualms with that.  Spending years growing, learning, maturing is great if you have time but why, when money can get you there faster?

The Times obit is from 2011.

I never met Bill personally, but had taught his son's previous corps. He was quite generous and understood the "big picture" of the activity.

When a rival corps to Star that I worked with in the mid-80s ran into transportation difficulties on the road, he stepped in to personally ensure the remainder of their tour.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

He sent a CD to me in the 90’s of Star with the brass group whose name escapes me right now.  Nice man.  Salt of the earth.  No pretension from him. 

Brass Theater

• Thanks 1

"You have a very nice drum corps also!" A favorite Zingali and Bill Cook line during the early years of Star. 

16 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Might have been Canadian Brass?  I believe they did a concert series with them as part of their Brass Theater program.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Land_Surfer said:

It’s old news, from 2011.

Why did you dislike Star so?  Because they were so young and raced to the top?  If you have money, use it to do great things, and Star did.  They hired the best staff purchased the best equipment, etc.  I have no qualms with that.  Spending years growing, learning, maturing is great if you have time but why, when money can get you there faster?

Like I said in my post. I was jealous of the money and the talent they put together. Don't get all upset about someone's opinion. 🙂