Would you still cheer . . .?

17 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The top 12 in 1989 was every bit as enjoyable and as musically and visually exciting, as the top 12 in 2019.

If anything, corps back then were entertaining more people at any given event than they are today because the music was more evenly reaching the stands. DCI's 2012 Finals sound much better on the official video than they did to me live in the 600 seats (you couldn't even hear one essential element of BD's show from where I sat), but DCI Finals from 2016 were magical for me and not matched by the recording because my seats were right above the judges. More than they ever did in the past, corps design their shows with only one small spot in mind.

DCI partly acknowledged that truth this year when they considered a proposal to spread the judges out in the stands so they hear what the audience does.

5 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

I would say also the complete unfounded snobbery the activity has created and attracted.  A LOT of people today don't want to hear a group of 12-14 year old's in a cadet corps compete.  Frankly I miss this more than top 12.  Listening to how much they improve was always very cool.  Doing more with less is being artistic.  Doing more with more is economics.

I marched in the Garden State Circuit in 68/69, and I taught and judged there in the mid-70’s to early 80’s. Empty stands, if there were any stands at all in some cases,  were not all that unusual even then. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I marched in the Garden State Circuit in 68/69, and I taught and judged there in the mid-70’s to early 80’s. Empty stands, if there were any stands at all in some cases,  were not all that unusual even then. 

Exactly

I tell all the barkers about the lack of respect or the lack of involvement in the big picture.PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOU MOUTH IS, of course most don't. Money is a game changer. WGI HS , A class is where the money is, not just support but in fees alone. WGI finally got this after a while.

Never bite the hand that feeds you. Unfortunately support is only upper corps which makes it hard to defend the others. Its not a matter of IF money and support would make it a game changer for these other corps...IT WILL...butts in seats period.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 10:58 AM, Fred Windish said:

. . . 2021 drum corps performing with

25% fewer marching members.

minimal props.

smaller pit equipment requirements.

multi-year uniform designs.

3 year old brass and percussion instruments. 

limited, basic amplification.

occasional re-use of a music selection the following year.

just one extended traveling tour.

____

I sure will !

Older, long term, fans jumped out of their seats screaming for many years with that same product. Who knew?

🤔

Do you have evidence that these are the primary drivers of costs?

2 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

Reduction in membership size, one of the items he listed, might have less to do with cost and more to do with social distancing.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ironlips said:

I will stand and cheer for any drum corps that manages to exist in 2021, even if all they do is perform in a semicircle at a delicatessen opening.

Never did a deli opening. Did a re-opening of a lumber yard. Later became the 2nd Ollie’s Discount store which is now in multiple states. 😳

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Never did a deli opening. Did a re-opening of a lumber yard. Later became the 2nd Ollie’s Discount store which is now in multiple states. 😳

One year we carried flags from a local radio station in a parade instead of our own for a small donation...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

No.  I listed some items that could become drivers of SAVINGS.

Here is a moment for introspection. To understand what we valued most about this wonderful activity.  In stressful times, we should realize many of those same values will remain. Should it become necessary for our corps to temporarily ‘scale down’ in effort to survive, our past has shown, a more ‘generic’ version will do.  Our foundation is rock solid . . . .ready for rebuild !

Don't worry folks, DCI competitors will not have to cut back on expenses.  I spoke with Bill Gates the other day and he agreed to invest $500 million into the marching arts, with $250 million going to DCI/WGI and the rest to HS band programs. The interest alone will be amazing, and for next year only all shows will be free. Now if we can keep gas prices at this level that will really be something. Just plan to take your summer off and travel. 🙂

...been coupled up too long

• Haha 1