The 1991 Thread

Really busy during Holy Week, but it's time to get back to reminiscing about DCI year by year. I proudly present the 1991 thread.

1991 was the first year I really started following DCI during the season. Went to an early season show at Franklin Field. Phantom won with an incredible show, Cadets were dirty but amazing, Crossmen promising. Then my first DCI East with Lisa, a friend of mine whose boyfriend Dale (now husband) was a tenor player for Crossmen. The buzz was that Crossmen had beaten the Blue Devils in prelims. They tied BD at the evening show and beat Cadets. Huge night for Crossmen, but they would fall back to eighth at DCI finals. Some corps called the Cavaliers won the show. 

That Crossmen percussion section... and BD's soprano line... and that Cavalier drill... and... and... and...  

There was a guy with a weird (weeaahd) accent announcing the show... when he said (Corps Name) from (Place) we had to say 'YOU!' at which point he would say 'may enter the field for competition.'

The next summer Paul Cain would be my corps manager, Lisa and Dale my fellow Crossmen, and I would be one of those taking the field in Allentown.

Let's talk 1991.  

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 3

Paul Cain - that guy was a treasure. I can still hear his voice announcing the corps...  I don't know of any other announcer who so effortlessly communicated his, and our, love for those kids on the field.

• Like 2

This was my rookie year in DCI. I hadn’t really expected to even try out, much less march in Finals. It was a long, hard summer but I had a good time and got to know some really great people. This was my first time going to California. Seeing BD for the first time live (with that insane hornline) was a near religious experience. Touring with them and SCV (whose show I loved) was a blast. I remember playing a standstill at the opening ceremonies of the Special Olympics. (SCV was there too. Man were they LOUD.) We were housed at Ft. Ord for a week or so— having bunk beds was a nice treat. (No one used air mattresses in those days.) And Finals was a home show! I’m still very proud of Sky’s show that year— fun arrangements and Brubaker drill to boot.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mfrontz said:

Really busy during Holy Week, but it's time to get back to reminiscing about DCI year by year. I proudly present the 1991 thread.

1991 was the first year I really started following DCI during the season. Went to an early season show at Franklin Field. Phantom won with an incredible show, Cadets were dirty but amazing, Crossmen promising. Then my first DCI East with Lisa, a friend of mine whose boyfriend Dale (now husband) was a tenor player for Crossmen. The buzz was that Crossmen had beaten the Blue Devils in prelims. They tied BD at Finals and beat Cadets. Huge night for Crossmen, but they would fall back to eighth at DCI finals. Some corps called the Cavaliers won the show. 

That Crossmen percussion section... and BD's soprano line... and that Cavalier drill... and... and... and...  

There was a guy with a weird (weeaahd) accent announcing the show... when he said (Corps Name) from (Place) we had to say 'YOU!' at which point he would say 'may enter the field for competition.'

The next summer Paul Cain would be my corps manager, Lisa and Dale my fellow Crossmen, and I would be taking the field in Allentown.

Let's talk 1991.  

i was at those two shows....Phantom was smoking at Franklin. it seemed then that the Cadets show was maybe going to need some serious work, and Crossmen looked poised to make some noise. I also thought Spirit had great potential. A week later at Hershey Bluecoats also looked to have promse if they figured out the closer

then East. Crossmen peaked early. They were on fire both shows!!! Not sure what happened after they headed towards Dallas, but they never recovered. Cavies were stunning. BD's percussion was holding them back but the show was cool. Boston grew on me too. Cavies were incredible.

then Dallas. i enjoyed Star, but the show grew on me in time. Cavies were good, but not enough. Phantom just kind of faded ( a theme in that era), but still 3rd. I to this day worship SCV. Madison CofA1 was great, but 92 was better. Crossmen were great, but they lost something after East. BK and Freelancers enjoyable and Bluecoats seemed to be lower than they could have been. Sky Ryders went back to musicals and as a result back into finals.

outside of finals Dutch Boy tried to recapture the 90 magic, but it didn't catch. VK was fun, and Spirit...I dunno. i have it higher. the Glory ending is haunting and so true to the original source material. Boston with the tag Conquest thrown on, and Glassmen starting to make their move. Magic also starting to grow and Colts I felt could have been higher.

good year. 

44 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i was at those two shows....Phantom was smoking at Franklin. it seemed then that the Cadets show was maybe going to need some serious work, and Crossmen looked poised to make some noise. I also thought Spirit had great potential. A week later at Hershey Bluecoats also looked to have promse if they figured out the closer

then East. Crossmen peaked early. They were on fire both shows!!! Not sure what happened after they headed towards Dallas, but they never recovered. Cavies were stunning. BD's percussion was holding them back but the show was cool. Boston grew on me too. Cavies were incredible.

then Dallas. i enjoyed Star, but the show grew on me in time. Cavies were good, but not enough. Phantom just kind of faded ( a theme in that era), but still 3rd. I to this day worship SCV. Madison CofA1 was great, but 92 was better. Crossmen were great, but they lost something after East. BK and Freelancers enjoyable and Bluecoats seemed to be lower than they could have been. Sky Ryders went back to musicals and as a result back into finals.

outside of finals Dutch Boy tried to recapture the 90 magic, but it didn't catch. VK was fun, and Spirit...I dunno. i have it higher. the Glory ending is haunting and so true to the original source material. Boston with the tag Conquest thrown on, and Glassmen starting to make their move. Magic also starting to grow and Colts I felt could have been higher.

good year. 

I remember being really impressed with Spirit. Loved the old style drums and the arrangement of American Salute. 

Also liked BK. I remember before BK's show at Allentown someone near me was talking to a buddy... saying, 'I've always wanted to hear Outdoor Overture... outdoors.' 

If anyone picked up my PR corps jacket from my room at the La Quinta near the Vanderbilt stadium, please pm me.

I left it in my room after 1991 DCI South.

It says "Contrabass", and has a long Greek name on it.

Edited by troopers1

19 minutes ago, Continental said:

Rehearsal footage from Phantom very early in the season.  Lots of their show yet to be fine tuned and modified.  JD Shaw has the solo in the opener.     

Glad the bari (front line right)mistake around 4:30 didn't happen in finals.