Sketchbook Podcast, Ep. 28, Part 2: Chris Komnick (Executive Director, Madison Scouts D&BC)

Part 2 of the interview with Chris Komnick, executive director of the Madison Scouts is now live.

Ep. 28, Part 2: Chris Komnick (Executive Director, Madison Scouts D&BC)

Here are the questions and topics we addressed in Part 2:

• Do you read DCP?
  • How are the Madison Scouts financially?
  • Can you discuss the state of the drum corps organizationally and financially when you took over and how it has changed and improved to this day?
  • What are some of the challenges running an organization that has so much tradition, history, expectations, alumni, and yes, vocal supporters and haters?
  • Let’s talk about Majestic?
    • Was this show finally giving the noisiest fans what they wanted; an old school show that they remembered from “back in the day?"
    • Was there a point when y’all realized that things, “weren’t working?"
  • What made y’all decide to list all the available jobs on your website?
  • After the 2019 season, you hired a design team that many would NOT consider to be, “big names.” Jenifo Leseth is arguably the biggest name on the design team has worked with SCV, Carolina Crown, Bluecoats, and the Madison Scouts previously. Noah Bellamy has written for the Troopers. Your arranger, yours truly, while having arranged HALF of a show for the Colts D&BC in 2016, really is more well known for Open Class and Marching Band shows. And while they have achieved massive success in WGI Indoor Percussion & Winds, the percussion arrangers and visual coordinator would be designing at the world-class DCI level for their very first time.
    • Why this team and why not go out there and try to “Boston Crusaders” a design team?
  • With this Corona Reset in DCI, what kind of changes might we possibly see for the future?
  • Favorite Madison Scouts show?
  • Favorite tune the Madison Scouts have played?
  • Favorite non-Madison Scouts show?
  • Will we ever hear the Madison Scouts play Malagueña on the field again?

Sketchbook Podcast is available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, & wherever fine podcasts are downloaded.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 12:59 PM, danielmontoyajr said:

Part 2 of the interview with Chris Komnick, executive director of the Madison Scouts is now live.

Thanks for this podcast. I enjoy hearing creative people talk about being creative. I listened to the first episode with Evan Van Doren, and the guy sounds really bright - looking forward to SCV this summer! Wait what?

Thanks for this.  I am a long time fan of the Scouts.  (Who isn't)

I appreciate that you weren't afraid to ask some difficult questions and that Chris didn't seem to avoid them.  I can understand that he's not really a fan of DCP (neither am I at times), but I hope he knows that many of the opinions directed at him are not an attack of him personally, but are views from some very passionate fans of the Scouts.  (Although some, unfortunately, are indeed a personal attack.)  

Glad to hear that the Scouts are in a better financial state than we may have thought.  (All things considered, of course.)  I look forward to seeing the 2021 Scouts.

Would like for you to do a similar interview with some other directors and with Dan Acheson.

• Like 1