The 1992 Thread

I really liked Phantom's "sexy guard" in '91.  

It was just so not what you would expect from Phantom.  Add the Bacchanale to what they were doing and it was programming heaven.  Shock the audience, win the audience.  I remember seeing them live in '91 and just being in awe of what they put on the field.   I was not alone. 

IMO '92 ended up being like Dita Von Teese meets Tchaikovsky.  Burlesque.  Suddenly the same programming got very old, very quickly. 

But if '92 had not happened, I'm sure their amazing programming for '93 would not have existed. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Continental said:

I really liked Phantom's "sexy guard" in '91.  

It was just so not what you would expect from Phantom.  Add the Bacchanale to what they were doing and it was programming heaven.  Shock the audience, win the audience.  I remember seeing them live in '91 and just being in awe of what they put on the field.   I was not alone. 

IMO '92 ended up being like Dita Von Teese meets Tchaikovsky.  Burlesque.  Suddenly the same programming got very old, very quickly. 

But if '92 had not happened, I'm sure their amazing programming for '93 would not have existed. 

I thought that guard design was beyond tacky, like 18-20 year olds. Particularly on finals night. JMO 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, grimmo said:

Think it's also a well known thing from the time that there was a 'step too far' backlash from fans and judges alike to the final big tarp that Star raised? The video camera angle  suggested it wasn't quite hoisted into positon either?

My experience was eagerly waiting for the taped pbs recording to be shipped over. I still recall a remark from friends that went out to watch finals. I was keen to know if Star had upped the whiplash factor from the year before. 'Star were fast but Cadets were faster'. 

SCV's first and last minutes were awesome. Anyone know why they went with the single flag and old school visual design approach leaving behind most of the theatrics of the previous few years? Was it seen as  a competitive risk going into the summer season to celebrate the anniversary in a certain way? 

From a distance it seemed like Cavies refined their way to a championship having gotten closer in the years previous, but this winning show didn't resonate with me quite as much as 89 - 91, or certainly 95.

Good comments. 

I'll start with the first paragraph. Your observations are correct. I loved Star 92 and still do...even the final banner; but in a small way it seemed Star became too concerned with the Americana patriotic effects and failed to clean feet and visual form. I still say that if they really cleaned that show instead of worrying about the cheese that they would likely have won. The cheese factor in Star's show was minimal (especially by today's standards) but some fans did whine and moan about those elements. It's nothing compared to the cheese GH threw into the Cadets 2014 show.

I actually appreciated that Star chose to do less run-and-gun for 1992. I don't think that show would have worked that way...not with that particular music. There was still plenty of visual demand, but Cadets "To Tame The Perilous Skies" show was perfect music to showcase speed. The Cadets had fabulous design from day 1, but that was likely not their most talented corps (although certainly very good), and they started slowly. Give that show to the 2013 or 2014 Cadets and LOOK OUT! Still, the Cadets did captivate the audience that night as they busted their tail-ends to grab every tenth of a point they could get. Maybe one of the dirtiest 2nd place shows ever...and yet one of the most impressive runs by a corps late season. It made you smile. 

As for your SCV comments, I honestly would not have the answer to that...but I thought the idea of that show was for it to be a throwback production. 

The Cavaliers did exactly what Cadets did in 1990. Clean, clean, clean, even if you don't have your best design. I agree with you. I'd take Cavaliers 88-91 over 92. But I still enjoyed 92, and it was very refined and beautiful. There are times you don't need the "best" designed, most innovative or entertaining show to win. Sometimes you just need a really good show that you can clean and check-off all the boxes in terms of captions. Cavaliers definitely put their time into cleaning and polishing. It's a fine fine show with a great closer (love that hymn).

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I hate hate hate the 1992 Blue Devils show. Easily my least favorite from them (by far). A nothing show among some far more interesting and forward-looking show designs. When they were announced in 4th place, it was like nobody even cared. And honestly, I thought the closer was cheesy as hell. Oh well, to each their own I guess.

1 hour ago, seen-it-all said:

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I hate hate hate the 1992 Blue Devils show. Easily my least favorite from them (by far). A nothing show among some far more interesting and forward-looking show designs. When they were announced in 4th place, it was like nobody even cared. And honestly, I thought the closer was cheesy as hell. Oh well, to each their own I guess.

Hate hate hate. Maybe not sound like  KKK person. I say this because the word HATE is used in hate crimes charges. There is not " i didn't like" crimes. And I do respect your opinion about the topic...just not the words...:}

Edited by DFA1970

Maybe don't make the vile leap of accusing me of being in any way akin to the freaking Klan just because I used a descriptive adjective that was describing a drum corps show I hated. 

A drum corps show. As in nothing of any real importance. 

Thanks. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

Hate hate hate. Maybe not sound like  KKK person. I say this because the word HATE is used in hate crimes charges. There is not " i didn't like" crimes. And I do respect your opinion about the topic...just not the words...:}

FFS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great comments from most.

1992 Blue Devils was an awesome show. Thanks to them, Cuban Fire by Stan Kenton is one of my go-to albums when I need something to listen to.

I still get nostalgic when hearing the opening hit from Cadets, because so often that was what I heard just before or just after going on the field

A few personal remembrances from 92, which I haven't shared in the eighteen years of posting on Drum Corps Planet:

Playing the closer 'Under the Sun' for the first time, in a gym in Philadelphia. A staff member said after we finished, 'That's going to be what they're talking about in Madison.'

Warming up for a pre-season DCA show in Jersey City, with the lights of Manhattan big as life in the hornline's field of view.

The absolute worst rehearsal field ever in Newark, Delaware.  

Being in Canada and doing a show in Montreal.

The early mornings on the field-lining crew, and having to make a can of white spray-paint last.

The afternoon after a disappointing finish at DCI North when Shorty told us that if we did the work, we would beat Blue Knights, Vanguard and Phantom by finals. It happened.

Staff quotes: 'So you think you're hot #### because you beat the (insert corps name here)?' and

'If you #### the bed tonight, I will kill you.' (repeated for emphasis)

In the stands at Vanderbilt Stadium (Preview of Champions) after our show, and suddenly Vanguard color guard women come up the stairs into the stadium. I remember thinking: So this is why they sing about California Girls.

The roar of the crowd at DCI East finals.

Beating the Vanguard for the first time. It was a drum major only retreat, and I was on a walkway under the stadium when we heard the score announcement. The assistant director was near me and gave me a huge hug, and she said: 'I just wish Carl were here' (director Carl Ruocco was not with the corps that night). At the time I didn't quite understand what a big deal this was. The next day we were told that it was ten years to the day that the Garfield Cadets first beat the Santa Clara Vanguard.

Pittsfield, Massachusetts: Celebrating a win in both brass and percussion with our staff as the Cadets of Bergen County played a victory concert in the background.

The incredible color of the sunset behind Camp Randall as we approached the stadium for finals. (For some reason, I have no memory of how cold it was.)

A drumline member proposing to a color guard member after our finals show.

The surprise and absolute thrill when we topped not only Vanguard, but Phantom at finals, and the absolutely deafening roar of the crowd when Star was announced in third. The videos do not register how loud it was.

• Like 1