The 1991 Thread

On 4/17/2020 at 4:58 PM, Ghost said:

Glad the bari (front line right)mistake around 4:30 didn't happen in finals.

From what I understand, the infamous guard "leg split" was not put in until the end of the season.  I remember seeing it and thinking "I can't believe they just did that!"

However at the 17:14 mark in the early season video, you can see one guard member doing it on the right hand side of the screen.   

23 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I did not attend the Preview of Champions show in Madison, WI on July 27, but I heard many of the negative rumblings about how fans treat Star of Indiana at that show. Apparently there were a lot of "boos" and other mean-spirited comments made. Star's show from 91 may look more mainstream to us today, but at that time many did not like it. Felt they were too modern, felt they were cheating by playing with the arrangements in a way that "somehow" made it easier to get points. I actually overheard a conversation to this extent at the DCM Finals in Dekalb. It was like listening to two guys share "old wives tales" in order to convince themselves that somehow Star was cheating. People were adjusting. Some did not like that Star had become this good in such a short period of time. Some did not like that they were beating corps who had struggled to earn their keep in DCI over the years. Some felt they were poaching kids and staff from other corps..

I did attend Preview of Champions. Prelims during the day and finals at night. Remember those days?  Anyway, my take on the booing was not so much that people didn’t like Star, rather, people REALLY loved Cavies. So it was more a disappointment that Cavies didn’t win versus not liking Star. But oh boy, yes I remember the booing. It was at Prelims. And more than the booing, I remember the announcer’s reaction. Right over the public address system - “That’s uncalled for!”  Remarkable. Dressing down the crowd over the PA system. Never saw it happen before or after. The crowd reaction at the night show was definitely more muted, having been properly scolded in the afternoon haha. Was I one of the booers?  Hmmm.  I can’t remember. 🙄

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

People complained about Star's show being out there or whatever, but if you watch any video of their shows that summer you'll see the impact it had on everyone.

There are a lot of very quiet moments in that show, even near silence.  And you never hear crowd noise.  Ever.  When Star performed, everyone was caught up in it.

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I did attend Preview of Champions. Prelims during the day and finals at night. Remember those days?  Anyway, my take on the booing was not so much that people didn’t like Star, rather, people REALLY loved Cavies. So it was more a disappointment that Cavies didn’t win versus not liking Star. But oh boy, yes I remember the booing. It was at Prelims. And more than the booing, I remember the announcer’s reaction. Right over the public address system - “That’s uncalled for!”  Remarkable. Dressing down the crowd over the PA system. Never saw it happen before or after. The crowd reaction at the night show was definitely more muted, having been properly scolded in the afternoon haha. Was I one of the booers?  Hmmm.  I can’t remember. 🙄

Having not been there it is good to hear your take on this. I did not know that the announcer dressed down the crowd after prelims. Was that Brandt Crocker? Cavaliers were definitely a fan favorite that year, so I can understand the crowd pulling for them...especially in the Midwest. 

5 minutes ago, Continental said:

1991 Star of Indiana - High Cam

Yay! A high cam cross to cross!

8 hours ago, Continental said:

From what I understand, the infamous guard "leg split" was not put in until the end of the season.  I remember seeing it and thinking "I can't believe they just did that!"

However at the 17:14 mark in the early season video, you can see one guard member doing it on the right hand side of the screen.   

Fascinating. Makes you wonder - was the guard originally supposed to do either improvised or unique 'bacchanalia' type actions and this one was later settled on as unison move? In any case, one of the most suggestive choreographical choices in the history of DCI. I can only imagine its impact if it were done in the days of DCP.

On 4/22/2020 at 1:35 AM, Chief Guns said:

That 91 BD horn line................omg! Talk about an out of body experience to hear them live. Greatest horn line in the history of DCI IMO. 

Years ago, there were a few weeks when the BD Mediabox had the 'BD Through The Years' staff interviews free on the site. One of the more fascinating tidbits was hearing Jay Murphy tell the story of how Don Sebesky's 'Bird and Bela in B Flat' was recommended to him as a potential BD chart by none other than George Zingali. As the BD staff tossed around ideas in fall of 1990, Murphy apparently gave Wayne Downey the record, leaving out, of course, the identity of the person who gave him the idea. The rest, as they say...

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 5