The 1992 Thread

I concur with others, 1992 is one of my favorite seasons in DCI. I went to High School in Anaheim, Ca and 3 of our own (all incoming seniors) marched with VK, including the the great James Goodrich who played the "opera singer", so we had a vested interest in VK and man did they deliver. 
5bd2ed51629f4b0a832f60ff_aDSWkrP1eBmUiRe

Broadcast:
Madison Scouts were entertaining as well, love the way they kicked off the show with sop solos. The drumline brought with the most iconic moments towards the end of their drum feature with so much love from the alums.

The Blue Devils -  The dice and soultry hornline. Funny how Vern Johnson in the tenorline kicks off a small dance ditty with the Bell Biv Devoe's "Poison" drum motif while the hornline strips off their uniform jackets to set up "When a Man Loves a Woman"
maxresdefault.jpg

The Cadets
What impress me about the show was the drill, cologuard and mellophone line. Cool to see that airplane formation.
5bd2eb84629f4b0a832f563b_fFH8QSyezo4BpAO

Star of Indiana
For whatever reason, the first viewing of the show was not memorable, subsequent viewings got me to appreciate the show. Especially the hornline of course. 

The Cavaliers
One of those shows that was destine to win a championship. That opener, good God!! The visual, just amazing. The percussion program, especially the front ensemble was fire. What a remarkable show.

VK - What fun show and first time I noticed a corps causing the audience to laugh. The shark, enough said.
59265592_138929387274280_562233332782020

Blue Knights (9th) - Can't go wrong with Copland
Phantom Regiment (8th) - Was slotted 6th going into finals and let's be honest, not their best performance. The battery not so clean. Heck of a repertoire. Got to love David St Angel flipping off the judges during the retreat when PR was announced 8th, lol (3:15 mark of the video - vid should start there btw)

Santa Clara Vanguard (7th) - Fiddler and that drumline was sick

Crossmen (6th) - What can you say, wow. What a show. Appalachian Morning, piece in 5/4 was impressive, but the star of this show was no question Rainforest and that drumline was grooving. Goosebumps.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mfrontz said:

Great comments from most.

1992 Blue Devils was an awesome show. Thanks to them, Cuban Fire by Stan Kenton is one of my go-to albums when I need something to listen to.

I still get nostalgic when hearing the opening hit from Cadets, because so often that was what I heard just before or just after going on the field

A few personal remembrances from 92, which I haven't shared in the eighteen years of posting on Drum Corps Planet:

Playing the closer 'Under the Sun' for the first time, in a gym in Philadelphia. A staff member said after we finished, 'That's going to be what they're talking about in Madison.'

Warming up for a pre-season DCA show in Jersey City, with the lights of Manhattan big as life in the hornline's field of view.

The absolute worst rehearsal field ever in Newark, Delaware.  

Being in Canada and doing a show in Montreal.

The early mornings on the field-lining crew, and having to make a can of white spray-paint last.

The afternoon after a disappointing finish at DCI North when Shorty told us that if we did the work, we would beat Blue Knights, Vanguard and Phantom by finals. It happened.

Staff quotes: 'So you think you're hot #### because you beat the (insert corps name here)?' and

'If you #### the bed tonight, I will kill you.' (repeated for emphasis)

In the stands at Vanderbilt Stadium (Preview of Champions) after our show, and suddenly Vanguard color guard women come up the stairs into the stadium. I remember thinking: So this is why they sing about California Girls.

The roar of the crowd at DCI East finals.

Beating the Vanguard for the first time. It was a drum major only retreat, and I was on a walkway under the stadium when we heard the score announcement. The assistant director was near me and gave me a huge hug, and she said: 'I just wish Carl were here' (director Carl Ruocco was not with the corps that night). At the time I didn't quite understand what a big deal this was. The next day we were told that it was ten years to the day that the Garfield Cadets first beat the Santa Clara Vanguard.

Pittsfield, Massachusetts: Celebrating a win in both brass and percussion with our staff as the Cadets of Bergen County played a victory concert in the background.

The incredible color of the sunset behind Camp Randall as we approached the stadium for finals. (For some reason, I have no memory of how cold it was.)

A drumline member proposing to a color guard member after our finals show.

The surprise and absolute thrill when we topped not only Vanguard, but Phantom at finals, and the absolutely deafening roar of the crowd when Star was announced in third. The videos do not register how loud it was.

Question - What happen to the guard member who was on a cast finals night?

star of indiana - recollections
pixel.gif

by Bill Cook - Founder, Star of Indiana
Originally Written: Sept. 23, 1995
Revised: Nov. 17, 1996, Mar. 12, 1999, & January 2, 2001

THE SUMMER OF 1992
Jim and the staff wanted to try to make Star more accessible to the public. They were ready to go back into time and perform a book that would hopefully be identifiable. And so "American Variations" was designed. Jim wanted to experiment with a form of visual that utilized body motion, executed by the entire ensemble. This experiment was tried in only one number, "Amber Waves" and it appeared that motion had a favorable impact on the audience.

To the folks seeing the show for the first time, body sculpting appeared be a gimmick, but as the year wore on we knew that visual body movement should be explored further. It had to wait until 1993.

Star folk loved this show; it was beautiful and many fans identified with it. The last week, a giant scrim was thrown up; a 40 feet high by 60 feet wide Lady Liberty covered the front of the entire corps. It was a great visual but not one that was universally accepted (said with a grin.) We ended our season with a third in Madison with a score of 96.7 behind the Cadets of Bergen County and the new champions, the Cavaliers who had a score of 97.5.

JIM MASON'S PSYCHE IN 1992
For Jim, 1992 was a pivotal year because the show was designed for a broad audience appeal and the result was a hostile crowd. At that time, he decided to explore different directions. His frustrations led him to the 1993 Medea program because he wanted to give the organization a vehicle where they would be in control of their performance from beginning to end.

Looking back at Medea, there were no opportunities for the audience to react until the show was over. This concept made some of the audience uncomfortable and created even more controversy. I guess that was Jim's vengeance. Also at that time, he began to contemplate doing something other than drum corps with the Star of Indiana. Perhaps the seed of Brass Theater was planted during this period.

WESLEY
Another friend and staff member left this life in 1992--Wesley Johnson. His easy smile, beautiful agility, and his love of teaching will be remembered by all of us who were privileged to know him.

THE PBS TELEVISION BROADCAST
On the morning of the 1985 championship, I met Don Pesceone, Executive Director of DCI, and he asked if our company would be interested in sponsoring the championship telecast in 1986. I answered that we would be interested.

From 1986 through 1992, our company was either a co-sponsor or sponsor of the championship telecast. Since there was no one with television experience at DCI, Don later asked if I would produce it and I accepted the job of Executive Producer. I remained Executive Producer until 1992, but our sponsorship continued until DCI took over the responsibility in 1993. I'm very proud of these telecasts and had many intelligent people to rely upon. Tom Blair and Keith Klein are two indispensable individuals who taught me that excellence could exist in the production of a DCI championship. These are the men who made the DCI Championship a highlight for PBS. Steve Rondinaro, Michael Cesario, Charles Webb (Dean of IU School of Music), and Curt Goudy all gave freely of their time. Most of these men worked only for expenses which says much for people who are more dedicated to the activity than they are to self-interest. The television broadcast looked professional, was expensive to produce, and these men gave of themselves to make it happen. For the record, the broadcasting of the championship cost between $150,000 and $200,000 depending upon the year.

CONTRIBUTIONS TO DCI AND OTHER CORPS
From 1985 through 1993, Star, Jim Mason, Cook Group, and I tried to make a difference in drum corps. Jim, the staff, and I served on task forces both as members and advisors to DCI. Jim was the official member of DCI and I served as an advisor from 1987 through 1992.

When we left DCI, Star or the Cook Group had contributed over $1.5 million to DCI and to other corps. Star sponsored all four DCM All Star appearances at the New Year's Cotton Bowl, Orange Bowl, and Fiesta Bowls (twice) in addition to the first Macy's Thanksgiving parade appearance of the DCM/DCE All-Stars; the appearance of Phil Driscoll at the Kansas City World Championship who played the "Star Spangled Banner," trumpet solo; the appearance of DCA's Steel City Ambassadors at the 1990 World Championships in Buffalo. Jim headed the All-Star drum and bugle corps that played two "Star Spangled Banner" renditions in both Madison and Kansas City. (These corps consisted of 1200 and 1500 members respectively. The first one was under the direction of Pepe Nataro, a friend who is gone.)

Corps that have received either prizes, grants or loans from either Star or Cook Group are: Colts, Troopers, Phantom Regiment, Magic of Orlando, 27th Lancers, Crossmen, Velvet Knights, Spirit of Atlanta, and eleven other organizations. The amounts ranged from a minimum of $1,000 to $150,000. In addition, Rick Snapp, a Cook computer manager, and I wrote the financial, sales order, and championship ticketing programs that DCI has used since 1990. DCI's three computers were given to DCI by Star. Cook Group Companies sponsored and produced the DCI World Championships for five years.

Star founded on behalf of DCI the DCI Foundation which still maintains an office in Bloomington and administers such scholarships as those given in the names of the Americanos, George Zingali and others.

Employees of Cook Group and a large contingent of former corps members from all DCI corps staffed the hospitality tables stationed in five to seven hotels through the various championship cities. For all of us drum corps was not just Star, it was the entire activity. Yes, this information has not been discussed until now, but Star members and their friends deserve this explanation. If there must be an epitaph for Star, for Jim, for me, and for Cook Group, it should be -- we tried!

A Personal philosophy I believe that all humans are to some degree competitive, moody, happy, sad, angry, tranquil, and cooperative. The Drum corps experience is guided by association with many different personalities who have joined together in an attempt to achieve and possess the above traits to a greater or lesser degree. I believe that drum corps organizations can only point the route but not predict the destination.

I try never to fear change, I enjoy risking the unknown, and I try to seek guidance through previous experand instead of 'Ready, aim, fire!," it may be better to "Ready, fire, aim!" I believe that a human should be prepared (ready) to act, then act (fire), and finally analyze what was done (aim.) Instinct exists in all of us but so often we fear the unknown to the extent that we are incapable of action.

I ask readers: "do we always need to analyze and discuss before acting or should we learn how to react based upon circumstances and cumulative history of the past?" (Invention is based upon instinct and then trial but status-quo is based upon copying.) I believe that if one goal is reached, there should be another goal waiting. If failure results, try again and again. You have all heard this before but "do you believe it?"

A personal perspective on drum corps I believe Star and other corps members strive to be better humans as a result of their drum corps experience. I believe that Star and other corps members are products of many points of view and they are surrounded by teachers and people who care about them. Within their organizations, they are respected for what they are--young people seeking their way in life. In return, they are loyal and very proud of what they have accomplished.

I believe that Star and other corps teach pride in personal accomplishment which is achieved by honesty and work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

i went back and rewatched today. Stars drumline in 92 does not get nearly enough love.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

Question - What happen to the guard member who was on a cast finals night?

Pretty sure it was just a sling - I'm not sure what kind of shoulder injury she had, but it was determined that she could march the show rather than sit out completely. 

Edited by mfrontz
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2020 at 9:06 PM, Jeff Ream said:

i went back and rewatched today. Stars drumline in 92 does not get nearly enough love.

Agreed, very underrated. That season, Star marched 9 snares, ended up being the biggest snare line in Star's history. 

1992 - Cavaliers Field Percussion Judge - Enjoy.

By the way: Timpanist - Rell Lafargue (91-93) was incredible.

20 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

Agreed, very underrated. That season, Star marched 9 snares, ended up being the biggest snare line in Star's history. 

mylar!!

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

mylar!!

Absolutely! Interesting note, they were the last drumline to win high percussion with mylar (1993)

• Like 1

My second year in DCI and my rookie year at Regiment. Like the year before, I hadn’t really planned on marching but somehow found myself in Rockford in November and had a spot in the corps. Man, what a summer. We almost didn’t have a start at all, with nearly a 1/3 of the corps nearly getting hauled off to jail the night before first tour. (Luckily a corps parent convinced the farmer not to press charges. I wasn’t involved. Honest.) So many wild ups and downs— I think the only two corps we didn’t beat at some point that summer were BD and Star. Five parades on July 4, a crazy all night rehearsal in Natchitoches (it smelled weird), a half day off at Niagara Falls, the Horlick field lining crew, “sex gym” (I think it was this year. Might’ve been 94. I forget.) A love letter to DCI by our contras, written in white tape (I have a picture) left on the field after retreat. The death shrouds that never really were, but remained a pain in the hornline’s ### nonetheless. Kites, kites and more ####### kites. Dodging gopher holes (and gophers) at Beyer field. Brazale running rehearsal from the top of the equipment trailer, chain smoking and giving us all kinds of hell for screwing up his forms. Cesario’s pep talks. And so many other things. Even ending the way it did (we still took 6th in just about all non percussion captions) I had a great summer and made some great friends.

Edited by year1buick
Details
  • Like 2