The 1991 Thread

8 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Fascinating. Makes you wonder - was the guard originally supposed to do either improvised or unique 'bacchanalia' type actions and this one was later settled on as unison move? In any case, one of the most suggestive choreographical choices in the history of DCI. I can only imagine its impact if it were done in the days of DCP.

The associated thread would end up like so many others?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

Fascinating. Makes you wonder - was the guard originally supposed to do either improvised or unique 'bacchanalia' type actions and this one was later settled on as unison move? In any case, one of the most suggestive choreographical choices in the history of DCI. I can only imagine its impact if it were done in the days of DCP.

There is another video showing Phantom at the Canton OH (June 15) and Madison WI (July 12th?) shows (see below).  Not sure of the date for Madison WI as Phantom was also at DCI Preview of Champions on July 27th. (I'm using fromthepressbox.com to line up the dates with what was posted in the video description).

Both have unison guard movement at that point.

Really interesting to see how the show evolved as it looked very solid even on June 15th.

Edited by Continental

36 minutes ago, Continental said:

There is another video showing Phantom at the Canton OH (June 15) and Madison WI (July 12th?) shows (see below).  Not sure of the date for Madison WI as Phantom was also at DCI Preview of Champions on July 27th. (I'm using fromthepressbox.com to line up the dates with what was posted in the video description).

Both have unison guard movement at that point.

Really interesting to see how the show evolved as it looked very solid even on June 15th.

Phantom came out very hot and very prepared I thought. I was unable to attend the Canton (Massillon) show that year, but when I saw them in Philly later in June I thought they were amazing and they gave us one of the best encore concerts after the show as well. Super powerful brass line and some wonderful musical arrangements. 

3 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Phantom came out very hot and very prepared I thought. I was unable to attend the Canton (Massillon) show that year, but when I saw them in Philly later in June I thought they were amazing and they gave us one of the best encore concerts after the show as well. Super powerful brass line and some wonderful musical arrangements. 

they lit Franklin Field up that night

• Like 2

On 4/17/2020 at 11:49 AM, Jeff Ream said:

A week later at Hershey Bluecoats also looked to have promse if they figured out the closer.

On 4/21/2020 at 3:31 PM, MikeN said:

Bluecoats dropped down a bit, but Nutville is one of their great "classic" openers from the powder blue era.  Whiter Shade of Pale was a bit of a head scratcher then (man, I wish they could take that on these days in a show) that kind of came off a little flat.

I watch this at starting at 6:50ish and cannot figure out where it fell flat. Was it perfect? Nah. Were the MM and Vis Techs able to compensate for the overshot drill difficulty? heh. Nope. But fall flat?

A beautiful peace and love ballad reminiscent of the Summer of Love from which the tune came. A touching flugle solo by a recent Bugler Hall of Fame member. Insane drill velocity and musical tension reflecting the turmoil of the late 60's. Released in a massive face melting company front and power ending. Absolutely covering the field in white silks. I guess it wasn't the 6th year in a row if big band swing endings (which if it wasn't obvious in 1990, was absolutely redundant) but ... flat? Nah.

https://www.facebook.com/tom.buell.9/videos/1295133113921534/

Edited by mingusmonk

5 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

I watch this at starting at 6:50ish and cannot figure out where it fell flat. Was it perfect? Nah. Were the MM and Vis Techs able to compensate for the overshot drill difficulty? heh. Nope. But fall flat?

A beautiful peace and love ballad reminiscent of the Summer of Love from which the tune came. A touching flugle solo by a recent Bugler Hall of Fame member. Insane drill velocity and musical tension reflecting the turmoil of the late 60's. Released in a massive face melting company front and power ending. Absolutely covering the field in white silks. I guess it wasn't the 6th year in a row if big band swing endings (which if it wasn't obvious in 1990, was absolutely redundant) but ... flat? Nah.

https://www.facebook.com/tom.buell.9/videos/1295133113921534/

it never really grew. it got better, but it didn't take off like others

star of indiana - recollections
pixel.gif

by Bill Cook - Founder, Star of Indiana
Originally Written: Sept. 23, 1995
Revised: Nov. 17, 1996, Mar. 12, 1999, & January 2, 2001

THE SUMMER OF 1991
Everyone in the corps began to believe that this was their year. It was amazing to me to see these young people go out and perform Jim Prime's "Roman Images, the music of Respighi." And for George Zingali, it was his life wrapped up on the field; his images of Christianity were woven throughout the pictures which came and went as Star executed for him. Our members knew that George was dying and they knew that they wanted to give him a monument, a memorial in life.

As sick as he was, he was the backbone and spirit of the corps. He was driven by desire that few will ever understand and his will went out to touch us all. On August 4th, Star arrived in Boston. With the help of his care giver, George arrived at the stadium to meet his corps. Something happened to him that afternoon--he seemed transformed, energized. His strength had returned--it was the "old" George on the field that day--"You've got to be shittin me!" "That's wonderful!" "Cupcake, you were terrible!"

Late in the afternoon, he told Jim--"the new closer is not right." A few minutes later, he left the stadium. None of us knew where he had gone or if he would be back.. About eight o'clock, George returned and said: "we are going to have two crosses at the finish instead of one." The next five hours were unbelievable. He ran from one section to another telling members where they should be at the end of the final cross. He wanted them to count measures--"count and run around until time to make your final set." Hour after hour, the corps tried and failed but finally, at 2 a.m. the next morning, the cross was seen. The next night in Lynn, Star put in the new move; needless to say, there were more than a few wrecks at the end but we won over SCV by 1.9 points.

Star's greatest performance that year was not at finals but in Little Rock Arkansas on August 12. Most of the staff had gone ahead to Dallas, so the corps was on their own and relaxed. What they did that night will always be a memory for me. To this day, that performance remains my favorite while they competed. The word electric fits it best.

The championship week was anti-climatic because the corps knew what had to be done and were confident that they could do it. Even though they were expected to win, they were focused, relaxed, and determined.

In retrospect, I wish that the field had been cooler (it was 124 degrees) and I wish that they could have moved a little more slowly because I wanted to hear the sound that I heard that cool night in Little Rock. We became champions of DCI for the first time with a score of 97.30. A truly magical year for a corps that once wore a pink uniform and were branded as a rich man's toy.

GEORGE
That winter George Zingali passed away, but in the hospital he said: "Bill, the championship was the most wonderful night of my life." George still remains a part of the fabric of Star and I know that other corps cherish his memory as well. What more can be said of George except he lived to create, inspire and teach.

I would like to digress a moment and talk about what it takes to win a championship. First, a corps must have experience, a work ethic that goes beyond saying "I worked hard" because working hard on the wrong things will eventually ruin a corps hope for success.

I believe that staffs win championships. A corps director must instinctively know where to place the emphasis and the staff must have a music and drill book that is sufficiently difficult. A championship book must appear to be seamless--it must flow and the members must be sufficiently accomplished to make their actions appear easy. If the spectators perceive the work as being easy but executed to perfection, then the staff has done its job and the corps has learned their lessons well. Physical conditioning also is an integral part of the success formula--every member must be able to finish.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2020 at 3:13 PM, Jeffe77 said:

star of indiana - recollections
pixel.gif

by Bill Cook - Founder, Star of Indiana
Originally Written: Sept. 23, 1995
Revised: Nov. 17, 1996, Mar. 12, 1999, & January 2, 2001

THE SUMMER OF 1991
Everyone in the corps began to believe that this was their year. It was amazing to me to see these young people go out and perform Jim Prime's "Roman Images, the music of Respighi." And for George Zingali, it was his life wrapped up on the field; his images of Christianity were woven throughout the pictures which came and went as Star executed for him. Our members knew that George was dying and they knew that they wanted to give him a monument, a memorial in life.

As sick as he was, he was the backbone and spirit of the corps. He was driven by desire that few will ever understand and his will went out to touch us all. On August 4th, Star arrived in Boston. With the help of his care giver, George arrived at the stadium to meet his corps. Something happened to him that afternoon--he seemed transformed, energized. His strength had returned--it was the "old" George on the field that day--"You've got to be shittin me!" "That's wonderful!" "Cupcake, you were terrible!"

Late in the afternoon, he told Jim--"the new closer is not right." A few minutes later, he left the stadium. None of us knew where he had gone or if he would be back.. About eight o'clock, George returned and said: "we are going to have two crosses at the finish instead of one." The next five hours were unbelievable. He ran from one section to another telling members where they should be at the end of the final cross. He wanted them to count measures--"count and run around until time to make your final set." Hour after hour, the corps tried and failed but finally, at 2 a.m. the next morning, the cross was seen. The next night in Lynn, Star put in the new move; needless to say, there were more than a few wrecks at the end but we won over SCV by 1.9 points.

Star's greatest performance that year was not at finals but in Little Rock Arkansas on August 12. Most of the staff had gone ahead to Dallas, so the corps was on their own and relaxed. What they did that night will always be a memory for me. To this day, that performance remains my favorite while they competed. The word electric fits it best.

The championship week was anti-climatic because the corps knew what had to be done and were confident that they could do it. Even though they were expected to win, they were focused, relaxed, and determined.

In retrospect, I wish that the field had been cooler (it was 124 degrees) and I wish that they could have moved a little more slowly because I wanted to hear the sound that I heard that cool night in Little Rock. We became champions of DCI for the first time with a score of 97.30. A truly magical year for a corps that once wore a pink uniform and were branded as a rich man's toy.

GEORGE
That winter George Zingali passed away, but in the hospital he said: "Bill, the championship was the most wonderful night of my life." George still remains a part of the fabric of Star and I know that other corps cherish his memory as well. What more can be said of George except he lived to create, inspire and teach.

I would like to digress a moment and talk about what it takes to win a championship. First, a corps must have experience, a work ethic that goes beyond saying "I worked hard" because working hard on the wrong things will eventually ruin a corps hope for success.

I believe that staffs win championships. A corps director must instinctively know where to place the emphasis and the staff must have a music and drill book that is sufficiently difficult. A championship book must appear to be seamless--it must flow and the members must be sufficiently accomplished to make their actions appear easy. If the spectators perceive the work as being easy but executed to perfection, then the staff has done its job and the corps has learned their lessons well. Physical conditioning also is an integral part of the success formula--every member must be able to finish.

👍 That last paragraph!!!

• Like 1